The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

TAPK (Cheltenham wagers)

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays TAPK (Cheltenham wagers)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

15 days and 23 hrs to go to the Worlds greatest festival,a meeting I spend 366 days studying for!Since I started betting with Betfair in 2005 I haven’t lost a penny in the Ryanair Chase in 7 years and this years race will test me big time,more about that later! This thread is all about how I’m going to break my Lucky 7 winners,a figure I have achieved again since 2005 every year! It should have been 8 last year but ‘Kumbeshwar’,and ‘Get Me Out Of Here’ lost on the nod!
    I know I’m setting myself up big time here but hey confidence is King and I’ve got plenty! 8)

Supreme Nov Hurdle,
    I can confidently put up Darlan here,I’m on at 18’s and 12/1,he reminds me a lot of ‘Get Me Out Of Here’ and apart from a crashing fall when looking like a certain winner last time out to me, he’s improved a good 20lb since his last visit to Cheltenham,so long as he’s not lost any confidence and is physically sound I believe Nicky will let him take his chance in this a favourite race of mine! Dangers? ‘Trifolium’!
    Previous Successes- ‘Forest sun’ 20/1 returned 7/4fav 1990 and ‘Arcalis’ 25/1 returned 20/1.

Darlan currently trades at 6/1 and has recieved sustained support for the past week,thats the sort of movement that signals
    positive signs all is well!

Absolutely convinced Darlan is the real deal in this and wouldn’t swap him for anything,obviously he needs luck in running but granted a clear passage he wins! Trifolium and Simenon at a big price to chase him home!

A profitable race but one that could have really set me up for the week,I feel slightly unlucky but both horses were placed and backed e/w so a good start![/color:8118kjn3]

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

The Arkle

Ok so this ‘Sprinter Sacre’ looks the real deal but is he made of glass or Steel,this race will tell us! I’m on

Al Ferof

12’s and 10/1 with some 7/1 too.I’m sticking with him through all the hype this fav’s getting,my horse is hard as nails and will fly up the hill,the Fav will set it up perfectly and The Grey will do what he did last year and beat him again imo.
    Dangers?’Sprinter Sacre’ if he gats away from mine! ‘Peddlars Cross’ if he jumps cleanly!
    Previous Winners-‘Commandante’ 16/1,1990 returned 9/1, ‘Forpadydeplasterer’ 25/1,2009 returned 8/1

Doubts surrounding ‘Peddlers Cross’ participation in this, connections waving white flags!

Al Ferof

now into 4/1,again things are moving the right way from an ante-Post perspective. (02/03/12).

Again No doubts in my mind I’m on the best horse!

Al Ferof

will need to keep ‘Sprinter’ at arms length but after the last if they are side by side there’s only one winner!

Menorah

to chase him home!

A bad result,No question about it,at 10/1 I would have settled for a place in such a small field!

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Champion Hurdle

Another favourite race of mine but this year I have lost near on Β£1500 on

Spirit Son

,its always a sickener and you never get used to it but the highs of Ante-Post betting have always far outweighed the losses so its a case of move on! On what I have seen I beleive the e/w bet of the day has to be

Binocular

at 5/1,he is the easiest horse in the world to know if he’s on a good day just by looking at AP’s style in the saddle,he rides this fellow like no other horse and when he’s good he’s very good,a repeat of his last run is enough to give the reigning champ a fright,I’m on at 10’s on the machine to recover my losses,I’ll be happy with that!
    Dangers? ‘Hurricane Fly’ Obviously! and ‘Zarkandar’ still more to come from this fellow who will fly up the hill too!
    Previous Winners-‘Celtic Shot’ 20/1,1988 returned 8/1
    ‘Morley Street’ 10/1,1991 returned 4/1.

All quiet on the

Binocular

front,a gust of wind could change that though! always on tenterhooks with this fellow!Still plenty 5/1 around. (02/03/12).

I’m not Bullish about

Binocular

but at 5/1 he is a bet to nothing,has to be placed at worst but if he turns up in the form of his last victory he’ll give the ‘Hurricane’ a fright!

Celestial Halo

to be placed would be great!

The worst Ante-Post result of the week with ‘Spirit Son not running,I clawed my Binocular stake back with ‘Overturn’ to place at 5/1,small compensation!

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Festival Chase

Tricky one Ante-Post but there’s a couple I have had my eye on,’The Package’ could be a blot on the handicap again,pipped 2 years ago off much the same mark,the stable are brilliant at laying one out.I know ‘Junior’ hasn’t been laid out for anything this year other than The National but he could be a player in this however my selection is

Quantitiveasing

, I reckon this fellow is a 2013 Dark horse for the Gold Cup so I hope connections do decide to step him up in trip now.I’m on at 12’s.
    Dangers? ‘The Package’ for one! ‘Magnanimity’ if he runs!
    Previous winners- Charter Party,10/1 1986 ‘Frenchmans Creek’ 12/1 2002.

Another one of mine who has attracted plenty of support,now a 6/1 chance,plenty of weight and will have his work cut out against my 2 dangers who are well weighted.

Magnanimity

at 25/1 is my e/w bet of the day should he run! (02/03/12).

Totally convinced one of my 3 Ante-Post selections will win this but I can only put one up as the winner and I’m tossing a coin between

Magnanimty

and ‘Quantitiveeasing’!!
    At the weights I’m going with

Magnanimity

!!

Medium losses on both horses but another dissapointment as neither looked like winning!

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Cross Country race

A fine spectacle but a No bet race for me!

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

David Nicholson Mares final

Again a No bet race but I will enjoy cheering ‘Quevega’ home!

My selection has to be

Alasi

I’m on at 20/1,so as much as she will struggle with the fav,a place is not beyond her! i did think she was going for the Centenary though!

Dissapointed to be robbed of 3rd place on the line but only to small stakes!

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Centenary Nov Chase

I like ‘Alasi’ and ‘Cucumber Run’ for this but have No Ante-Post wagers at all at the moment!

Still like the above 2 and have backed

Alasi

in the hope she returns to fences at 20/1. (02/03/12)

Again only small stakes loser as a N/R.

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Day 2,

4m National Hunt race

My initial fancy for this was the Gigginstown horse ‘Crash’ but he’s not been entered so my options are still open on this one!

Four Commanders

at 12/1 is my selection in the 4 miler,his form through ‘Sir des Champs’ and ‘Last Instalment’ is good enough for me!

A good result but I thought at the last he was the winner,No complaints to a small profit!

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

RSA

Here we go,the gloves are off big time on this race another fav of mine.My extremely confident selection here is

First Lieutenant

,he’s shown nothing like the form that saw him fly up the hill in last years ‘Neptune’but he has Chaser written all over him and I have been backing him for almost a year for this at 20/1 down.I have exactly the same feeling about him as i did ‘Weapons Amnesty’ and back then we had ‘Long run’ and ‘Burton Port’ to worry about,I fear nothing and put this fellow down as my Banker of the day!
    Dangers? ‘Grand Crus’ If he battles like mine!
    Previous Winners-Too many to list but ‘Trabolgan’16/1 2005 returned 5/1,’Denman’ 10/1 2007 returned Evs, ‘Albertas Run’ 25/1 2008 returned 4/1, ‘Weapons Amnesty’ 16/1 2010 returned 10/1.

I cant hide my dissapointment that my ‘Jewson’ banker now runs against my RSA Banker,whoever gets their ground wins,Soft and its

Sir Des Champs

and Good and its

First Lieutenant

,if Davy stays loyal,I’ll feel better! :(

I wouldn’t swap

First Lieutenant

for anything and am still as confident as ever,this fellow is my banker of the meeting so I will be gutted if he cant at least get placed!

My first big bet of the festival had me shouting jumping the last but was beaten by a sedate early pace,he never let me down and from an Ante-Post perspective it was a great result,No complaints with 10 e/w bets on the horse!

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Neptune hurdle

My main hope hear is that ‘Boston Bob’runs in this and not the ‘Albert Bartlett’ but I do like this

Battonnier

,he ticks my boxes and have backed him at 12’s,again he has chaser written all over him just like Denman and First Lieutenant did and thay both ran crackers in this,I like this fellow a lot,next years RSA winner imo and I’ve backed that up at 66/1!
    Dangers? ‘Simonsig’If he stays on the bridle!
    Previous winners-‘Nicanor’ 16/1 2006 returned 8/1.

Still happy with

Batonnier

and expect a big run if he gets the fav rattled he’ll defineately out battle him.

Dissapointed that he was a N/R,small stakes loser!

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Champion Chase

I cant go past

Sizing Europe

even if ‘Somersby’ runs which I hope he doesn’t! I’m on at 7/2 with an interest at 14/1 in a double,I really cant see anything troubling him and even evens looks generous to me,a certainty if he stands up for sure!
    Dangers? ‘Somersby’ if he runs!Nothing else!
    Previous winners; ‘One Man’ 12/1 1998,returned 7/2, ‘Azertyuiop’ 10/1,2004 returned 2/1.

This fellow is the real deal and should be a certainty,here’s hoping anyway!

No complaints as the best horse on the day won and deserved too imo!Medium stake loser!

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Coral Cup

Here we go again,I see the smokescreens are up on this one having got mugged on the line in last years ‘County hurdle’,I see he has an entry again and also ‘The Pertemps final’.I’m totally convinced even with top weight this fellow is a certainty for this ‘The Coral cup’.I have been backing him since Betfair opened a book and have 20’s 16’s down to 12/1.I love this horse and if there’s any justice he’ll win,I wouldn’t mind Maurice taking 7lb off either,he’s a capable lad,JP will lump on him on the day and i can see a massive gamble,he’s called

Get Me Out Of Here

Dangers? Something getting around 18lb!
    Previous winners- ‘Spirit River’ 10/1 2010,’Carlito Brigante’16/1,2011.

Its not just me thats ‘hammering’ this fellow but the gambles picking up pace and he’s into 8/1,signs are crucial at this game and thats a good one,we dont need Indian smoke signals here! 8)

I cant beleive connections aren’t using their 7lb claimer today as 11-12 is a helluva weight,the bloody ‘Pipe’ horse looks thrown in getting near on 2 stone but we’ll see! the moneys down now.’Carlito Brigante’ would still be my danger though!

:twisted:

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Fred Winter Juvenile

Nothing at all in this one either,I’ll leave it open for now,’Hinterland’ could be interesting!

Kazlian

is my selection here,its not a race I put much effort into but a winners a winner!

Yet another small stakes winner thanks to betting e/w!

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Champion Bumper

I like the bumper,I liked both ‘Cue Card’ and ‘Al Ferof’ from a couple of years ago but nothing caught my eye in last years,we’ll see nearer the time.

I have backed

Horatio Hornblower

at 25/1 for this,having been advised by GDC to watch his Newbury debut,eyecatching or what? (03/03/12)

I’m still more than happy with my selection in this and wouldn’t swap him for anything!

A dissapointing small stakes loser!

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Day 3,

The Jewson Chase

A difficult one this as ‘Al Ferof’ and ‘Peddlers Cross’ are both entered but my colours are purple and

Sir Des champs

ticks all the boxes,he looks a very progressive sort who at the moment would make his owner a fine ‘Ryanair’ candidate for next year!He looks classy and has a wicked turn of foot,he’s banker material so long as the other 2 dont run.I have backed him at 12/1.
    Dangers? ‘Al ferof’ and ‘Peddlers Cross’ if they run!
    Previous winners-None.

I cant understand for the life of me why ‘Gigginstown’ dont want to win both the ‘Jewson’ and the RSA,they have 2 live chances but alas No they put all their eggs in one basket and bloody scramble my Ante-Post wagers on

First Lieutenant

and

Sir des Champs

! :roll:

Great to see the right decision was made in the end to run

Sir des Champs

in this,if we can out jump ‘Peddlers’ we win!

And he won like the absolute star some of us on here said he was! My first Winner of the festival and what a way to do it.Gold Cup horse if ever there was!

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Pertemps hurdle final

Another great handicap which sees

Buena Vista

come alive all but once a year,its incredible how he just doesn’t want to know until Cheltenham in March comes around,who says horses aren’t clever? :shock:He’s done me proud in this race before and I’ll cheer him and Haddon on again this year.I’m on at 12/1.
    Dangers? ‘Sunnyhill Boy’, ‘Ashkazar’, ‘Barwell Boy’
    Previous winners-‘Buena Vista’16/1 and 20/1,2010,2011.

I’m staying loyal to

Buena Vista

,he’ll run his race for sure!

Bit of aftertiming here but when you tell it as it is some on here know I dont mince my words,I backed ‘Cape Tribulation’ at 25/1,only to small stakes but another profitable race for me! I also lost on ‘Barwell boy’ and ‘Buena Vista’

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

The Ryanair

Or should I say the race of the meeting!My record in this race is second to none,my highlight over the years has to be ‘Albertas Run’ he’s always been a star to me and one of my biggest money spinners!
    I have supported him again this year and will cheer him home if he’s still in there with a chance,however i have to be realistic and accept he’s 11yo now and my 2 fancies are only 8yo.When I say I cant split

Somersby

and

Medermit

I mean I cant split them,if they both put their best foot forward they will jump the last together and battle up the hill together,a dead heat will suit me fine as I have backed both at 20/1 to big stakes.
    Dangers? A plenty thats why its the race of the meeting imo.
    Previous winners- I’ve never lost on the race!

Still convinced its a 2 horse race and I still cant split them!

Race of the meeting and another profitable one thanks to ‘Albertas Run’ and ‘Medermit’ doing exactly what I expected and Battle!!’Somersby’ dissapointed though!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 139 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.