The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Smug Henry

Home Forums Horse Racing The Smug Henry

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 762 total)
  • Author
    Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Whilst believing that everyone has a right to an opinion ,I think that lastword possibly should be deprived of that right after posting one of the most ludicrous views that I have ever read. Get a grip mate

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

Hi chaps,

I’m new to the forum. My name is Chris and I live in Newmarket, around a mile from Warren Place.

I’ve been following Frankel’s progress with some interest. For my money he’s probably the best miler we’ve ever seen. And it is fantastic that Sir Henry has him. There honestly isn’t a kinder fellow in racing. A true gentleman and again, for my money, the best flat trainer of all time.

Regarding today’s race, well I’d have thought Canford Cliff’s supporters were counting their money for much of the race. He sat in a perfect position on Frankel’s shoulder, and if he were a good enough horse he’d have won the race. He didn’t, the terrific four year old was well beaten, destroyed in fact, by a three year old. That’s some feat at the best of times, a three year old taking on the older horses, but when the older horse in question happens to be the fantastic Canford Cliffs you have to think it weas little short of an epic performance from Frankel I think.

I hope nobody minds me expressing an opinion as a newcomer.

I went down to the start at the Rowley Mile earlier in the year to watch Frankel going in and coming out of the stalls. THere are a few pictures on my Flickr site here if anyone is interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28097764@N … hotostream

Participant
    • Total Posts 1416

RACING DAILY – DID I MENTION WORKFORCE ..NO , what planet are you on ???

also just seen the Hannon interview and he says he didnt like the track ….didnt like running downhill but then it was pointed out that he did the same at newbury …which let me think …isnt that quite flat ???…

maybe this is your favourite horse or something , i dont know , but let me just point out ive never bet on Frankel , hes not my favourite , i have no other interests in him , but i do accept that he is the best horse of the year (AT THE MOMENT)

It doestn matter one jot to me if there is a rematch and the places are reversed , i just wish people wouldnt shout their own prefered horse from the rooftops and then make excuses when it loses , as i said earlier , i stopped doing that when i was 10

I didn’t say you did mention Workforce. What I did say was that it has been mentioned that Frankel broke CCs heart, and that was why he hung. Did Nathaniel break Workforce’s heart too? Or was it that Workforce had a good excuse for getting beat? GET IT?
    The thread doesn’t revolve around just your posts, I am talking in the context of the whole thread.

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

Wow – that was breathtaking! Frankel treated the race like an exercise canter. He breaks more sweat before the race than during it. I expected him to win but not in that manner to be honest. Canford may have been below par, who knows, but the track can’t be a good enough excuse – he won the race last year!

I was lucky that today was the quietest day this year so far in my office…I snuck into the boardroom and watched Frankel in all his magnificence on the widescreen TV. I’ve been a fan of Frankel since his Royal Lodge win and his Guineas victory left me open-mouthed for the first time in years.

We can quibble about the form all we like on here, but for today, I’m just going to appreciate Frankel’s greatness. I received very bad news on a personal level yesterday, and Frankel has managed to put a smile back on my face – he’s just quite something.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Your reasoning goes astray because you fail to factor in that

Canford Cliffs

was ridden to try and win the race, whilst

Rio de la Plata

was ridden to pick up the pieces. He’s therefore flattered by his proximity to the Hannon horse, as you rightly say – but not because Canford Cliffs ran below his best. He tried his best, and it broke him. His finishing so close to Rio de la Plata reflects that fact.

In this case, relative ratings are pretty much irrelevant.

Pinza
    You carry on gauging horses on supposition; I’ll stick to what I saw – thank you.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Pinza
    You carry on gauging horses on supposition; I’ll stick to what I saw – thank you.

Don’t get tetchy,

Reet

. You did not see it accurately, dear boy, and judged what you

thought

you saw by inappropriate criteria.

"Supposition"

really does not enter into this one.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

First of all a great performance from an amazing 3yo who deserves all the plaudits, for me he is the Denman of the flat.

But now when will we see him race again?

The International at York could be a chance but the next Group 1 race over a mile is not until October at Ascot unless they go to Deauville.

Cant see him going to Haydock for the Sprint Cup so what will it be for this fantastic horse?

• Total Posts 661

Stunning performance by Frankel… another exercise canter today.

If every horse was at the best of their abilities, Frankel would beat any animal from 6-10 furlongs in my opinion, and that includes that Australian thing… I doubt it would get within a few lengths of the best horse Sir Henry Cecil has ever seen (take not of what Sir Henry says by the way).

Sometimes you just have to ignore ratings, times, even your own opinions to some extent, and instead take note of what people who have been in the game for decades say about Frankel.

On visual evidience most of them are saying that Frankel is the best horse ever. That’s good enough for me, and it’s backed up by my own thoughts. I’ve certainly never seen a better horse in the last 25 years or so.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Apart from the Greenham, Sir Henry Cecil has taken Frankel on a same 3 year old route as Brigadier Gerard. I half suspect that we will next see Frankel in the Champion Stakes.

Apparently, Sir Henry Cecil said that Frankel may continue in training at four.

I really do hope so.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 32997

Look, whether Canford Cliffs ran to form or not does not matter.

Fact is connections of winners are always going to be gushing in praise and connections of losers always want to make excuses for their dearly beloved. Don’t take any notice of what people say, just enjoy the race and rate the horses on that.

As Max Boyce would say, "I was there".

Terrific performance. Best I’ve seen on a racecourse (been going racing since 1983).

Rio De La Plata is a good horse but exposed. Is not going to get any better.
    It is interesting that Rio De La Plata’s established Timeform rating is 121. At my normal mile lbs per length of 2.33 lbs:

2.33333 X 7.5 (lengths) = 17.5 lbs

121 + 17.5 = 138.5 rounded up to 139 performance rating. After the Guineas I thought 140. But add a few pounds for ease of victory and it’s 142. The same as Timeform rated his 2000 Guineas which I now agree with.

Canford Cliffs probably ran below form. To a rating of around 127. But the fact is the Marlborough Mauler has never produced a rating of Frankel’s performance today. To me the Hannon horse did not have the same gleam to his coat as at Ascot and Newbury… And although I thought Frankel did not look in top shape in the pre-parade ring, was far better in the main ring. Sweating slightly but that’s him; always very calm. The french horse didn’t look great, sweating more than Frankel and an awkward looking thing in physique and temperament. Rio De La Plata looked in excellent shape, well muscled and shiny coat.

Value Is Everything
    clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

I suspect that he will come out this race bouncing and wouldnt be surprosed if they go for the juddmonte next. And why not

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Stunning performance by Frankel… another exercise canter today.

If every horse was at the best of their abilities, Frankel would beat any animal from 6-10 furlongs in my opinion, and that includes that Australian thing… I doubt it would get within a few lengths of the best horse Sir Henry Cecil has ever seen (take not of what Sir Henry says by the way).

Sometimes you just have to ignore ratings, times, even your own opinions to some extent, and instead take note of what people who have been in the game for decades say about Frankel.

On visual evidience most of them are saying that Frankel is the best horse ever. That’s good enough for me, and it’s backed up by my own thoughts. I’ve certainly never seen a better horse in the last 25 years or so.

This was by far my best belly laugh of the day. Thank you One Eye. I guess you never saw Easy Goer. Well I did. I saw Dr. Fager and Secretariat too. Why people make a fuss about grass milers is still a mystery to me. So now on looks, Frankel can go 10 furlongs. The way you gush shouldn’t you say 12F? If they had the guts to come here, Sidney’s Candy would leave Frankel gasping for air. And thats at one mile. For now all he is is Sea the Stars Light. Another overated Euro afraid to prove it in America.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32997

You are right Lastword, you don’t understand turf racing. :lol:

Easy Goer??

What happened when he met Sunday Silence? :wink:

Value Is Everything
    Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

A very valid point Ginge.
    Don’t be too harsh on lastword as he clearly has some "issues", not least of which appears to be that of being delusional.
    Bless him.

Avatar photoRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1150

Anywhere….he is the greatest Miler ever!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Actually the delusional people are the ones fawning over this media creation…he and his 4 horse races where he is on one side of the rail and they the other…This is NOT racing. Easy Goer did have problems with Sunday Silence even though he was the better horse. Dr. Fager would beat Frankel by 20 lenghts spotting him 20 lbs. Surface of Frankels choice..it would matter not :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Hammy, that’s a fantastic pic of Frankel – congratulations. Do you mind if I copy it and use it on my blog – I will credit you, of course?

On Frankel, I’ve seen them all in the past 44 years and my generation’s rose-coloured default tends to be ‘fings ain’t what they used to be’. But I’m pretty sure Frankel is the best I’ve ever seen on the Flat. I never thought I’d see another Mill Reef or Brigadier Gerard – I feel privileged in the extreme to still be above ground to see Frankel cover his ground with that turbo-charged balletic action.

Much cold analysis about ratings and the wellbeing of opponents has been written, and that has its place. But the true measure of a great horse doesn’t always need a reference point. Frankel’s style, power, conformation (he looked a different horse today from his seasonal debut – lengthened and strengthened)beautiful straight action, and absurd acceleration tells the eye and the brain much more than bare form figures.

He’s being talked about across the globe now – kudos to QIPCO for taking a sponsorship punt and landing it in breathtaking fashion. Credit too to Khalid Abdulla for proposing keeping him in training next year – a-la Brigadier Gerard

I’ve been lobbying for an Arc run for him – maybe next year. What a farewell that would be!

Joe
    http://wp.me/p1o7dN-y8

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 762 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.