The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Test Match Tickets

Home Forums General Sports Test Match Tickets

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1140

It’s been many years since I have been to a Test Match and I have just checked the price of tickets for The Oval in July, £164 is the cheapest.

That is nearly a weeks pension for me, so I won’t be going.

Yonder stands your orphan with his gun
    Crying like a fire in the Sun
    Look out baby, the saints are comin' through
    And it's all over now, baby blue
    Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3956

Is that the absolute cheapest ticket? Or the cheapest ticket still available after all the less expensive tickets have sold out? Either way, it is a scandal.

I know the price of tickets for sporting events has gone up and The Oval will argue they are not out of line with similar events. However, it is profiteering.

I bet food and drink in there is not cheap either.

Thinking back 20 years, I once paid only £40 for a seat in the best part of the Grandstand at Lord’s. A few years later, I paid just £26 for a seat in the Mound Stand for the opening day of the 2005 Ashes Test at the same ground.

It was after that great Ashes series when the prices started to be hiked. I think I had to pay something like £60 the following year.

Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1140

Cheapest that I could see on the website, there were about three more expensive ones.

Yonder stands your orphan with his gun
    Crying like a fire in the Sun
    Look out baby, the saints are comin' through
    And it's all over now, baby blue
    Ben_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1289

Funny you say this my mate said the same thing, told me last week he’d checked the test ticket prices for the england games coming up and when he saw they were all at least £180 he gave up instantly, what a joke!

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1136

No wonder there were a lot of empty seats at Lords last week if they were charging anything in that region. Madness.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3956

Lord’s has even less excuse for profiteering than the other grounds. It has two Tests each summer.

Throw in the Oval Test and London has three of the seven Tests each year. A little bit unfair.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1136

Trent Bridge was free today, now that’s value! All four results possible at the start of the day and there was almost certainly going to be a decent amount of cricket played. Not sure anyone would have predicted quite the manner in which that finished. Superb match.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3956

Now it is golf’s turn to do a bit of profiteering.

I have just received an email from the R&A about the ticket ballot for next year’s Open Championship at Royal Liverpool, Hoylake.

A ticket for the opening day is £95! On Saturday, it goes up to £105!

I have checked when I last went to the Open, at Royal Portrush in 2019. I only attended on the Thursday. The ticket cost £60 – so it has increased by over 50% in just three years.

Even a ticket for the practice day on Sunday costs £25. I am sure it used to be something like £5.

No doubt the R&A wants to make up for the loss of the last two years but they are steep increases.

At least I live quite near to the course, so I have no accommodation costs and the rail fare is fairly inexpensive. But for anyone travelling from distance, adding train tickets and hotel bills to those ticket prices will get seriously expensive. I think it can be guaranteed that all the Liverpool hotels will be increasing their prices that week as well!

The R&A are pricing out a lot of people from attending. Don’t they know there is a cost of living crisis?

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2680

No cork it’s not “unfair”

Oval and lords cover whole south of England. Arguably the whole south midlands too given how close lords is to train connections (easy walk from Marylebone)

Not so long ago they were the only tests that sold out four days and there were some really poor turnouts at old trafford and headingly.

Purwell. That’s not the price for decent seats booked early. The ones that are remaining are premium seats in a new stand with a top view

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2680

Ben. I am a surrey member. I cant recall what general ticket prices were for the test (mine are pavilion) but they were nothing like that price.

Leave it to last minute for a near sold out event then your mate can’t really complain

I can also give away good advice re lords tickets but think I’ll keep it to myself …

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2680

Richard. Whether pricing is right or not I wa s there day one and three. There were very few empty seats

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2680

Purwell. I don’t know why I am doing this given your recent posts ….but you have mail

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1136

Fair enough Clive, maybe I just saw clips at the wrong time, I usually listen on radio if anything. Thought I read something about poor attendance but must have been someone talking rubbish.

Never actually been to any cricket, was planning to before covid. Maybe I’ll try Taunton first as it’s only just up the road.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2680

I went to Taunton for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It’s a cracking ground. I’ve been to most county grounds and it’s a good as any. Have decent crowds there too

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2673

I once heard that the ball was in play for only 12 minutes in a full day’s play of a test match. So that’s nearly £14 per minute :wacko:

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3956

Going to the opening day of Lancashire v Somerset at Southport & Birkdale on Monday. The ticket is only £10.

OK, it is not a Test match but it is excellent value.

The week after I am going to a European Tour golf tournament at Hillside which is only £20 for a day ticket. Again, great value.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.