The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

THIS WEEKS GOLFING ROADSHOW

Home Forums General Sports THIS WEEKS GOLFING ROADSHOW

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

G’day all and as always to my fellow Tiltleist followers Swallow Cottage and MikkyMo plus all others who have joined us.

Well the action cranks up another notch this week with no fewer than 4 tournaments to sift through, just as well there are no tournaments in the good old UK at present :lol:

Will begin this week with the Ladies, although they do no start for a few weeks yet we have the Women’s World Cup to sort out.

Sweden and the USA look to have a particularly strong hand here and as such respective prices support this so for me not today thanks.

Had thought about the Scot’s in the hope that they can emulate the men, but after crossing the T’s and dotting the I’s have decided to row in with Brazil who at the odds available will do for me.

Moving on now to the Mastercard Championship, this marks the start of the Senior’s Tour and at first glance cant’ see beyond the first half dozen in the Market, taking a chance here arnt i :lol:, but have decided to go along with Fred Funk , Bernhard Langerand one at a price Jim Thorpe.

Moving on to THe Bob Hope Classic, or in my case No Hope :lol:.

14’s the field here suggest the very open nature to this,

Having just been run out of it the other week have to give Mike Weir another go, he seems to be enjoying some kind of renaissance lately.

The supporting cast are made up of Lucas Glover and a couple at decent odds those being Mark Calcavecchia and Bubba Watson.

Had thought about a blast from the past and good old David Duval[/b:3g9qh4pp] but thought better of it in the end.

Finally for this week and for me the start of the Europen Tour and no finer place to start than in one of my favourite parts of the world Dubaiand the Abu Dhabi Championship and what a stellar cast assembled for this as indicated by the very open market again 12’s and upwards available.

Stepping up to the Oche Here are none other than Padraig Harrington,loyalties i’m afraid, the supporting cast consisting of Robert Karlsson, Ross Fisher sorry Pete and lastly Mark Warren given the hope that he live’s up to Monty’s Expectations from when they won the World Cup recently.

Well that’s it from me for the time being, so as always whatever your picks BE LUCKY

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Best of luck Adrian in the women’s golf and the Senior’s tournaments. I see that BF have markets up for both these events so maybe this year they are going to start regularly producing markets for the women and senior tours.

Well done again to Mike for picking last week’s winner in the Sony open…..I wonder if he has sobered up yet :)

The best tournament this week is in Abu Dhabi where my jinx player Adam Scott is favorite. I am not going to bet on him as he has not previously played this course or much golf in the last few months and is without a win for nearly a year.
    My main selection is Henrik Stenson who has finished 2nd and 8th in his two attempts to win this event and lives in Dubai. He has recently started to show signs of returning to the top form he produced in early 2007.
    My next bet is on Peter Hanson who played consistently last year without winning and is due a change of luck. Finished a runner up at this event last year which is encouraging.
    My last bet is on Ross Fisher who I am hoping will progress further in 2008.

Over in the USA, it’s the Bob Hope Classic in california. This is a pro-am event over 5 days and takes place over 4 courses. I don’t like this tournament much because the amateurs often include some so called celebrities who the US golf channel can take too much notice of in their coverage instead of concentrating more on the pro golf players.
    Each pro has to play a round of golf with 3 amateurs for the 4 days from wednesday until saturday. Some pros dislike this and find it distracting whilst others such as Phil Mickelson seem to enjoy it. The cut is not made until the end of the 4th round & the final round consists of the pro players only. It’s very open and it’s going to be difficult to pick the winner in my opinion and my ‘ short list ‘ had about 15 players on it :lol: The long hitters may have an advantage on these courses and I’ve gone a bit mad and bet on 5 players instead of the normal 3 because I found it difficult to separate them . Here they are –

George McNeill – Has a good overall game and won a pro-am tournament in Las Vegas at the end of last season. He finished 17th last week in Hawaii and it is encouraging that his bogey free 4th round of 66 on sunday was the best of the day. 80/1 looks value imo.

Steve Marino – A long hitter and I was surprised he did so well at the Sony in Hawaii when finishing 4th as it is not a course which really suits his strengths. Maybe he has been working hard on his game during the winter break? If he can reproduce the accuracy etc from last week then he should go close.

Lucas Glover – This guy has lots of talent but can sometimes be hot headed and a bit moody. He would easily have won this event last year if he had made par on the final round instead of making a score of 8 over. He often struggles when he sees his name near the top of the leaderboard but If he’s in the mood then he will go close and 33’s is overpriced in my opinion.

Troy Matteson – One of the long hitters on the usa tour and he also performed better than I expected last week in Hawaii. He looked to be an improving player in autumn 2006 when he had five consecutive top 10 finishes including one win. He did not progress as expected last year but has been working hard over the winter on trying to improve his accuracy etc and it seemed to pay off last week. 55’s is a fair price.

John Mallinger – Chose him as my player to watch on the 2008 US tour in Mike’s challenge. I think he has the ability to win or go very close to it in at least one of the pga events this year and this is not a strong one. He is not a big hitter but his best performances have come on the par 72 courses and he started last week’s event well before fading. I am probably being too optimistic but if he wins at odds of 125/1 then I will be able to go to Hawaii on holiday this summer :D

Sorry for the longer write up than normal but the horse racing was so dismal today that I needed to do something to keep my mind occupied.

Good luck to everyone.

Pete

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Hi chaps,

Well there’s nothing worthwhile on TV and I’ve got half an hour to kill while I sup my hot chocolate. Yes Pete, you heard correctly, I said hot chocolate, not my last can of Grolsch :lol:

So it’s time to post my golf selections for this week and first, as always for me, to the European Tour, which has now moved on from South Africa to Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates :shock:

It’s a qualify field for this time of the year and I’m going to make four high profile each way selections – all based on previous course form. My first, and strongest selection is that veteran Spaniard Miguel Angel Jimenez at 22/1 (25 on BF). Miguel finished 5th two years ago and tied 2nd last year, so he obviously likes this course, and more encouragingly, he usually plays well at this time of the year.

Two others with decent course form are Henrik Stenson and Colin Montgomorie, both with two top 15 finishes to their name from the twice they have played here. Stenson is a great talent who looked to have the world at his feet just 12 months ago, but his progress was halted somewhat towards the latter part of the season as he missed a lot of cuts for someone of his class. At a best price of 16/1, I will be having a saver on Stenson rather than a serious bet.

Monty on the other hand, as most of you will know, is my favourite ever sportsman. I think the guy is pure box office wherever he turns up and we should never question his class despite his ageing years. He is getting married this year, and his mood away from the course is apparantly the best it’s ever been for a long time going into a season. He certainly looked relaxed last Thursday on Golf Night and I think this guy has one more really good year in him.

I certainly won’t be doing what Jeremy Chapman did last year, and announce that I don’t think Monty will ever win again (Monty won the following week after JC’s bold claim). Monty can be backed at a best priced 40/1 (48 on BF), but I have also backed him at 22/1 with Stan James to be the top UK & Irish golfer this week.

My final selection in Abu Dhabi is for Peter Hanson who finished runner up last year to Paul Casey. Hanson is a very consistent player who rarely misses the cut and can often be found flirting with a top 10 slot. I’m hoping that a reproduction of last years showing is on the cards this week, and at 35/1, he represents a good each way shout.

And so to America where for some strange reason, the Bob Hope Chryser Classic seems to be poorly attended this year in terms of quality. No Tiger, no Mickelson, no Vijay, no Furyk, no Garcia, no Goosen, no Choi, no Rose – in fact, there is not one player in this field ranked in the worlds top 20. I can guarantee you that when there is only one PGA Tour event in a week, this will not happen again this year.

But still, there must be a winner, and my strong fancy in this multi course tournament is Scott Verplank at a general price of 20/1 – who incidentally is the 2nd highest ranked player in the tournament (world ranked 25), behind Stewart Cink who is ranked 24 in the world.

My other two selections here are previous winner (and runner up) Jesper Parnevik at 66/1 (70 on BF) and Chris Di Marco, also 66/1 (70 on BF). Parnevik seems suited by this set-up and I’m hoping he has eaten enough rocket dust to do himself justice this week, while Di Marco was winning at this time of the year two seasons ago when he won the Abu Dabhi tournament. Perhaps it’s significant he is playing here rather than in the UAE.

As always, good luck folks – may your tips be lucky and at least one of us can finish in profit. Don’t forget to select your golfers in the fantasy league also.

I’m off to put my hot chocolate in the microwave – did it really take me 40 minutes to type this while my drink went stone cold :cry:

Mike

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

Have had a punt on Fisher, Clarke and Jimenez
    Good luck everyone.

wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

Morning Campers, apologies for what seems a lack of interest on my part this week, other things have taken priority, at first glance a huge washout for us all, although i have one throw of the dice left in the Mastercard, as they say the old ones are the best ones :lol:.

Brazil need a great day today in the Women’s World Cup but you never know.

Have a good day all, for me the office awaits although not much on today.

Cheers for now.

Adrian.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Good luck Adrian in the Mastercard event. As for Brazil in the world cup, it’s a pity that this is the golf and not the soccer :)

My golf picks in the USA are all in danger of missing the cut :oops: Mallinger did not start though which saved me some money.
    I have not given up hope on Stenson over in Abu Dhabi and he is playing better than he has for a while. Kaymer may be difficult to catch and is playing very good golf but he has failed a few times in the past to hang on to his winning lead.

Pete

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Henrik Stenson nearly gave Mike and myself another winner but could only manage 2nd :(

It is rare for Adrian ( wakeman ) to go more than a week or two without success and yet again he has come up with a winner. His selection Fred Funk won the Mastercard Senior event. So big congrats to Adrian and I hope he enjoys his few beers in celebration :)

Between us we have now managed to pick at least one golf winner for the first 3 weeks of 2008. Can this success last?……..possibly but do not rely on me especially after the abysmal performances of my picks in the USA last week.

Going to be some good this week with Tiger playing and I am looking forward to it :)

Pete

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.