The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ultima Chase

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Tizaaards Cider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 639

Fantastikas could be an each way play here.

7th last year off a mark of 144 and down to 135 on his last run.

He stinks to me of an absolute plot job because he’s been running below par so far this season but that’s done the job of dropping his mark sufficiently.

33’s seems worth a stab in the dark anyway.

TakeYourTime
    Participant
    • Total Posts 593

Thanks Grass, all going well so far :good:

Happy to stick with Oscar Elite. He did himself no harm winning a Grade 2 last time. That said, Joe Tizzard frightened me at his preview night when saying owners are thinking of supplementing him for the Brown Advisory! Hopefully they see sense and send him here.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

I’m with you TakeYourTime, no baby on the way but Oscar Elite has to have a tremendous chance, just not sure whether to take the standout 11/1 (top 4 e/w) with Coral now or take lower odds with more places.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

The Wolf is now 8lb below the mark off which he chased home Lord Accord here in October.

He shaped with renewed promise at Ascot last time and if he gets in he could outrun his current odds.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Have backed Happygolucky 14/1 with coral, will add Oscar Elite tomorrow

Interesting shout with The Wolf Ian, a very attractive price

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

The problem with the wolf is he tries to take a fence or 2 with him in most races , no doubt he,a well handicapped though

Tizaaards Cider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 639

I’ll be backing the wolf if he gets in. He’s absolutely going to bolt up in something at some point.

But he’s also absolutely capable of running like a camel. And his jumping is very average truth be told. He’s a stupid bet for a race as competitive as this really!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Corach Rambler for me. His victory last year came at the end of his first season over fences, and his run in this season’s Coral Cup promised a season of more prizes. He finished 4th in that, and the winner won again at the weekend; the 2nd Remastered has won, as have Annsam and Oscar Elite, both behind Corach Rambler that day. That was a cracking run at Newbury from the Scottish horse, given that the ground would not have been ideal.

He won at last year’s festival on good to soft, and he will get that ground again, or softer, due to Cheltenham’s watering policy. At the time of writing, trainer Lucinda Russell has won with her last 4 runners and looks to have a yard coming into form at the perfect time. I’m pretty confident Corach Rambler will be half the price he is now – 8/1 – come raceday.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

I like the same two as Ben

Happygolucky and Oscar elite

Pulled the trigger at 14s on Happygolucky will likely back oscar elite on the day

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

“Interesting shout with The Wolf Ian”

I like to think of it more as a howl at the Moon, really.

Anyway, TC’s never wrong (except when he disagrees with me) and The Wolf will reach a point where he’s dropped down the weights so much it’s ridiculous and he will do a Zanza and absolutely bill up in something and go back up a stone.

This will suit him better than Ascot.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

“Corach Rambler for me”.

The condundrum with Corach Rambler is that last season Cheltenham was the target and he ran Jan and Feb. This season Aintree is the target and he not ran since November. We saw what happened with Le Milos at the weekend, he needed it, didn’t win, and connections were pleased with the run. That could happen with Corach Rambler as well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Mike while you make a good point, I’ve just looked at Lucinda Russell’s form and her last 5 runners have all won! That’s enough to make me think the horse will be 100% fit, as a result I’ve backed him too! The bigger issue for me would be him potentially carrying a over a stone more this year, though he’s only 6lbs higher than in last years ultima, he carried 10-2 that day and is set to carry 11-5 this year. Having said this, he won so well 12 months ago that I think he’s still worth a chance.

Very happy to leave it at that with my bets for this race now with Oscar Elite, Happygolucky and Corach Rambler.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1703

This looks like a Grand National dress rehearsal with 8 of these potentially lining up at Aintree.

I’ve backed both Corach Rambler and Happygolucky for the National and I fancy them both here too. I don’t see it as a negative that they have another target. This race often favours those who have been there and done it and these two looked better than handicappers when they ran here previously. I’ll wait for the enhanced place terms until committing.

I just wonder if we’re sleeping on Our Power a little bit? Placed in the race previously and is in rare form this season. 6lbs isn’t too harsh a rise for his last win. Another one I’ll wait until the day for.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

The race has not filled so everything declared is guaranteed a run.

Tizaaards Cider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 639

Fantastikas and the wolf both jocked up.

40’s the pair.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7473

Ten within 5lbs at the top sums this up:

Tea Clipper 162; Karl Philippe 162; Oscar Elite 160; Laskalin 159; Happygolucky 158; Glamorgan Duke 158; Remastered 157; The Big Breakaway 157; Nassalam 157; Monbeg Genius 157

The one that catches the eye out of those is Oscar Elite. He has shown his best form at this time of year, last run suggested a revival (albeit in a Mickey Mouse contest) and he was close up in this race last year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1035

Happygolucky was second here two years ago on similar ground. He has been off for some time, but his comeback run at Newcastle behind L’Homme Presse and Into Overdrive was very good. Then he ran over 2m4f at Cheltenham, but that is too short. I also like Monbeg Genius. He is one of the youngest horses in here and clearly on the up. I can see him improving again.

Happygolucky 14/1 EW
    Monbeg Genius 14/1 EW

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.