The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Topspeed Going Allowance Calculation?

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Topspeed Going Allowance Calculation?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Can anyone tell me how TS calculates the time based ground?

Could you refer it to the results at Fakenham today please.

<!– m –>http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/past … =2008-1-14<!– m –>

I dont need how the TS figure itself is calculated.

Thks.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Can any speed genius help with this at all?

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I’m no genius, on speed or otherwise :D but I presume they use historical data to determine what the time based ground is by comparing the going allowance on the day to that of past meetings.

So if the ground is normally -1.2s/f when the going is Sft at Fakenham, then a going allowance of -1.19s/f would suggest Sft ground and not Gd/Sft.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Just out of interest (can’t access the RP site just now), are the figures for Fakenham very low again?

Based on recent results and speed figures from the course, I can’t help thinking something has changed…

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

I’ve made it a resolution not to post about such matters since I was accused of being a hypocrite on Betfair for pointing out flaws in RP’s methodology in this and other areas.

Besides, I can’t remember any longer how TopSpeed is calculated.

Perhaps you could contact the Post directly.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Thanks, but "I can’t remember any longer how TopSpeed is calculated."

There was something published in the Post about three years ago. Worth a repeat, I would say.

robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 899

The actual race distances at Fakenham appear to be far longer than advertised, so Dave Edwards may be having to make some "additional" fudges to the normal RP method so that more realistic figures come out of the maths. (Taunton, Sedgefield, Kempton, Carlisle, Uttoxeter etc have similar dubious race distances, based on race times)

The basic method has been summarised in the Systems section.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Cavelino Rampante,

I’m afraid at this time of year in particular, the usually reliable Topspeed going allowances and the resulting ‘time-based going’ are (as robert suggests)guesstimates rather than the usual logically derived estimates.

This is inevitable as many jumps courses change their configurations and race distances on an ad hoc basis to suit the climate and the ground, probably with good justification.

As a result, Topspeed figures are often questionable for jump racing whereas they are much more reliable on the flat.

Exactly what the ground was like on a particular day at a jumps fixture is therefore debateable, to say the least, and cannot be deduced conclusively from the race times.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.