The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tennis

Home Forums General Sports Tennis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Apples
    • Total Posts 2

I hope Aston picks this up, i remember last year, i questioned the abillaty of the English to win anything, he/she informed me that the "Jocks" are worse than the s**t
    he/she scrapes off the soles of he/she’s soles.  Well bite the bullet kiddo, a sweaty is right in there, a population of 5 mill, and we can still produce. And forget about the "Ashes" coz your going to get creamed again.<br>All you lot have got left is dreams

Purple Patch
    • Total Posts 15

Apples<br>Are you crazy? Do you want to start another fight?<br>Let the poor English chappies have a day or two to pack their rackets away for another summer before tearing into them like a demented Pict. Timmy tried his best.<br>On second thoughts … HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA .

Seriously, Henman looked liked he wanted to be somewhere else during his match with Tursunov. At 30 he’s past it, over the hill, gone. But hey, he didn’t ask to be built up by the media and public into the great English hope, he just did his best and just when he looked like making it he bottled it, time and again.<br>Now the Scots lad Murray, he’s skooshed through two opponents who should, on paper, have cuffed his ass. Nalbandian is a former finalist and ranked 19 in the world. Murray shouldn’t beat him. But he will. ‘Cos he’s got bottle. Mark my words. You read it here first.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I think it’s a bit early to claim supremacy over the English when it comes to tennis.

What’s Scotland done in tennis in the last 30 years?

According to the rankings from this month, we’ve got the best woman’s player (Baltacha – 126th) thanks to the wonders of immigration/lower division football.

The next best British player is over 100 places behind her.

However, in the men’s, Henman is consistently in the top 15 or so, sometimes top 8 or 10. This Scottish lad is ranked 300 and something.

It could be that in a couple of years, Scotland will have the top man and woman in Britain, but let’s not get carried away just yet.

On the subject of Henman, I think some of the criticism he’s received is ridiculous.

While I’m no big fan, he’s been the best British player in 20 years (by a long way) and the criticisms of him seem to be that, while he’s far better than his predecessors, he’s not better by a big enough margin.

Hardly a reasonable complaint, IMO.

Steve    

Purple Patch
    • Total Posts 15

Fair point Steve, but we Scots are entitled to the odd moment of irrational nationalistic gloat.<br>It is only natural after 40 years of Frank Haffey, World Cup 66, Grand Slams, Rugby World Cups, Steve Redgrave et al.<br>Still, England can claim a certain degree of credit for young Murray’s latest development. His mother Judy was the National coach in Scotland but resigned and moved south because of the lack of funding for Scottish tennis eminating from our wonderful new Parly in Edinburgh. I bet it takes Jack McConnell five minutes to arrange to have his photograph taken with Murray as soon as the hooha has calmed down and the lad returns to Dunblane for a break.<br>

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Purple Patch

I bet it takes Jack McConnell five minutes to arrange to have his photograph taken with Murray

Good luck trying to find someone who’ll lay that bet. :biggrin:

Steve

wilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

IMO Henman has got to the point where he must despise the approach of Wimbledon.

He and hopefully all of the country have by now realised that while he is, without doubt, the best player we’ve produced in recent years he simply hasn’t been good enough to beat the best in the world.

That is no fault of his by the way.

If I were in his tennis shoes I’d be far, far happier playing overseas.

As for the emergence of Scottish tennis fans (never thought I’d use those three words in the same sentence), Murray seems a decent player but why the ‘I don’t want to be associated with being British – I’m Scottish’ comments followed by the on court Saltire flag ? – (yes, I know he hasn’t reproduced it at Wimbledon).

Don’t get me wrong I love seeing people proudly showing off their national colours but just can’t understand why it seems acceptable for everyone else other than England.

I live in the middle of Birmingham and a couple of years back was refused entry to a completely neutral pub for wearing an England shirt on April 23rd.

The very same pub that had held St Patricks’s day celebrations the previous month.

Enjoy "your" moment of glory if that’s how you see it.

Lee

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I don’t mind the Scottish players, it’s the commentators I can’t stand .. :biggrin:

Apples
    • Total Posts 2

stevedgv

What has England done in the last 30 years at tennis??, you had Bates, Loyd, Ruzetski, and Henman, all were nailed on winners, b*****ks
    , they could’nt hit water if they fell out of a boat, oh i forgot about the "Lady Man" Virginia Wade.  O.K i’ll buy the fact that Murray will get cuffed in the next round, but is’nt he just refreshing.

Dungheap
    • Total Posts 113

but we Scots are entitled to the odd moment of irrational nationalistic gloat-the odd moment?:biggrin:

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Apples

Murray will get cuffed in the next round, but is’nt he just refreshing.

It’s good to see a young Scottish sportsman doing well and showing a lot of promise.

We don’t get to see that very often (due to the lack of funding for Scottish sport).

However, I don’t think we can start to bragg about our tennis just yet as we don’t have a player in the top 100 of either sex.

Dave Jay

I don’t mind the Scottish players, it’s the commentators I can’t stand

And I’m sure you’ll understand when I say that, for me,  the last 15 minutes or so of the England-Portugal game last year was soured by having to listen to the commentator repeatedly bleating about a goal being disallowed when that was quite clearly the correct decision.

In many sports where their own country is concerned, commentators can be supporters.  

If you live in France, they see things as France supporters, in England as England supporters and in Scotland as ….. England supporters most of the time (eg Eng-Por) but Scotland supporters sometimes too.

You (as an Englishman and I as Scotsman) have to accept this as a downside of living in a better part of the UK.

Steve

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

Re Henman- He’s had an impossible task trying to live up to expectations at Wimbledon but has always carried himself well in both victory and defeat and he is by far and away the best English male player in living memory. His remarkable composure the other day when, moments after his defeat, he had some BBC twat wittering on along the lines of ‘don’t you think it’s time you hung up your racket’ was remarkable. Obviously disappointed and looking a little edgy Henman controlled himself and respectably reminded his interviewer that he was still currently ranked number nine in the world. Henman is anything but a failure – in fact, as far as British tennis goes, he’s a raging success and should be lauded as such.

Regarding SCOTLAND and Andy Murray. He’s done brilliantly and could spring another shock today. Fantastic to see a Scottish lad doing so well. Funny though that as soon as he’d won he immediately became BRITISH (Tim out by that point also). I have it on good authority from my tennis pals that Andrew reminds umpires who introduce him as British to correct themselves and call him Scottish so fair play to him for that.

Dissapointing also, while we’re on the nationalistic trail, to see the English, Welsh and Irish ‘Lions’ defeated today. Totally outclassed. They should have had a couple of SCOTTISH boys in there to inject the missing PASSION, or even Henson (currently injecting passion elsewhere:).

Also – I didn’t see the post match interviews etc but presumably Sir Clive did apologise to Henson for getting it so badly wrong in leaving him out. Will Greenwood indeed.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I thought it was great of the English to re-name Henman Hill and call it Mount Murray ..

Does anyone know when the Bill Baxter bridge is opening at Wembley?

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

Some interesting :old: points

Billie Jean King played the most interesrting doubles<br> of the old girl voulez vous brat pack

Roger Taylor was actually Rod Laver with a stitched on face and shrunken left arm

Had germany won the war we could have won Wimbledon with<br>  Boris Smith-Becker. He’d only have one once though – stiffening upper lip ruined his later chances

<br> flatcapgamble… Stan Smith was the only tue gentleman – he always finished last :biggrin:

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

Murray will shortly be giving "Tiger" [lol] Tim another good beating.:cool:

GIRUY Timmy

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

Nice one Murray :) -a close match though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.