The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The black horse_inside coolmore

Home Forums Horse Racing The black horse_inside coolmore

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Has anybody heard of or read this controversial book?? Apparently it’s very hard to even find. Has it been withdrawn?

Shl

Bumpbumpbump

SHL

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 544

The work doesn’t appear to be freely available. Neither does a review. But never mind that – it’s the book they are all talking about.

A seller on donedeal reckons he got ‘a couple of copies’ for Christmas which he is willing to let go for €80 (inc. p&p) but that was 5 days ago. Furthermore, €80 might well be overpriced.

Your best bet for a copy might be at source. It’s published by Goldrush Publications and there’s an email address in here:

http://www.theblackhorseinsidecoolmore.com/

Just so you know what to expect, the story is one of unimaginable wealth and power, joy and heartbreak.

In addition to that:

“It’s about time someone spoke of what really goes on in racing yards.” says an employee in racing whose identity has to be protected because she would immediately lose her job if her name was known.

The author is William Jones. Let’s assume that’s a pseudonym.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 689

Nothing like a juicy wee trailer to sell the book. It is well rumoured the tensions between aiden and coolmore and that aiden is a very intense guy who is a very hard taskmaster. I can’t believe for a moment the horses are not superbly looked after so I suppose it must be the staff the guy is hinting at. From the outside it seems John magnier decides everything even sometimes jockey arrangements. The fact no jockey has taken on the role of stable jockey hints that coolmore are a tough team to work for but when you are dealing with squillions of worth of horses not really that surprising.

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 11523

The work doesn’t appear to be freely available. Neither does a review. But never mind that – it’s the book they are all talking about.

A seller on donedeal reckons he got ‘a couple of copies’ for Christmas which he is willing to let go for €80 (inc. p&p) but that was 5 days ago. Furthermore, €80 might well be overpriced.

Your best bet for a copy might be at source. It’s published by Goldrush Publications and there’s an email address in here:

http://www.theblackhorseinsidecoolmore.com/

Just so you know what to expect, the story is one of unimaginable wealth and power, joy and heartbreak.

In addition to that:

“It’s about time someone spoke of what really goes on in racing yards.” says an employee in racing whose identity has to be protected because she would immediately lose her job if her name was known.

The author is William Jones. Let’s assume that’s a pseudonym.

Thanks for the link Seasider. I’d be really interested in reading this book and adding it to my collection so
    I’ve made contact with distributors and ordered a copy.
    They told me that at the moment they have limited distribution and hold copies in London and Lambourn but said they will be rolling the book out in a few weeks time.
    Will let you know how the purchase proceeds.
    Jac :good:
    The book is selling at £21.00.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8125

I had never heard of the book, I don’t know if it is a well written insider
    story which brings a few skeletons out of the cupboard, or just someone trying
    to make a few bob, but it has certainly has me interested.

I read an article in the Irish Times, about an ongoing court case of an injured
    groom at Coolmore, who is suing his employers for injuries he sustained whilst
    in the process of covering. The article says he was kicked by the mare and was
    unable to carry on working. It also states “He worked at Coolmore for 10 years
    and his employment was formally terminated in February 2014, the court heard”

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/former-coolmore-groom-says-life-was-devastated-after-kick-1.2101913

I have no idea whatsoever if there is any connection with these events and the book,
    but I found it interesting.

Thanks Jac, if they do get more copies I’d be interested in getting one myself.
    I thought it amusing that on the front page of their webpage that they have the
    quotation …….

“I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say
    it” – Voltaire”.

I think it’s generally accepted that this quote is attributed to Evelyn Beatrice Hall,
    in her book The Friends Of Voltaire. I thought a publisher would be up on that.

I must put that in my new year resolutions…..try to stop being a smart a**e B-)

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 11523

I’ll let you know how my purchase fairs Big G I’ve sent the cheque and they’ve promised to send the book, for all I know it could be written on a postage stamp…LOL and your probably very wise to be sceptical :yes: who knows, but I am up for a gamble so lets see what happens, the worst I can do is lose £21 and the best is that I’ll get a copy and then a court order will be taken out to clear the bookshelves and my book will be worth squillions. :yahoo:
    HAPPY NEW YEAR :rose:

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

I have a copy :bye: I would say there is a few open secrets told in here. I’ve been told the author is Welsh and was head of a covering shed or something. Assume he hasn’t changed his name.

It’s true that any company of this nature relies on a particular ruthlessness…And that’s what the author seems to try and convey along with the secrecy.

Reading it, it’s a wonder Magnier and O’Brien can work together at all given what we know of both men.

Lots of little digs at guys…Julian Muscat is the coolmore poodle, Harry King hasnt smiled in 10 years, it’s of a lot of interest to people who know the middle management over there.

SHL

SHL

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 11523

Got my copy om Tuesday Big G, it is paperback form but good quality and full of wonderful colour pictures so I am really looking forward to getting time to read it.
    The back cover statement immediately caught my attention being a horse lover and made me form the opinion that whoever wrote this cares about horse welfare and was terribly upset by the way this faithul mare was treated.
    Here is the statement on the back cover:
    quote:
    Jude was bleeding to death in front of our eyes after foaling a filly by Galileo in 2011. I couldn’t watch it.
    I went to the other end of the barn and began preparing a stable for her newborn foal, soon to be orphaned. Jude had survived a previous haemorrhage by the skin of her teeth and we hoped she was going to be retired. Instead, she was handed a death sentence when she was put back into foal again. It was terribly sad. She had been a wonderful broodmare for Coolmore and had made millions for her owners. She deserved much better than to die like this.

unquote:
    So sad…
    Not sure if this was the same Mare (by Darshaan) that was previously owned by Prince Fahd Salman, but she was obviously just treated like a breeding machine and no thought or respect given to her welfare after being such a loyal servant, she deserved better…poor girl. :(

Written by a man who worked in John Magnier’s principal foaling barns amidst accusations of bullying, within the organisation, and lack of support for staff grievances, I think this book may raise more than a few eyebrows, but as I am yet to read beyond the first few pages will have to resereve judgement for a while.
    Jac
    :good:

BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8125

That’s a powerful and moving statement on the back cover Jac. I almost
    wish that it wasn’t true, that it was written by someone with a grievance,
    it’s hard to think about so little concern being shown to an such a
    beautiful animal. It does however, with the emotional manner in which it is
    written, appear to have an authentic feel to it.

I’d be interested to know what you think once you have read a little
    bit of the book, and if you think it worth a read.

I hope I haven’t put you under a bit of pressure, sort of making you
    the TRF book critic. I’m happy to go in blind and buy the book anyway,
    so if you’d rather not feel in the position of seeming to promote the
    book, or putting “the black spot” on it, then I’d understand that.

Thanks for the update Jac :good:

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 11523

That’s ok BigG no pressure..LOL

I must admit when I received the book and I read that back cover I almost felt that I wouldn’t be able to read it, but I think it is about more than that and I will certainly let you know my thought when I get chance to sit down and get into it. I’m the one who can’t even watch War Horse let alone go along to the West End show even though I’d love to, I know that I’d be getting through boxes of Kleenex just like I was when Ginger died in Black Beauty.

If I had just picked this book up in a bookshop and was browsing through it as you do, I would most certainly buy for the illustrations alone, lots of colour plates and a lovely full page shot of Galileo and lots more of the Coolmore horses in training Magician and Ruler of the World.

Jac

BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8125

Thanks again Jac,

For the illustrations alone I think it sounds worth the buy, but that apart
    I’m interested in what they have to say, so I’ll just put it down as a late Christmas
    present and order one. By the sound of it, it’s possible that they may not be around
    for too much longer (court proceedings et al).

Thanks for the update Jac, it sounds like it could very well be a very limited edition
    book in years to come. Mind you, I hope we don’t get some of “the lads” associates
    appearing at the door in their black suits and dark glasses (O’Brien style) asking politely
    if we would like to “donate” it back to them B-)

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 11523

Have to keep it somewhere safe BigG B-) It measures 15cm x 21cm and they charged me £21 and that included postage.
    Part one of the book is all about ‘The Dream’ but Part two looks as though it gets very heavy..like to hear your views also when you get it…Jac :good:

Sequoyah
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4

I’d be very wary of a book written by somebody who I understand has a previous grievance with Coolmore, it’s bound to be negative, biased and one-sided. We only have this anonymous person’s word that Jude had any previous history, or the seriousness of it, but she was given a break between her last two foals. She was actually owned by Barronstown Stud, not Coolmore, and she was only 17 years old when she died, not exactly over the hill for breeding purposes. I haven’t seen any previous reports of Coolmore treating their mares like breeding machines, despite being in operation for decades. Indeed, there is a recent example of the opposite, You’resothrilling (first two foals are Classic winners, third a G3 winner) was given a break last year after 5 successful covers.
    I visited Coolmore last year and in response to a question about how many more years Galileo could continue to produce, the Coolmore manager said that Galileo owed them nothing at this stage, he could decide he had had enough tomorrow and they would be grateful for what he had done (his exact words). That doesn’t quite fit with the picture painted in the book of basically breeding a mare to death.

BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8125

Hi Sequoyah, and welcome to the forum.

I understand your view on this, I have absolutely no problem with it.
    I don’t think anyone here has decided whether this is a decent book
    or not, whether it is true or not, or whether, as you say, there is
    someone with an agenda of their own.

In my first post on the thread I put forward the point …….

” I don’t know if it is a well written insider
    story which brings a few skeletons out of the cupboard, or just someone trying
    to make a few bob,”

I know that Jac mentioned above, that having yet to read beyond the first few pages,
    she would have to reserve judgement for a while. So nobody is jumping in with both
    feet.

Of course you are right that we should be wary of a book written by someone who may
    have a grievance, but that doesn’t necessarily remove the validity of what is written.
    I think we are all big enough and ugly enough (speaking personally you understand) in
    the forum to weigh it up and make our own minds up. It would be a dangerous thing to
    disregard “whistleblowers”, some of whom might just have something to say.

Sequoyah
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4

I understand BigG. It’s just a very emotive story to put on such a prominent place as the back cover, it seems to set the agenda. Coolmore can be their own worst enemy and don’t do themselves any favours by being very secretive, and their success can cause a lot of resentment, so they are a perfect target for a book like this. But it’s as you say, people will make up their own minds.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.