The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

THM Goes Jumping 2012-13

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips THM Goes Jumping 2012-13

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 244 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

With Listowel not far around the corner it’s almost that time of year again where a few of the better horses start reappearing after their summer vacations. One such horse runs in Cork today: Mossey Joe. He’s always looked a classy performer and is although he is rated higher than his three rivals he is in receipt of weight. He took a crashing fall when looking like finishing second behind Sir Des Champs at Punchestown, but that is the sort of form I doubt the rest of the field can achieve nowadays. Won In The Dark used to be a useful performer at around 2 or 2 and a half miles but his best days look to be behind him, while Gimli’s Rock is a gutsy if limited operator. I see today’s race as a straightforward task for Mossey Joe to regain winning ways.

3.35 Cork
    Mossey Joe
    €20 win @ 8/11 Ladbrokes

As promised here are the ante post bets from the last thread:

King George 2012
    Grands Crus
    €10 e/w @ 8/1 William Hill

Arkle 2013
    Trifolium
    €5 e/w @ 25/1 Boylesports

Gold Cup 2013
    Flemenstar
    €10 win @ 14/1 William Hill

Champion Chase 2013
    Sizing Europe
    €10 e/w @ 10/1 Paddy Power

- €80[/color:2zlze85v]

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Mossey Joe

backed into an SP of 1/3, predictably stuffed :roll:

• Total Posts 1217

Ouch… :cry: looked like he’d win easily, but emptied quickly in the last few furlongs, something amiss or just a bit of a monkey?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I’d say there could be an element of both unfortunately Rich. He’s always seemed like a horse who does his best work on the bridle and I was really worried with three to jump as Gimli’s Rock will fight all day. That being said, he emptied so quickly that I’d imagine there was something amiss. It’s nice to see some of the good’uns back though!

• Total Posts 15015

Good luck this season THM, hopefully you can dig out a few from your side of the water to keep an eye on, and I’m hoping Lyreen Legend will repay your faith in due course.

Unlucky with Mossey Joe, I’m sure you’ll get the chance to get a few quid back from him later in the season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Thanks Venture, really looking forward to the jumps season now. I’d say the time to back Lyreen Legend will be first time out, when he should have no problem of taking an average beginners chase.

Don’t know about Mossey Joe to be honest, didn’t hear any explanation for his recent dismal effort and I’m beginning to think he’s a bit soft. :?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I’ve decided to give

Mossey Joe

one more chance today at Cork, for small money.

3.25 Cork
    Mossey Joe
    €2.50 e/w @ 10/1 (WH)

- €85

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

Sizing Europe now availabe at 12’s with Sporting Bet for the QMCC Tommy, I know your on at 10’s. It does look tempting just concerned they might step him back up to 3 miles this season?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Hi Pants, sorry for only replying now, I haven’t been on here much lately for a number of reasons!

I’m not overly worried about the possibility of him stepping up to three miles to be honest. His key asset is his ability to jump and travel at high speed and he doesn’t have that advantage over three miles. The Ryanair might be an alternative for him in fairness but if he gets to Cheltenham in the same form as this year then the Champion is the only race I can see him running in.

Tomorrow’s race seems a tricky affair to work out! Sizing Europe has been below par on his seasonal debut for the past two seasons, while First Lieutenant will surely come on for the run. China Rock is about as reliable as the weather while Joncol could do with more cut in the ground. I’m confident that Sizing and First Lieutenant are the best horses in the race but an upset wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest. Who knows, perhaps it will be Forpady’s day :shock: I’d make First Lieutenant a tentative selection.

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

No worries Tommy, have backed FL tomorrow at 9/2, SE has been below par first time out last two years so think he may be vunerable, certainly too short in the market.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

The beginners chase at Gowran looks a decent contest with

Jetson

the one I like. He’s always looked a classy sort, and I’m not convinced by the favourite nearest The Pin. I thought Moon Dice was a handicap snip after the Greatwood but he lost his way thereafter. I think he’s the main danger to my selection.

4.20 Gowran Park
    Jetson
    €5 win @ 7/2 (Boyles)

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Jetson

ran a nice race yesterday and looks like a winner waiting to happen over fences.

Sizing Europe

was the star of the show, he was much too good for his rivals on the day but I was disappointed that Henry de Bromhead didn’t mention the Tingle Creek afterwards. I wouldn’t be worried by

First Lieutenant

‘s performance at all, he’s still a contender for the big races later in the season.

Today, I can’t believe the price of

Thousand Stars

. I’d have him as favourite as in my book Rebel Fitz needs to step up, even allowing for the 5lbs he receives. That rival also has race fitness on his side, so even though I think he’s too short in the betting, I respect his claims. I’m a bit puzzled that Ruby has chosen to ride Blackstairsmountain, he probably knows something I don’t. In fairness, that horse has often threatened to put in big performance, but rarely has he delivered. He’ll no doubt be held up for as long as possible. I’d prefer Captain Cee Bee’s chances (no surprise there), but I don’t think he has it in him any more to beat a proven Grade 1 horse like Thousand Stars.

3.40 Gowran Park
    Thousand Stars
    €20 e/w @ 7/2 (PP)

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I hope you kept the faith in the old boy today Tommy?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Nope Gord I honestly thought Thousand Stars was the one to be on at the prices. If he was fit he would have had some chance :roll: Probably pretty naive on my part thinking otherwise. Nonetheless, was great to see the Captain romp home like that, he’s given me some great days and by the looks of things there’s still plenty of races to be won with him :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Some good action today with

Hazy Tom

making his fencing debut at Towcester and some NH types running in the finale at Navan, including

Go Native

and

Jezki

It would be asking a lot for Go Native to win today having been off the track for so long but here’s hoping he shows signs that the ability is still there.

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

Have you heard any news on QDLR for the new season Tommy?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Unfortunately haven’t heard much Pants! I’m not as ‘in the loop’ with the yard’s horses as I was this time last year but last I heard he was back in and going nicely, with the JNWine.com at Down Royal his first big target. Hopefully he’ll be fit to race this time because he never recovered from what was a grueling race last year :? If he’s over his ailments he’ll be hard to beat. Can’t wait Voler to come out again, and to think they brought her to Presenting last year! Thank God she didn’t go in foal :)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 244 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.