The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

teletext services

Home Forums Horse Racing teletext services

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    vikingflagship
    Participant
    • Total Posts 905

on bbc are now soo poor theyve cut down its a waste of time being up now :?

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

I agree viking. So poor. mmmm

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Absolutely useless, and very bad layout

A shame…used to be first port of call over breakfast in the Zoz household….

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Hadn’t heard that TC – just that there were ‘changes to the service’

Ie it’s now shite!!! :x

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

TC, the changes came into force last week sometime. It basically cut down on decs and news, and just became a basic results service with one or two stories featured. The Beeb haven’t completely got rid of racing from it’s screens, well not yet anyway!

Agreeing with Zoz though, it’s distinctly tame (and pish) these days. Must be depressive reading first thing in the morning now!

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Almost as depressing as second page of choice, the football for Chelsea updates

Sigh :(

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

It was almost a lot worse for you, I saw this on Teletexts’ coverage of transfer deadline day:

A Grant, Chelsea – Southend [loan]

:shock:

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

PMSL

:lol:

If only……. 8)

Worringly I think he’s moonlighting..I’m sure I saw him driving a taxi in Wisbech the other day…

FlatSeasonLover
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2068

Yeah I was a big user of teletext for the horse racing service…. its people without internet I feel sorry for like my grandad… how is he going to get the information he could get to now…. also the money talks page had cracking information but thats gone now as well. :(

The Judge
    • Total Posts 74

No news on the morning inspections from Ceefax, used to be very good at updating this information :x

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Considering all this info is available on the web, which you all have access to, is it a huge surprise that licence fee payers money is being spent elsewhere.

vikingflagship
    Participant
    • Total Posts 905

i often used it in the mornings as i cant always get internet access especially when other family members wont budge off the net for me :lol: :?

i often went on the antepost pages too see what market movers their were n major races now ive lost my cheltenham festival and grand national antepost morning checks :shock: :roll: and early morning prices on the days races as our bookies take ages to screen up the odds on the tvs in the shop its useless, the teletext odds used to give me something to compare to our bookies prices which more often then not were lower then elsewhere

for what they are giving us they might as well scrap the page all together

vf

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Considering all this info is available on the web, which you all have access to, is it a huge surprise that licence fee payers money is being spent elsewhere.

It’s a fair point DJ, but I’d imagine most of what ceefax contains is available online these days, and I don’t see a mad rush to strip all of those down to the lowest common denominator. It’s also more than coincedence IMO that these cutbacks have taken place in tandem with the BBC’s racing service on Saturday afternoons tumbling down the pecking order.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5407

For those with only terrestrial TV, Channel 4 Text p550 is still going strong and is pretty comprehensive, though admittedly tarnished by the immensely irritating ‘I gotta horse’ adverts.

And of course both ATR and RUK have Text services.

A gradual whittling-down of terrestrial Ceefax/Teletext would seem likely as the analogue ‘switch-off’ approaches.

As DJ intimates there is something of the ‘that was then this is now’ redundancy about Ceefax p660. It was good though.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Maybe it’s just a matter f time before the do away with TV’s completely never mind cefax…….all be done with computers in the future. Could it be the BBC feel it’s nonsensical them providing info that is readily available on the web?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.