The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Champion Hurdle

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion The Champion Hurdle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Well judging from the other poll this is the race people are most looking forwards to, so the question is can the Irish take home the prize again, or will the up and coming grey, Detroit City, keep the prize in Britain?

If Detroit City beat Hardy Eustace and then Hardy Eustace beat Brave Inca does that make Detroit City the best of the 3 or should the form of those races be overlooked?

You decide ;)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I’ve been talking down Detroit City all year with the attitude that a 5yo can’t beat seasoned campaigners like Brave Inca & Hardy Eustace but the more I look at it, the more I like DC and I hope he drifts on the day to around 4s when the Irish get stuck into HE & BI. Otherwise it’s no bet.

Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

davidbrady Posted on 8:36 am on Mar. 9, 2007

I’ve been talking down Detroit City all year with the attitude that a 5yo can’t beat seasoned campaigners like Brave Inca & Hardy Eustace but the more I look at it, the more I like DC and I hope he drifts on the day to around 4s when the Irish get stuck into HE & BI. Otherwise it’s no bet.

<br>I totally agree.  I’ve tried to pick holes in the imposing grey all season.  Whilst its certainly not a cert, it could prove good value on the day if as you say the Irish get stuck in to the other two main protagonists.  Could Straw Bear be the value?  Excuses for his defeats, has a good cruising speed, could the race be set up for him?

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Ive back Hardy antepost but like davidbrady i can see DC being a worthwhile price on the day and may well step in

I think he could be one very special horse

Interesting interview with conor odwyer in the times today

http://timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/raci … 489936.ece

hes fairly dismissive of Brave Inca but is clearly very impressed indeed with Detroit

DannyDanny
    • Total Posts 790

I think it will be between Brave Inca, Detroit City and Straw Bear with Brave Inca coming out on top<br>

(Edited by Danny at 5:28 pm on Mar. 9, 2007)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

After Macs Joys withdrawal, I think Brave Inca looks bomb-proof for a place, therefore free-bet material in the win market. Similar comments apply to Hardy Eustace I suppose but I don’t think he’s quite so solid as Brave Inca.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from Danny on 4:45 pm on Mar. 9, 2007[br]I think it will be between Brave Inca, Detroit City and Straw Bear with Brave Inca coming out on <br>

top?

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Just for the record, trainer states Harchibald a NR on account of the ground

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

I can’t see any sensible reason why Brave Inca should turn around the form with Hardy Eustace.<br>HE beat him 3l, fair and square, on ground that suited neither and both reputed to need the run.<br>I also think that no one can be certain about how good DC is yet, certainly looks good enough to be up there coming to the last, but has yet to show the form to say he is capable of beating BI 3l.<br>Imo, of course.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Detroit City v Hardy Eustace for me. Detroit City to complete an opening day double for the Hobbs team. ;)

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

I too, have been trying pick holes in the form of DC, which i still don’t think is as good as the form of BI or HE.

There is still a possibility that Straw Bear will turn the form around with Detroit City when he was badly in need of the run at Sandown and still got close to Detroit City. The softer ground will help Straw Bear apparently but i’m not convinced Chelters really suits him although his unlucky defeat in last years Supreme.

I think Hardy Eustace will win, with Straw Bear not far behind with Brave Inca back in third.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

I think Straw Bear is a good horse but I see him as more of an Aintree horse. Think he will be outslogged up the hill.

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Quote: from Flash on 6:23 pm on Mar. 9, 2007[br]I think Straw Bear is a good horse but I see him as more of an Aintree horse. Think he will be outslogged up the hill.

Thats the negative about him that i have, but other than that, he is probably the value with McCoy on board. He may just be able to quicken better than his rivals at the last and do a catch me if you can.

SirHarryLewisSirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1194

well if the ground is on the decent side Ill probably back Asian Maze each way because I like the odds and she didnt get a hard race last day.  She was also travelling nicely last year and was a bit unlucky.  It might be that there are a good few with chances in this but I dont fancy straw bear at all. He failed to get up the hill last year in what didnt look a vintage supreme novices.  He got put in his place well by Iktitaf at Punchestown.  Im not completely convinced Afsoun ran his race last day.  Whereever he is, connections of Sublimity seem to think they will be in front of him.

Its possible BI ran just a bit flat last day if thats a sensible excuse but I really dont know.

Im warming to Detroit City and i think the rain will do him no harm at all.  Still shouldnt be favourite IMO.

SHL

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Yes HE beat BI fair and square at Leopardstown the last day but that doesnt necessarily mean Brave Inca ran his race. One this about BI is he always finishes his races and to me in the AIG rather than HE scooting clear after the last BI stopped. There was a cloud of Colm Murphys runners at the time and for a few weeks after he didnt have a winner….but he has a couple now from a handful of runners. Brave Inca for me to win, HE in second and Detroit City and Straw Bear for third.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.