The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Oaks 2015

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion The Oaks 2015

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Was she the one that went down to the start with Legassitimo looking cool as a cucumber whereas the favourite was on her toes?

Yep.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Leg got her boil over beforehand and did not show her best, possibly did not stay.
    Crystal failed to settle.
    Jack possibly didn’t stay or run came too quick.
    Lady ran well, improving on Goodwood.
    Diamonds ran well, bit unlucky not to be placed.
    Star, Together and Jazzi didn’t stay.

As the race was run (pace played a part) – it wasn’t as good a renewal as it looked beforehand.

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I said beforehand I didn’t think as much of the race quality as some people did.

There were only two I thought could win it and one of them was beaten after two furlongs. Crystal Zvezda never settled one bit and you knew from the off that it would be a classic case where the jockey would wrestle with her until she got tired. A bitter non-event.

Legatissimo looked likely to win it but was chinned by a rank outsider and there were more disappointments than positives to take from the race. I thought Jack Naylor ran out of puff and am convinced that Bocca Baciata was worth a try in this race today. She had won over further than her stable mate, had gone into the Irish Guineas half the price of her stable mate, she had actually beaten the Irish Guineas winner the time before, over further, and it clearly looked that the trip was too short for in the Guineas. Bocca Baciata finished ahead of today’s winner Qualify in the Irish 1000 Guineas and well done to Aiden O Brien and the team for having the ambition and the gumption to run more than one filly in the race. There is only one Oaks and you don’t win it by farting around and taking obvious contenders out of the race. That sort of numb-nuts thinking is what separates the cream, from those who only hit the bulls-eye once in a blue moon.

Lady Of Dubai ran an excellent race and exceeded my expectations. I thought she would stay but not be good enough. Mind you it helped that some of the others were disappointing.

Other than the winner being a massive price, I doubt it’s an Oaks we will be talking about much years from now. I didn’t see anything that Queens Jewel would be too concerned about and I reckon the French filly will beat these if they clash.

Big cigar for anyone who picked the winner today I would never have had her in a squillion years.

You have to laugh at the respect these big name trainers get. Andre Fabre’s Al Naamah was 11/1 here despite having as much chance of winning as I have of getting a council flat in Belgravia.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6320

It didn’t look a vintage race and there were several disappointing runs and it looks like it needs further analysis to dissect it but I think Leg did stay just was outstayed by the winner who wasn’t whipped until half a furlong from the finish.
    A very good cajoling ride from the winning jockey.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Did Ryan use up his whip allowance [just going by something mentioned on another forum]?

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

No wonder Aiden left Found at home with that one up his sleeve.
    I see Al Naamah is up for sale in cash converters. I wouldn’t buy her for 50 pence…..

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 1951

If you think AOB deliberately lost two classics so he could get a better price in another – you’re crazy Chivers.

Gingertipster, I didn’t mean to say jockey to make her look substandard, that was silly.
    I meant to say that she was put in the classics to keep her on her toes at the highest level and to get the engine ready, but I believe he would have said to the jockey to not give her anywhere close to a hard time.
    I think he knew that Qualify had a big chance of winning today and he did it the smart way.
    It’s shrewd and I have no problem with that whatsoever.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

I’d agree Chivers, that Aiden would of known this one was better at the distance but wouldn’t the boys have backed her down from 50’s?

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

When interviewed immediately after the race , I couldn’t decide whether the look on Aidan O’Brien’s face was one of surprise or embarrassment – or both.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 1951

I’d agree Chivers, that Aiden would of known this one was better at the distance but wouldn’t the boys have backed her down from 50’s?

Maybe the bookies were being shrewd too?
    If she was backed down to say 16’s then a lot more people would have wanted a slice.
    I’m just being sceptical on the matter, It was a really strong finish from an obviously very talented horse and apart from a bit of bustling down the straight and a fancied horse way too keen to have a chance, there were no hard luck stories really.

Not like when Was won a few years ago. The Fugue was so unlucky that day.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Well I suspect Qualify ended up in the Oaks because it was apparent she was pretty useless at a mile. She had to be worth a chance that the extra half mile might help. In honesty it looked a forlorn hope but surely better than running her in another group 1 at a mile and watching her out the back. Aiden will have been as shocked as anybody that she won but Was and Homecoming Queen showed that you won’t know if you don’t give it a bash. Homecoming Queen was a flash in the pan, maybe today’s winner will be as well. Only time will tell but O’Brien has to run some of these well bred horses even when they seem up against it, in order to try to land something to put on their CV for breeding purposes. He hit the jackpot today for sure.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>thehorsesmouth wrote:</div>
    Together Forever my me at 10/1, liked her comeback run and would expect her to come on for it.

I think Jim Bolger potentially trains the best 1m and 1m 4f 3yo filled around in Lucida and Pleascach though, and would fancy Pleascach to win this if she was in it.

I’ve lost £200 in Ante-Post bets on this Tommy and very nearly did ‘Found’,that would have p*ssed me off even more.I’ve watched every race today of the first 4 in the betting and have like yourself taken the 10/1 e/w about Together Forever too.Her Musidora run conceding 4lb proved the 11/2m is right up her street as she stayed on strongly.She improved markedly from her ‘Flame of Tara’ run against the 1000gns winner and Jessies filly so at the prices ours is an e/w good thing imo.

And you are knocking my ante-post record over on another thread.

Bad decision making, snide personal remarks on other threads, are you losing the plot Gord?

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

If you think AOB deliberately lost two classics so he could get a better price in another – you’re crazy Chivers.

Gingertipster, I didn’t mean to say jockey to make her look substandard, that was silly.
    I meant to say that she was put in the classics to keep her on her toes at the highest level and to get the engine ready, but I believe he would have said to the jockey to not give her anywhere close to a hard time.
    I think he knew that Qualify had a big chance of winning today and he did it the smart way.
    It’s shrewd and I have no problem with that whatsoever.

Fair enough that you did not mean AOB did anything wrong Chivers.
    But, if AOB “knew that Qualify had a big chance of winning today” then why did it go off at such a big price. Ballydoyle is a big betting stable, had they known Quality had a “big chance” then why did it not go off considerably shorter? :unsure:

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

David Wachman thinks Legatissimo will drop back in trip. He said she ran out of petrol today. It was stated that she may even go back to a mile.

She didn’t do too bad if she didn’t stay, it doesn’t say much for the others that only one filly could cash in.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

And you are knocking my ante-post record over on another thread.

Bad decision making, snide personal remarks on other threads, are you losing the plot Gord?

The latter.
    Don’t let Gord wind you up Steve, he’s just in ebulliant mood, because one of his ante-post bets has actually made it to the race tomorrow. Tee Hee.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

I’m sure he knew she’d improve for a step up in distance but you never know how much until they run. I suspect he was genuinely surprised she’d beaten Legatissimo.

Not sure I’d agree that there were “no hard luck stories”. Diamondsandrubies was as good as brought down and still came back to finish 4th. I suspect Star of Seville was already spent by the time the same happened to her but you never know. She may have plugged on for a place

Participant
    • Total Posts 229

Legatissimo stayed alright imo, she just blew up too much energy on the way to the stalls. Would have won otherwise imo and still think she will prove the best out of these fillies today, even though Crystal Zvezda need to be reseen in different circumstances. She did a Dawn Approach out there today.

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.