The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Unbelievable!

Home Forums Horse Racing Unbelievable!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    CavCav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4811

Im in New York at the moment and I’ve just discovered I cant place a bet on the betting exchanges, it isnt allowed here!! I’ve been to Middle Eastern countries that are more liberal. Really unbelievable.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Welcome to the land of protectionism and the Christian right.<br>Those from the UK running exchanges have been threatened with arrest and prosecution in the US

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

I’ve heard that if you mention the word ‘Liberal’ in the US, you are arrested as an insurgent and bundled off to Guantanamo Bay.<br>There are only two parties in the US.  Conservative and Republican ;)

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I’ve been to Middle Eastern countries that are more liberal.

Could only think of Isreal myself :)

CavCav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4811

Well I’ve placed bets with the exchanges while in Egypt, Syria, Morrocco, the Gulf countries, Nepal for Gods sake! but cant do it in in Manhatten New York…

PurwellPurwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 654

Why are you surprised? The Yanks always suppress anything that does not make money for them. Maybe one day the world will wake up.

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

How many punters will not go to the Breeders’ Cup because of this? Here’s one anyway.

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

I saw your column on it Zorro, and to think I thought Britain was a nanny state. USA takes it to new levels.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Zorro,

Just in case you had a nagging thought that Louisville might be different – it isn’t.

I’ve not tried to access Betfair on my English mobile but certainly I can’t strike a bet via my laptop at Churchill Downs.

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

Thanks Adrian. Shouldn’t think the phone will be any different. I’m sure they’ll have a way of detecting the source of the call.<br>Have they changed the decor at the Galt yet?

deltaman
    • Total Posts 190

"When the people find that they can WIN themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic"…….Benjamin Franklin.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Zorro – they have spent $20 Million updating the Galt if you believe their hype.

Certainly the bar nr the lobby doesn’t exist anymore – replaced by more lifts and escalators.

They have built a massive bridge between the 2 towers on level 3 – looks like a mini Kew Gardens and is called the Conservatory.   This houses a bar where the actual long bar is a 30 foot aquarium for tropical fish!

Just found a good sports bar/restaurant next to the track with dozens of TVs but, unlike Trackside, no betting opportunities…

You will be missed – particularly by the Tote tellers in the press box – and we’ll raise a glass in your honour tonight.

All the horses arrive Sunday evening except for the Ballydoyle team who arrive Tuesday teatime.<br>  

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

No-one likes the 100% book. In this country they are rigging the SP’s, the Yanks have their own way of dealing with things, to rip people off .. sledge-hammers and nuts come to mind .. !

Pegwell Bay
    • Total Posts 208

It is still possible to use certain high street bookies websites to place bets (Billy Hills being one) if you opened your a/c in the UK, although how much longer this will last I don’t know. I’m sure it will go the same way as Betfair soon.

Then your only choice is betting via the US tote – the biggest legal version of theft I have ever seen in my life. I don’t know what the exact takeout is, but whenever I see a market on a race over here my eyes nearly pop out at such shocking value and heavy overround. And, it is only very occaisonally that such as TVG (racing channel in US) covers UK racing anyway.

I have the misfortune to have to live in this God-fearing, fascist country for the next few years and look forward to the day I can move back to Blighty!

‘America is the land of the free.’ (What a joke!)

Fortunately I’m having a 3 week visit to the UK next month: Real beer and real betting! :)

(Edited by Pegwell Bay at 9:41 am on Oct. 30, 2006)

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

I don’t know what the exact takeout is

It varies, but at Churchill Downs it’s:

Win, place, and show: 16%<br>All other wagering: 19%

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.