The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

This afternoon has been a bracing reminder. . .

Home Forums Horse Racing This afternoon has been a bracing reminder. . .

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Professortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 505

. . .of why I despise all-weather racing. No wonder the bookies love it!

Only one bet: Piscean.

So don’t say the P word.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28409

I don’t like AW either so I don’t bet in it.
    That’s not to say AW doesn’t have its place.
    Leave it for the guys who do enjoy AW.

Value Is Everything
    obiwankenobi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 349

Most entertaining bit of AW is watching them get them in the stalls, then its time to put the kettle on!

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

AW racing saves the day again when the pretentious jumps stuff can’t go ahead, even if it wasn’t too cold for the precious jumpers, the sun would have been in the wrong place or something.

If racing wants to survive the corruption, bunny lovers, whip haters and the oncoming great depression, it will have to embrace AW racing more than it currently does.

America and the Arabs don’t have a problem with AW racing and look at the money there.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

America and the Arabs don’t have a problem with AW racing and look at the money there.

Who, in their right mind, would want to aspire to anything the Americans or, especially, the Arabs do in racing?

JJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2033

Who, in their right mind, would want to aspire to anything the Americans or, especially, the Arabs do in racing?

Haha!

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5503

Despite you despising AW, you had a bet and so presumably watched it too Prof, why?

I despise the X Factor and would never dream of watching it, let alone betting on it

The TV Remote’s off button is a clever invention

Of all days, today strikes me as being a particularly fatuous one on which to loose-off an anti-AW tirade. If it has a purpose to serve, that purpose was served today was it not…

…to keep the show on the road and the turnover turningover courtesy of those who like AW and it would seem those worrying souls the bookmakers love, the serial and compulsive gambler

AW doesn’t interest me, and therefore I had another betting-free day, which was jolly nice actually

My chosen races to hopefully unearth a bet will be the 2.30, 3.30 and possibly the 4.30 at Musselburgh, and they will be attacked with that little bit of extra verve and relish a welcome short break provides

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

It’s like that religion that ignores medicine, science, progress and just wants it to stay like it always was, back in the old days…

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Of all days, today strikes me as being a particularly fatuous one on which to loose-off an anti-AW tirade.

Agree 1000%.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1335
    Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 401

Do they ever run on turf if there is snow lying on the ground ?

I didn’t like Wolves this afternoon – it was quite pretty but it just didn’t look right

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1292

In response to sberry
    I personally have no interest in the sandpit racing that is on offer in this country.
    That said, if it affords some pleasure to punters, or affords opportunities, to connections of horses , then good luck to them.
    However the comments such as "Prententious", "precious jumpers", are wholly misplaced, and possibly the most idiotic I have ever heard on this forum.
    Comments about sun levels etc show an absolute disregard to safety of jockeys and horses.
    Get a grip mate, and get a grasp of reality of the dangers in the sport

Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1335

Do they ever run on turf if there is snow lying on the ground ?

I didn’t like Wolves this afternoon – it was quite pretty but it just didn’t look right

Harness racers do-there’s the famous St. Moritz "White Turf" of course, and tracks in Scandinavia, Germany and Russia run in winter with snow tires.

Tracks here rarely close due to snow unless it’s a white-out (i.e. that 2010 blizzard), high wind warnings, or conditions worsen during the afternoon. Up north every track has equipment to get rid of the snow quickly. While UK courses are bigger than those in the US, it shouldn’t be that much more difficult to plow them.

del_boy
    • Total Posts 386

there are some good races on the all weather if you know where to look. i dont tend to let the all weather itself deter me from a horses chance.

a lot of money can be made if you know where to look i guess. i do agree though that the quality of the fields have decreased over the years. remember one horse which was probably my favourite all weather horse, gentlemans deal.

but, on the other hand, im sure all of you will win your money today on big zeb.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Coggy, mate, it’s called balance.

I enjoy NH as well as flat and AW but any comments I make are no more idiotic or misplaced than the constant criticism and deriding of AW racing on this forum, which is supposed to be horse racing’s foremost forum, so take them as they’re meant – maybe it’s you should get a grip, sunshine.

All racing should be equal, at least on here.

Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 401

i do agree though that the quality of the fields have decreased over the years.

All the better AW horses are running in Dubai

I don’t follow Dubai but when i catch it on ATR I’m always surprised at what i consider AW stalwarts over here running for a hundred grand over there

Also noticed an increase in the number of ‘our’ AW horses now turning up at Deauville and Dundalk

From a punting point of view this doesn’t bother me……..if I’m looking at a race from kempton on a Wednesday night I’m only interested in the horses that are running. I’m not worrying myself about horses that could be running but are not !

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1292

sberry –
    "Pretentious jumps stuff" and "precious jumpers" in the context the latter phrase was used , don’t sound the comments of a NH enthusiast to me.
    Similarly if you cannot see the possible safety implications in jumping towards a low / setting sun, then I am surprised.
    I think that if you re-read my post you will see that it did indeed highlight a balance , in that I stated that although I have little interest in our all weather racing, I do see a need for it e.g. to generate revenue for the sport

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.