The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Oaks 2015

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion The Oaks 2015

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Couldn’t see a thread for this race. While there have been numerous Guineas trials over the past couple of weeks, for me the most impressive filly on show has been Fluff, who won a maiden over eight furlongs at Navan yesterday.

She was only nudged out to record a facile success, and was very strong at the finish, suggesting she’ll have no problem stepping up in trip. Market leader Chinese Light was disappointing and it’s hard to weight up the form, but the second, Natural Woman, had previously ran well when second at Cork. Third placed Terracotta shaped with plenty of promise and should be winning races before long, and looks in need of a step up in trip.

Fluff looks a potential Group 1 filly and with nothing much putting pressure on Found at the head of the market, she has potential to shorten significantly between now and Epsom. I imagine she’ll now go for an Oaks trial or possibly a tilt at the Irish 1000 Guineas.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1757

Ballydoyle has had mixed results so far so any horse that scoots up on debut needs to be looked at. Obrien won another maiden today with Sandro Botticelli so it looks like his 3yos are in good order. Fluff hopefully be seen at chester then Epsom.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I was waiting for Fluff to make her debut and managed to miss the fact that she was out.

The reason for keeping an eye out was that she is a full sister to Maybe, who I backed for the Guineas at 25/1 before she won at Royal Ascot and who then went off a warm favourite for the race but was very disappointing as stable companion Homecoming Queen hosed home in a boil over that was to prove a flash in the pan.

Maybe only had one try at a mile and a half, when 5th in the Oaks when Was was successful. It’s a race etched on my memory, as I was waiting on The Fugue for a big pay day, only to see a less than inspired ride, not for the last time, from William Buick.

I’d like to see her again over further before being assured about her stamina but if was a debut jam packed with promise and you have to feel for some of the other trainers in the game when Aiden O’Brien can open stable doors and choose from clones of great horses from the recent past. There’s just no hope for the likes of Moehat and her 31p winnings from Saturday, and me with my “rare” Red Rum edition of the Racing Post.

It’s just not fair.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

I’ve had a nibble on Beautiful Romance at 16’s. She is beautifully bred for an Oaks. She ran a really good race in the Nell Gwyn for a horse that should be best over much further. To be honest I’m not sure why connections have even considered the Guineas route. If I owned the filly she’d be heading for the Musidora.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Not sure how the Found workout went yet but she is 9/2 for the Guineas in a place. If she missed the race it automatically casts doubt over the Oaks for me.

John Gosden’s Star Of Seville may have beaten a decent sort in Roger Charlton’s Ooty Hill and she looks likely to be suited by 12f at Epsom. For me she is more assured as a stayer than stable mate Jellicle Ball and Gosden is one of the few big name trainers in really good form. She won in good style on the same card as Beautiful Romance near the end of last season.

Star Of Seville at 12/1 appeals as more reliable than Godolphin’s Beautiful Romance to my eyes at least.

Irish Rookie is a filly I took an interest in at 66/1 for the 1000 Guineas and a decent effort there should see this Azamour filly cut for the Oaks. She is only listed rated for now but won over a mile on good to soft at Newmarket aged two and I think she will stay. Stamina can offset class to a big extent come Oaks day and the trainer thinks quite a bit of this largely unconsidered filly. 50/1 looks tempting and more appealing than 4/1 on Favourite Found.

Star Of Seville 12/1 (several firms)

Irish Rookie each-way 50/1 (Paddy Power)

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I’ve had a nibble on Beautiful Romance at 16’s. She is beautifully bred for an Oaks. She ran a really good race in the Nell Gwyn for a horse that should be best over much further. To be honest I’m not sure why connections have even considered the Guineas route. If I owned the filly she’d be heading for the Musidora.

I’ve taken that as a tip in itself. She’s my #2 Guineas filly behind Lucida and looks to have a big chance in the Oaks.

I’ve got a few quid on Easter for AOB. Debuted in the same maiden as Marvellous & Moth. Not good to hear that she’s getting time off as a result of her exertions in her first start this year, but she could easily be a fast improver. Also got a few quid on Diamondsandrubies for the same yard.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Couldn’t see a thread for this race. While there have been numerous Guineas trials over the past couple of weeks, for me the most impressive filly on show has been Fluff, who won a maiden over eight furlongs at Navan yesterday.

She was only nudged out to record a facile success, and was very strong at the finish, suggesting she’ll have no problem stepping up in trip. Market leader Chinese Light was disappointing and it’s hard to weight up the form, but the second, Natural Woman, had previously ran well when second at Cork. Third placed Terracotta shaped with plenty of promise and should be winning races before long, and looks in need of a step up in trip.

Terracotta runs today at Gowran, where a regally bred Weld filly, Variable (33/1 for the Oaks), has been heavily supported into odds of 1/2. I’m backing Terracotta to finish in the first three at 11/8, the step up in trip should suit and she improved plenty from her first start to her second. Lots of Ballydoyle horses needing their seasonal debuts and I’d be fairly confident she’ll give a good account of herself today.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>thehorsesmouth wrote:</div>

Terracotta runs today at Gowran, where a regally bred Weld filly, Variable (33/1 for the Oaks), has been heavily supported into odds of 1/2. I’m backing Terracotta to finish in the first three at 11/8, the step up in trip should suit and she improved plenty from her first start to her second. Lots of Ballydoyle horses needing their seasonal debuts and I’d be fairly confident she’ll give a good account of herself today.

Had a nibble at 11/1 in the outright market also, Carla Bianca very disappointing for Weld in the feature race and 11/1 looks too big.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Terracotta ran a similar race again, staying on to be a close fifth. Was never able to get on terms with the leaders. Didn’t do the Fluff form any harm anyway. I see Aidan O’Brien said in a recent stable tour that a mile and a quarter might be the limit of Fluff’s stamina, but hopefully she’ll be given the chance to prove it or otherwise.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7872

BEAUTIFULL ROMANCE was my oaks bet at 20/1 put her up as horse to follow in my thread stick with her i am.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I read that John Gosden is planning Royal Ascot for Jellicle Ball, rather than the Oaks, so that is perhaps worth bearing in mind.

Beautiful Romance was a filly I liked at two but I am not sure if heading to the Guineas is the right plan. I would probably have backed her for the Oaks if she had not been trained by Godolphin. I just feel their Classic runners have performed rather poorly these past few seasons.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Beautiful Romance had a slight setback & isn’t running in the Guineas anymore

Participant
    • Total Posts 34

I really hope that Found and Together Forever lines up for the Oaks but after missing the 1000 Guineas it doesn’t fill me with confidence and I am more hopeful with Star Of Seville and Beautiful Romance.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I really hope that Found and Together Forever lines up for the Oaks but after missing the 1000 Guineas it doesn’t fill me with confidence and I am more hopeful with Star Of Seville and Beautiful Romance.

It has to be a concern that Found wasn’t deemed ready for the 1000 Guineas. The Oaks is only 33 days away and while horses can blossom at this time of the season it is not a long time to be 100% certain that she’ll be raring to go, when you consider that she is 4/1 favourite and some of her rivals will have had one or two runs on the board already this season.

Jellicle Ball seems the main horse who could contract seriously after today’s Guineas. The other fancied runners in the field don’t seem to be Oaks types. The trouble is that Jellicle Ball is entered in the Ribblesdale and Coronation at Royal Ascot, so it seems that they are not committed totally to one and a half miles with her.

Beautiful Romance had a minor setback that meant she missed the Guineas. We will get a chance to see how her form stacks up after Osaila runs today in the shorter Classic. To my eyes she was an Oaks type and I wonder if they might regret pushing their luck with her over 7f, rather than concentrating on the Oaks 100%.

I find it a bit frustrating that Together Forever was tied into whether Found was running in the Guineas or not and then ended up not running despite her stable mate being pulled out of the race. I am assuming the fast ground was to blame and that would be a concern if it’s riding fast at Epsom in June.

Star Of Seville is my main hope for the Oaks and I wouldn’t swap her at this stage. She made a very pleasing comeback at a time when the Gosden stable was a little bit hit and miss. I’d be most surprised if she wasn’t in the 1-2-3 on the 5th of June.

Participant
    • Total Posts 229

I still don’t get why Found was scratched apparently due to not being quite ready but then is entered to race tomorrow. Surely, one day can’t make that much of a difference fitness-wise. Maybe she just hasn’t trained on? Or maybe they just wanna give her an easy first run, but then today’s 1000 Guineas is hardly a vintage field, is it?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Jellicle Ball surely can’t run in the Oaks after that effort. There was no indication that she would appreciate a mile and a half on today’s showing and she seems sure to need more time to get over that effort. I would think waiting for Royal Ascot and The Coronation Stakes is the sensible route to go.

Legatissimo probably deserves to be up there at the head of the market but the stamina is not assured enough to be seeing 5/1 as a good bet.

It’s not a race that is inspiring me at all this season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6320

When they interviewed Ryan Moore he said he thought A mile and a half would be probably too far for Legatissimo at this stage!!
    I shall not be running to take 5/1 !!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.