The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Time for Francome to go?

Home Forums Horse Racing Time for Francome to go?

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 865 total)
  • Author
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

Jeremy,

From the papers at the time :

Most noticeable for viewers will be the decision to use different presenting teams for the Flat and jumps seasons, Alastair Down and Alice Plunkett covering the winter game while Mike Cattermole and Emma Spencer focus on the Flat.

billion
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4375

It is interesting reading all the postings and diverse comments.

C4 IMO produces a SHOW, yes an entertainment SHOW for television and with all the hype surrounding Cheltenham it should attract some new interest and those viewers if entertained may become followers of the sport.

However will they never learn that Thommo is only fit for pantomime whilst Big Mac is like something from the Adams family who is placed in the betting ring surrounded by complete morons and if C4 did achieve anything worthwhile with regard to promotion these clown undo all that goes before them.

Billy's Outback Shack

Nick Baker
    • Total Posts 82

Nearly a week since I emailed them; still no reply.

To be fair, that’s not like them. Every time I have sent an email Tanya or at least someone using her account has replied pretty quickly, certainly that week and once or twice my emails have been forwarded and the recipiant got back to me including from the BHA. I guess they’ve had lots of similar complaints and are still wading through them :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Cheers for the confirmation, AP. Relieved I didn’t dream that one up completely! 8)

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

They obviously gave Tanya a stylist a while ago. I think she actually looks very smart but I do feel that all the poor girl wants to do is study the form and the betting market and can’t really be doing with all that fashion stuff. If we want fashion icons in the world of racing Sarah Cumani and Sarah Hobbs just about fit the bill; taste and class personified imo.

• Total Posts 2432

Irrespective of their strange wardrobes, Tan, Alice, Lesley and Emma et al are like the Oracles of Delphi in comparison to the vacuous presenters of The Loose Women Show.

We don’t know how lucky we are at times in racing.

Emerald
    • Total Posts 66

Today’s Post just goes to show you can’t please all the people all the time – one praising the C4 Cheltenham coverage to the hilt, the other saying what rubbish it was!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I agreed with all the sentiments of the second letter in the Post today, its embarassing and annoying watching C4 anymore and now the flat season is here I don’t think I’ll bother much from now on.

Nick Baker
    • Total Posts 82

Irrespective of their strange wardrobes, Tan, Alice, Lesley and Emma et al are like the Oracles of Delphi in comparison to the vacuous presenters of The Loose Women Show.

We don’t know how lucky we are at times in racing.

But shouldn’t they be compared to other racing or sports presenter rather than presenters of a show that caters for an entirely different audience? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one of those men who complain about them just because they’re women and quite frankly don’t mind any of them too much apart from Plunkett who I just can’t stand.

deltaman
    • Total Posts 190

Dubai World Cup…."Sorry we can’t tell the the winner, we have to go Bye!" :twisted:

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I had a feeling Channel 4’s Dubai coverage would be awful, as only they could interview Andrew ‘Freddie’ Flintoff during their coverage. I’m sorry to go on but they’ve totally lost the plot for what is a supposed to be a programme about horse racing.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Dubai World Cup…."Sorry we can’t tell the the winner, we have to go Bye!" :twisted:

Cue the ‘Sponsored by Dubai’ advert as they close. Classic.

Today, as much as I love watching C4 Racing, was a poor show.

deep sensation
    • Total Posts 139

To be fair to the C4 Racing Team, it’s not in their hands to over-run the allotted time slot. That decision lies in the hands of whoever is in charge of transmission at the time. If the C4 schedule is rigid, there is nothing the producer can do to get the extra couple of minutes needed. Also, they were slightly victims of circumstance. The World Cup was due off 17:45 GMT but didn’t go off for around 10 minutes later & then they had the closest of all finishes & Meydan obviously doesn’t have Hawkeye technology as we do at our racecourses.

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Other channels manage to bend the time slot to accomodate extra time, running over or whatever, all it needed was 2 or 3 minutes. As Dubai sponsors the coverage I’d have thought they might just have been willing to give that.

As for the presenters, no other sport on TV has such compliant and weak fronts people. There are a few gems such as Stevenson and Luck but can you imagine other sports being interested in the likes of Graham, Thompson or Plunkett?

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

You’ve got to wonder what future racing has on C4 if despite being paid millions by the sport they prefer to go to a repeat of Come Dine With Me in preference to waiting for the all important result and aftermath of the Dubai World Cup.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6317

I agree with a lot of what has been said on this thread BUT and its a big but…..
    The racing on channel four is trying to attract new viewers and not just us diehards that want to see insightful comment and intelligent information.
    As is the case with most television nowadays it has been dumbed down for the general viewer.
    As far as individuals are concerned I agree about McGrath not saying enough because he does have a lot of knowledge which he is reluctant to share. Francome is entertaining at least and he does occasionally point out a good price winner or tell you a jolly that cant win. Stevenson is fantastically informative and the rest are pretty much for the general veiwer.

To conclude its all we have terrestrial wise and we have to put up with it I am afraid.Or maybe thats just me being a fatalist!!

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

raymo61
    I’m sure they think they are trying to attract new viewers but do we honestly believe that? People aren’t going to be attracted by buffoons and interviewers who spend all their time trying to chummy up and name drop. By going foe the lowest common denominator they achieve what? Annoying the true fan and attracting who? Are viewing figures going up for racing?
    They are supposed to have rebranded yet what we have is just the same old stuff. A real change was needed with new, up to date presenters rather than more of ho ho ho and Lesley Graham.

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 865 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.