The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The past 3 Months has shown us what?

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks The past 3 Months has shown us what?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Avatar photoRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1150

Yes….People. Many people will say i am biased and i am but their is no doubt that i am more right than wrong.

Tony McCoy is a fantastic and driven jockey and one of the best ever their can be no doubt but when you associate champion of their sport he can not be ahead of Ruby.

A champion of their respective sport has arrogance and whiff of "me right you wrong" and ruby has it in buckets. We talk about moulding horses into champions their can be only one man for the Job. He has been associated with some of the greatest horses the jumps has ever seen.

Kauto Star
    Masterminded
    Denman
    HedgeHunter
    Quevega
    Big Bucks
    Azertioup

All the above will bring great warmth to the hearts of all racing fans. It can be seen very evidently the stress Paul Nicholls is under since he has not been around due to injury. The fact that PN has publicly told us that AP has given shocking ride to MAsterminded and was very muted under Kauto Star run and the scarecly believable tactics on the day. Noel Fehily at least gave PN great comfort with his rides as he is simliar and one of the most underated jockeys in England.

People will say that Ruby has the best horses…that is very true…he has the best of both worlds. But how many potential champions have reached their potential. Well under the guidance and care of Ruby champions have been made, and the potential over the next 5 years is going to be scarcely believable when he gets on the band of Rich Ricci horses when he gets back.

I think imo that Ruby does not get the respect he deserves. He should be the face of the sport. He is the face of the sport in Ireland and it much more popular than the flat where in the last 5 years the Flat has overshadowed in terms of stars yet more crowds flock to NH (due to perferred view of NH) but also because when they think NH they think Ruby. I would hope the view of Ruby across the Irish Sea will be the same before he retires as it would be a great shame the greatest horseman the game has ever seen it not acknoledeged.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Judged by your post, the last three months have told us that somewhere along the line Hedgehunter and Quevega have been added to the list of ‘Greatest jumpers of all time’.

• Total Posts 1150

When Quevaga wins her 3rd mares race surely she be a great.

Plus you gotta have one of his grand nationals in their…not great horses but in his eyes they are.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

If Quevega was a true great, surely she would be running in the Champion/World Hurdle? Beating Carole’s Legacy not a hallmark of greatness, for me.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Good question! easy answer. Ruby isn’t the best jockey riding over the stick today he’s the best jockey riding over the sticks of all time.

He might make a boo boo someday but it won’t be any time soon

Genius in the saddle.

detroit orchid
    • Total Posts 64

having followed the sport for over 20 years iam in no doubt that b.j geraghty is the finest nh jockey ive ever seen

strong as mccoy in a finish and tactically as brilliant as ruby as well

when i first got into the game 90% of the jockeys were cowboys and couldn’t ride a rocking horse

nowadays there are no cowboys in the professional ranks

simple reason is if your not very good in the modern era of nh racing you dont get a job

WelshWizard1973
    • Total Posts 185

Pretty good ride from the champ today!!! :lol: :lol:

http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Ra … _3,00.html

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

That whatever happens McCoy keeps bouncing back, riding hundreds of winners and making millions of pounds for connections.

spikeybob
    • Total Posts 3

surely kato stars defeat
    denmans defeat
    master mindeds very near defeat
    tells us something fairly obvious is lacking when ruby is not on board
    something that the alledged greatest jockey of all time cannot match

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Ruby has the best hands in the business, Barry Geraghty being second, just my opinion.

• Total Posts 1402

I’m a great believer in finding a jockey to match the horse.

Some horses are submissive and McCoy excels on those because he makes their mind up for them and instils in them a will to win they wouldn’t otherwise have.

Most of the truly great horses, though, are naturally dominant by nature and they don’t respond well to a pilot who seeks to dominate them in the way McCoy does on many of his mounts.

Ruby is perfect for those top class horses because he doesn’t seek to dominate them. He just helps them express their own dominance and will to win.

So if we are asking who is the greatest jockey of all time, it’s unfair to use McCoy’s ‘failures’ on those top class horses as evidence that Ruby is the better jockey because Ruby wouldn’t be able to win on many of the horses that McCoy boots round the gaff tracks day after day.

• Total Posts 1150

surely kato stars defeat
    denmans defeat
    master mindeds very near defeat
    tells us something fairly obvious is lacking when ruby is not on board
    something that the alledged greatest jockey of all time cannot match

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

I’m a great believer in finding a jockey to match the horse.

Some horses are submissive and McCoy excels on those because he makes their mind up for them and instils in them a will to win they wouldn’t otherwise have.

Most of the truly great horses, though, are naturally dominant by nature and they don’t respond well to a pilot who seeks to dominate them in the way McCoy does on many of his mounts.

Ruby is perfect for those top class horses because he doesn’t seek to dominate them. He just helps them express their own dominance and will to win.

So if we are asking who is the greatest jockey of all time, it’s unfair to use McCoy’s ‘failures’ on those top class horses as evidence that Ruby is the better jockey because Ruby wouldn’t be able to win on many of the horses that McCoy boots round the gaff tracks day after day.

Oh Joy: at last we have balanced, considered, conclusive words submitted to one of these interminable Ruby v AP threads

Good post Tuffers

Walsh and McCoy are both very good jockeys, of that there can be no doubt, but very different and as you say they thrive on different types of beast.

Walsh the ideal conveyance for the uncomplicated, confident and wilful good horse who needs little help or encouragement and may infact resent being asked to do something unnecessary that doesn’t need to be done and doesn’t come naturally

McCoy the ideal conveyance for the more nervous, lazy, irresolute and generally less able horse: one that needs help, encouragement or ‘his mind making up for him’. It cannot be a coincidence that JP and Jonjo like the man so much given their seeming infatuation with dodgy nags

Those that tend to follow only weekend racing and the big races could just about be forgiven for believing ‘Ruby is God’ and AP ‘a sack of potatoes dug from the deep subsoil of Hades’ as the former does indeed get oh-so-rosy exposure on the big days; but as Tuffers mentions for those that follow the day-in-day-out fayre at the gaffs McCoy becomes less the sack-from-hell and more the pomegranate plucked from Eden – the luscious fruit, forbidden and hidden from the Grade 1 devotee

So

vive la difference

and refrain from asking the pointless and undecideable question ‘who is best?’ which as has been displayed many a time here on TRF only leads to a long journey in ever-decreasing circles into the eye of the whirlpool named Bickering

Anyway forget Ruby and AP – good as they are – and just celebrate this all-round golden age of NH jockeyship we have. So, so much better than it was when I were a lad

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

So vive la difference and refrain from asking the pointless and undecideable question ‘who is best?’ which as has been displayed many a time here on TRF only leads to a long journey in ever-decreasing circles into the eye of the whirlpool named Bickering

Amen!

Anyway forget Ruby and AP – good as they are – and just celebrate this all-round golden age of NH jockeyship we have. So, so much better than it was when I were a lad

Give me the swashbuckling, Jamie Moore any day of the week. Now there’s a jockey who can throw a horse at a fence. 8)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.