The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Oaks 2006

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Oaks 2006

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Speciosa….Nice winner of the guineas and very tough.  Probably the best of these but certainly not guaranteed to get the trip.

Alexandrova…..Decent 2 year old and the subject of heavy support so must be showing alot at home.  However was well put in her place on her return recently by Short Skirt and certainly not guaranteed to turn that one around although there were excuses.

Short Skirt… But then again how good was that recent race with the proximity of the third.  She might have been the good winner of a strange or bad race.  LIkes some cut.

Riyalma… from the stoute yard.  Won a listed race on her sole run as a three year old on soft ground which she is bred to like.  

Guilia… won on her debut at 50’s in  a class 5 in thirsk and recently fast finishing second to Scotish Stage in listed 1mile 2 contest with some useful types.  Not sure she travelled that well but if more improvement is coming then she has  a very good chance.

Of the rest…off the top of head perhaps Prowess might run weill but its hard to fancy any with longer prices.<br>My advice..keep your money in your pocket

SHL

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Watch Riyalma again…  I didnt like the style of his racing and epsom exposes that sort of thing

Clearly with the top trainer…but not sure about this one just yet.

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Forget to mention TIme on who also won the chesire oaks, will stay and has a great chance of being placed.

I like Riyalma but I do believe she might like it softer anyway.  Im sure a few of these will hate the track.

SHL

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Quote: from clivex on 12:17 pm on June 1, 2006[br]Watch Riyalma again…  I didnt like the style of his racing and epsom exposes that sort of thing

Clearly with the top trainer…but not sure about this one just yet.

What does clearly with the top trainer mean Clive? Also she is actually a filly as it is the oaks ;) .

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

SHE then…

Well what i mean is that if ( to my eyes) the slightly green way of running with high head carriage is to be corrected in time, i would trust Stoute more than most

Also, the stable form is rather good at the moment

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Quote: from clivex on 12:50 pm on June 1, 2006[br]<br>Well what i mean is that if ( to my eyes) the slightly green way of running with high head carriage is to be corrected in time, i would trust Stoute more than most<br>

Hardly equates to "Cleary" the top trainer…..

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Quote: from johnjdonoghue on 1:10 pm on June 1, 2006[br]

Quote: from clivex on 12:50 pm on June 1, 2006[br]<br>Well what i mean is that if ( to my eyes) the slightly green way of running with high head carriage is to be corrected in time, i would trust Stoute more than most<br>

Hardly equates to "Cleary" the top trainer…..[/quote

Oh dont be so difficult.  He has a good record at this place and is in tip top form.

SHL

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

It seems fair to admit that O’Brien is the top trainer in Ireland,Fabre in France and Stoutie in England,right? All 3 are the "top trainer" in their own country

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Riyalma’s Pretty Polly form doesn’t look strong at all to me, I don’t fancy that at all.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Ok..with one of the top trainers

For me horses fulfil their potential more readily with stoute than anyone else (except Fabre perhaps). Of course, thats  a hard thing to judge but also hard to argue against :)

The Wizard
    • Total Posts 92

I’ll be rooting for Alexandrova, for Ten To Follow purposes, as victory for her would propel a few of our lists close to the leaderboard. Speciaosda would be a disaster!

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Quote: from trackside528 on 5:53 pm on June 1, 2006[br]Think Alexandrova should reverse the York form, especially considering how much O’Brien’s have been improving for the run. The added trip and better ground should also suit as well…

Riyalma was mentioned to me for an Oaks race last year, so had a small e/w nibble, but may want ground on the soft side and had the race all to herself lto… serious contender though…

Dont rate Speciosa that highly at all to be honest. May not stay the extra trip, and dont think she beat too much in a Guineas that was run on very soft ground. May be eating my words tommorrow, but I doubt it… <br>

O Briens filly was beaten very very easily I think , whatever the excuses and by the filly thats might improve for both the run and trip also. Suppose the ground should help her though.

I backed Speciosa for the guineas and I think she is a good horse.  Certanily fancy her at a mile 2 over this lot.

SHL

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

Alexandrova will certainly come on for her run at York but whether she can reverse the form with Short Skirt is another matter and one I’m not in favour of her doing as Short Skirt is entitled to come on for the run too and she didn’t exactly enjoy the run of the race that day when beating Alexandrova comfortably.

Last season in the Rockfel (7f) Speciosa beat Short Skirt by 5 1/2 lengths into 7th but she was the more experienced runner and had the run of the race therefor I can see Short Skirt reversing that form over this trip after her improved showing in the Musidora, she wasn’t stopping and this 1m 4f ought to be tailor made, the drying ground may be a worry and  that will be my only excuse if she doesn’t win this.

<br>This years Oaks is wide open but I was impressed by Short Skirt (I’m always impressed by short skirts though). :biggrin:

Here’s my idea of the first 4 home…

<br>1. Short Skirt<br>2. Guilia<br>3. Speciosa<br>4. Alexandrova

<br>

Flagship
    • Total Posts 9

Come on Specioza!

I agree with Sir Harry in that she will be ahead at the 2 pole, but desparately hope she stays in the lead until the line. Why is it there are always more doubts about horses from the smaller stables?

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Horses from small yards are harder to rate.Nothing to gallop against.Difficult to get a jockey for gallops. may not have proper gallops. may not get 24 hours attention, harder to get staff( not much winning money coming into the yard) attention and more, so it is harder to rate them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.