The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Trainer of The Year 2006

Home Forums Archive Topics Trainer of The Year 2006

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Same as before all those with more than one nomination.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Voting will conclude this saturday evening (23rd) at 6 pm.

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Tim Pitt,Jim Bolger and Evan Williams would all be worthy winners.Personally I have voted for Bolger as I thought he played his hand well towards the end of the season.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Nicholls is the obvious choice, but i’m disappointed to see only six entries.<br>Can’t even back e/w 1-2-3 :(<br>Shocked to not see Henderson or Pipe in there :o

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from Racing Daily on 12:50 pm on Dec. 19, 2006[br]Nicholls is the obvious choice, but i’m disappointed to see only six entries.<br>Can’t even back e/w 1-2-3 :(<br>Shocked to not see Henderson or Pipe in there :o

Pipe didn’t have a good year last year. His worst in 10 years.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Quote: from davidbrady on 1:24 pm on Dec. 19, 2006[br]

Quote: from Racing Daily on 12:50 pm on Dec. 19, 2006[br]Nicholls is the obvious choice, but i’m disappointed to see only six entries.<br>Can’t even back e/w 1-2-3 :(<br>Shocked to not see Henderson or Pipe in there :o

Pipe didn’t have a good year last year. His worst in 10 years.<br>

True, those were just examples of who could have also been included.  Any problem with Marcus Tregoning and Aiden O’Brien? ;)<br>Pam Sly is in there, so I assume the flat is included.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

TDK

This poll clearly shows why democracy is overrated.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Don’t worry dj.  I’m just messin’ wid ya ;)<br>I’m not that pedantic.<br>While Evan Williams has had a very good season, I couldn’t call him top trainer.  It has to be Nicholls, be that a rather dull choice, out of that list.

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Quote: from thedarkknight on 1:50 pm on Dec. 19, 2006[br]Amazed so many are voting for Pumpkinhead :o

Any Tom, Dick or Harry could train loads of winners with his ammunition imo…<br>

Agreed……..

voted for Evan, he can not only train many winners but he can transform horses that he accquires.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

TDK,

There must be some reason why he has that ammunition, not every Tom, Dick or Harry could acquire the horses he trains.

JohnJ.

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

You or I, RD, couldn’t afford a horse with Paul Nicholls, sah, sadly.

I tend to agree with TDK here.  While he clearly is talented, he hasn’t half got some serious ammunition and all the necessary logistics.

And what did Hobbs say last year? There’s too much b*****ks
    talked about the training game.

Find hill. Point horse in right direction. Gallop. Repeat.

Pammy Sly, on the other hand, trains for the likes of us, usually with horses found in fields, or hidden at the end of Goffs or the Donny Breeze Up.  Pocket change horses destined to be trained near some Cambridgeshire cabbage fields and targeted at Leicester handicaps.

And yet despite this, her horses run consistently. And straight; the market is an excellent guide. She can land gambles. She gets them fit from a layoff. The horses win at a comparatively good percentage. She’s well capable of bringing horses back from the doldrums; and then train them to run up sequences. Flat or jumps, it’s all the same to her.

Oh…and somehow, in the teeth of adversity and against all the odds, Mrs Sly managed to win a British Classic thus keeping the dream alive for all of us commoners who love the sport of kings.

Vote Pam, I reckon.;)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from johnjdonoghue on 4:13 pm on Dec. 19, 2006[br]TDK,

There must be some reason why he has that ammunition, not every Tom, Dick or Harry could acquire the horses he trains.

JohnJ.<br>

Fair point but it’s like saying that Jose Mourinho is the best manager in England

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Quote: from Maxilon 5 on 4:17 pm on Dec. 19, 2006[br]<br>And yet despite this, her horses run consistently. And straight;

Say what you will about Speciosa, but one thing she doesn’t do, is run straight.  :biggrin: She weaved so far over the Rowley Mile that her urine sample wasn’t tested for banned substances but for alcohol.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Quote: from davidbrady on 4:20 pm on Dec. 19, 2006[br]

Quote: from johnjdonoghue on 4:13 pm on Dec. 19, 2006[br]TDK,

JohnJ.<br>

Fair point but it’s like saying that Jose Mourinho is the best manager in England<br>

Thats not really the point David. Nicholls obviously started like any other trainer in the business and has built his stable and profile up through his career. To turn around and state well any Tom, Dick or Harry could do what he is doing is quite flippant. He obviously has earned the right to train the horses he has, its not like he started day training a stable full of superstars….

JohnJ.<br>

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

It’s quite clear how hungry Nicholls was for success I think.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.