The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Toronado

Home Forums Horse Racing Toronado

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 447

Just got home and watched a replay of the St James. R Hughes terrible ride definitely cost Toronado that race. Why on earth did he have to drop him out the back so far that he had to use copious amounts of energy just getting up to the front. The horse also pulled for a couple of furlongs. Definitely would have won if he’d been closer to the pace. I did not bet on this race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Did you see the 2000 Guineas AOTF?

3 of Toronado’s 4 victories (and his best form) came by front running. Yet in the 2000 Guineas he was unable to lead (with other front runners as well as pace makers in the field) pulling his chance away.

Today there were again pace makers and other front runners in the field. Therefore, Toronado again could not front run, being unlikely to settle if (as the 2000) once again given a prominent position. Completely understand (given the other prominent runners in the field) a decision to hold the horse up with a wall of horses in front of him to increase the chance of settling. For sure Toronado was a little free early, but relaxed far easier than at Newmarket; putting up a career best effort. Argueabley unlucky not to win, having recieved a hefty bump.

In my opinion Admiral (and I did back Toronado) – it was a great piece of race riding that almost paid off.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 790

Backing horses Hughes is riding is an occupational hazard, I’ve noticed a few times lately he’s had the decision between two or three of Hannon’s and gone for the wrong one.

It’s also incredibly annoying when he holds a horse up, is cruising yet can’t get a run often see this happen although in fairness to him he does win a fair few on the bridle to.

Today though I thought he gave Toronado a decent ride, he avoided trouble ‘a la Mars’ and was possibly unlucky not to win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

Toronado has ran an almighty race today the excuses that came after the Guineas have been somewhat justified. Being by High Chaparral will improve with age, has a blistering turn of foot as shown today and is next years Prince of Wales winner unless he wins the Queen Anne :lol: . Great ride by Hughes and having just watched it again was probably worst affected by the bump.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I wonder how much Toronado’s step forward is due to Dawn Approach taking a few steps backwards. I doubt this was the same horse who ran away from him in the Guineas. Real shame that Magician didn’t turn up as I am sure he would have traded pretty short having sat in the ideal position had he been able to quicken in a similar manner to his previous races.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1401

Always thought that Toronado would get much closer to Dawn Approach. Was still pretty miffed that he lost though. Can see him getting revenge in the same way that Raven’s Pass did with Henrythenavigator.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

My impression was different from everyone else’s by the look of it. :?

Personally I think that’s probably as close to DA as T is going to get over a mile. Once again I thought Kevin Manning struggled to settle his horse and DA made things hard for himself. I think if Bolger can overcome the colt’s quirks he will improve considerably on that performance. I’m not convinced that Toronado will.

indocine
    • Total Posts 489

His record so far if he has the pick of the multiple entries is

1st of 4
    3rd of 3
    2nd of 2
    1st of 3
    3rd of 4
    3rd of 3

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

Oh to be human.

indocine
    • Total Posts 489

2013 1/4 3/3 2/2 1/3 3/4 3/3
    2012 2/4 3/3 1/2 1/2 3/3 2/2 3/5 1/3 3/3
    2011 4/4 2/2 1/3 3/4 2/2 1/3 1/2

Hanagan may have had odd one for Hamdan in there that Hughes couldn’t ride, not sure, wasn’t that fastidious.

So he was on the first home of Hannon’s 36% of the time and on the last home 45%.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

What’s his record like overall in the Group 1’s when there are multiple Hannon runners over the past few years?

indocine
    • Total Posts 489

What’s his record like overall in the Group 1’s when there are multiple Hannon runners over the past few years?

Dunno, not interested in breaking it all down. Just did Ascot as that’s what on. I don’t care personally, nothing I’ve said would stop me wagering on Hughes because I seldom factor in jockeys. Just did it for fun as superficially he appeared to have the choosing success rate equivalent to a blind strawberry picker.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

Wood and trees. Did Richard pick the wrong one in the Greenham and 2000 Guineas a few years back when Dick Turpin on both occasions finished ahead of Canford Cliffs? I don’t think it is as straight forward as looking at what order the Hannon horses finished then there is other factor to take into consideration that can effect an individual race ie draw, pace, tactics, good ride, bad ride, going, luck in running, picking the wrong one :mrgreen: , etc, etc.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

I seldom factor in jockeys.

Blimey, there’s two of us!

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Don’t think Hughes deserves much flack so far, expect his lemming approach on Stirring Ballard, though she wouldn’t have won anyway. Seldom pick out jockeys for criticism but watching Frank Spencer has not been pleasant so far. His ride on Educate is one of the worst I have seen, truly awful.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

I seldom factor in jockeys.

Blimey, there’s two of us!

Mike

Three.

If it looks as though there’s going to be no pace or too much pace – then jockeyship can have a big effect. Otherwise, (imo) punters over-estimate the improvement top jockeys get out of their mounts.

I am always amazed at how much criticism jockeys get. Punters need to understand different temperaments of each horse and how it needs to be ridden given particular circumstances. In a slowly run race the best place to be is at or near the front, but that is only if a horse can settle. Many can not adopt a prominent position, too free given a view of the front. A jockey needs first to settle the horse and having horses in front helps some horses.

In contrast some need to lead, otherwise they race indolently or pull hard to get to the front. Some need an unobstructed view (not necessarily in front, but to the fore of the arrowhead). So if there are many prominent runners some horses will still need to go with a strong pace.

It’s all part of a punter’s craft to search out who’s likely to be suited by the probable pace, going and trip. I know it is difficult :lol: , but we as punters (and non-punters) sometimes need to just accept pace was not in the horse’s favour; the jockey had no option and so was not at fault. Although of course sometimes it is the jockey’s fault. :wink:

Value Is Everything
    CSkinner
    • Total Posts 6

Great post.

Regarding Toronado and Dawn Approach. If Toronado was to beat DA, this week was the week. I only think DA will further improve with a proper preparation unlike this week.

The best horse won on Tuesday.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.