The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The tree

Home Forums Lounge The tree

Viewing 6 posts - 290 through 295 (of 295 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

It is great talking to real countrymen and perhaps a gamekeeper is not the best example. But give them their due,they are close to the land and use their knowledge of it to an advantage. Few understand them and yet that knowledge is unquestionable.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

Cor Blimey it’s October and before the first frosts have arrived I find myself moving to pastures new. The Jerusalem artichokes were dug up and laid out for me to retrieve on one of my final visits to the allotment yesterday.
    King Solomon was a very wise chap. Only he could come with “chop the child in half and let the two women share it.”
    Not quite as wise, the local Town Council split my good sized patch in two between men.
    King Solomon was alive and breathed. That’s the only connection between the good folk of the town council and the great man. One made great fair and wise decisions, the other just made decisions based on “LCD” the less hassle based lowest common denominator.
    One thing both plot holders will enjoy is tons and tons of additional black and incredible soil which several years of repeat layering of permaculture have been added to the numerous no dig beds I’d set.
    Both plotsmen were my neighbouring plot holders and both had designs on my plot.
    One in a friendly upfront way the other not. Envy is not a nice thing admiration is.
    Allotment holders have one thing in common. We are temporary and won’t have a plot for ever even if we may imagine we will.
    My grandad was probably one of the best farmers of his generation. Based on a tiny rugged hilly area on the idyllic Caribbean island of Nevis. Josiah Maynard lived to a ripe old age low 90’s and tended livestock and arable and supplied not just the entire island, but shipped his animals and produce off to Saint Kitts as well. He had time to father six girls and two boys for which I am immensely grateful. Having held a variety of jobs Department store Furniture Salesman, Customs Officer, Fishmonger and Gardener, it’s taken a while for his genes to come through but here they are and blessed with his easy going nature and tried and tested thought process I’m happy to leave my beautiful plot behind and look ahead to another challenge.
    You can take nothing with you except what you can carry. I’m not one for rotavating under any circumstances but I do know once the artichokes were dug and lifted the new incumbent will have switched on his machine and chopped up his soil to a fine tilthe.
    Like the iceberg that sank the titanic the artichokes accumulate rapidly and push downwards and unless you carefully dig them out they will continue to push down and outwards for a year and a day and there will be forever a patch of my old allotment that will be always be Jerusalem.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

As sone of you know I’ve had a bit of a summer. All seemed to be going well with the trip to Cheltenham courtesy of Big G and an enjoyable day out for the Gold Cup.
    But then, there was to put it simply, a relationship breakdown which led to me finding myself homeless from June to September. I continued working and tried to continue my various projects. Above all else I held on to my Volunteer post as a gardener at Helmingham Hall which has been been a wonderful assignment. I’m still there and have developed several good friendships while learning lots and lots each time I’ve been there.
    The first thing I found myself doing as a homeless person ironically was to write poetry. Being outside a lot more than usual gave me a better insight into nature’s beauty and writing it down sent me to a very good place. I’ll put up a few nature related poems on here.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

Here’s a poem I’ve written recently. It concerns a mate who has an allotment in a different part of town.
    Live poetry
    Felixstowe Suffolk
    Walton parish
    Written 0600- 0645
    Friday October 4th 2024

Dan’s Chilli’s
    Dan my allotment friend is far far away
    In fact in a hospital bed he lays.
    He’s asked me to go to his veg patch this day,
    Watch over his produce and take some away.
    He’s worried all his labour will be ferried away by neer do wells and miscreants who often do go
    Who steal what they never tended
    Nor what they did sow.
    I attended in failing light later that day
    Sunset had passed light falling away
    I picked squashes and tomatoes at Dan’s specific request
    Those he’d transfixed on I left most of the rest
    The pumpkin peppers and potatoes will all come up next
    But I’ll leave for instructions which will come by text.
    Like Churchill directing from his hospital bed,
    Our Dan’s like a general so I’ve done what he’s said.
    He can rest easy the jobs all in hand.
    I’ve run them to his mother and she understands.
    Dan’s Mum is amazing and she takes the crate
    But its her cannine connection to which I relate.
    She’s a poem for another day a poem I’ll relate about the foxes 🦊 of Foxgrove and the lady who feeds them.
    But for now I’ll just say if you only could see em, it’s a tale I’ll soon tell on its own for good reason….
    In addition to his squashes and toms which were ripe, his bright red chillies also caught my eye
    I decided to pick four to take home and try.
    It was the tiniest slither to go in my dinner
    But the strength of Dan’s chilli 🌶 meant it was a winner.
    It helped put me in the right frame of mind,
    To leave the allotment shenanigans a long way behind.
    There are more important things with which to be concerned.
    It’s a product of humanity,
    Which shows you have learned.
    It’s Friday now so get a move on.
    You’ve got a million and one jobs which all need to be “won”.
    Sometimes drawbacks take the wind out of one’s sails.
    A positive outlook protects you from fails.
    You’ve had racism, bullying and all that goes with it corruption for good measure as greed tries to swing it.
    When you encounter these imposters
    Always say “ bring it”.
    Show your integrity will alway stand tall.
    The ability to take on and stand up to it all.
    You are not perfect and you’ll sometimes fail.
    But if you’ve stood by your principles, over these obstacles you’ll sail.
    You’ve proved you are truer than all whom have challenged you.
    You’ve come up with solutions which they could not do.
    And despite their best efforts,
    They’ve not stood up to you.
    And that is because all your principles are true.
    You’ve walked away from trouble
    You’ve even turned your cheek
    Instead of roaring loudly
    You’ve been humble and meek
    You walk tall and proudly
    Of your name they’ve had to speak.
    Now back away and be quiet and work on your plans.
    You’ve made all your fight backs and all of your stands.
    Now it’s time for reflection, disappear into the night.
    So long as you win the war
    You don’t need to win every fight.
    You’ve poetry to compose and books to produce.
    Shows to direct and directions to choose.
    Concentrate on being creative and you’ll never lose.

Participant
    • Total Posts 13238

Sam, I’ve only just realised you were back writing in The Tree. What
    an absolute delight. I loved your simile with King Solomon, you just
    have a way with words that us mere mortals can only look on in admiration.

Dan is lucky to have a friend like you. I can’t wait to hear about the
    cannine connection with his Mum. I’ll be keeping a loukout from now on :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2263

Hey sporting Sam nice to see you back :good: sorry to hear your had difficult few months
    Onwards and upwards :good:

VF x

Viewing 6 posts - 290 through 295 (of 295 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.