The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sussex Stakes 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Sussex Stakes 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1415

I must say I am somewhat concerned with Aidan’s response following the race.We are like halfway through the season and he is talking about his horse ie Rip van Winkle, not being at his peak yet.Surely his job is to get them to their peak for the classics or at least for Ascot. But at Goodwood and still talking that stuff is somewhat disconcerting to me at least.The season will be over before he has them ready at this rate.RVW did not look reasdy to run for his life.They seemed to be coming along nicely leading up to the Derby,and they ran OK in the irish Derby so what is this talk about?Am I reading too much into it? Incidentally his 2yos are being consistently beaten at money on prices in Ireland. Anyone notice it? I won’t use the "B" word.

I don’t know whats going on at Ballydoyle but they’re having a shocker of a season given the scale of their operation.

Why are O’Brien’s horses needing the run? andyod is right its O’Brien’s job to get them fit its not 1980 now trainers get them fit at home all the time.

Is there a bug in the yard, is Aidan losing the plot? You can’t back any of his horses with confidence. Compare this with a couple of years ago when he was winning seemingly everything. Maybe he needs to go back to basics?

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Can’t help but agree. He used to have horses ready to win the Guineas.Now he is throwing them at the races like a dart board and going on about their next race.But maybe this year is a health problem year.Basically none of his three y.o’s. lived upm to their promise of last year; worst of all SNA. If he comes back healthy and does what he did last year he coud salvage something from the wreck.

• Total Posts 403

Fame & Glory was ready after just the one run. I think we should give AOB the benefit of the doubt with Rip. He was basically done for the year after the Sussex last year and was fortunate not to have any real opposition at Ascot. I just hope he ignores America and runs the horse in the Champion Stakes as his swansong.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

AOB has had his older horses in tremendous form at this time other years, including RVW. However, look at the stables record in October onwards (Arc, Champion Stakes and Breeders Cup etc. and it’s not been great.

I believe the idea was for a slow start with the older horses in the hope they’d be spot on later in the year. My guess is he’s overdone it. Not sure you can pick and choose when they’re right anyway.

Having said that, RVW is a hard horse to train (bad feet) so might be tricky to get fit.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1404

Is Canford Cliffs better than Sea The Stars? I actually think it’s a very close call. CC has already achieved more at a mile than what STS did.

Have to admit, Canford Cliffs excites me more than Sea The Stars. There’s something about CC’s style of running that reminds me of Dancing Brave … waiting for that tremendous turn of foot to ignite as the 2 furlong marker appears. And the fact that Richard Hughes can afford to give 4 or 5 lengths away in CC’s races (last two) just shows what kind of a beast he’s sitting on.

Goldikova

will

lose her crown to Canford Cliffs :lol:

Swifto
    • Total Posts 16

I think CC will take Goldikova’s crown, I dont think there is a better miler than CC at the moment.

There is talk of CC running next year as a 4 year old, the same as Dick Turpin. That has been said in the RP and by Hannon now.

Do you think they can they step up CC to 1m2f?

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

CC is a brilliant miler.But he did not win the Guineas,the Derby nor the Arc.Enough said.There was something inside Sea the Stars that is inside very few horses.Super Class.

del_boy
    • Total Posts 386

CC got a bad ride in the guineas, it never ran in the derby, and it wont run in the arc!!

personally, i think there is going to be a big upset for Goldikova in the QE2. she is the best mare out there imo, but i dont think she is the best miler. maybe she was in 2009, but she has to meet CC yet to prove herself the best 2010 miler.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Well you got the bit right about him not running in the Arc which I’ll give you 1/2 pts for that asumption :lol:

A bad ride in the Guineas? :shock: Had he been good enough on the day Hughsie would have won on him……came there at the right time horse just needed more time to come to himself physically. Not even a hint of a bad ride from the man.

As far as Goldikova goes neither camp will be rushing to see one of those two lose face……….not this season anyway.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

I hope you are wrong – racing is all the better for these sort of clashes happening, and the QE2 seems the natural meeting place.

del_boy
    • Total Posts 386

well i thought it was a bad ride, they had it too far back and should of kicked on sooner. they’ve learnt their lesson.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Don’t think it was a bad ride in the 2000 Del Boy. I backed him ante-post. First time the horse was held up. Pulled too hard early on and got rid of a lot of energy. When Hughsie went for him in the final furlong there wasn’t much left, effectively not staying the trip that day.

Now he settles better, Canford Cliffs stays a mile well and has bags more energy left for the latter stages. Still think he could be Champion Sprinter if they’d go that route though.

Value Is Everything
    pedigreeman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 62

Trying to compare CC and STS is folly – different type of horse altogether.

The Rock of Gibraltar comparison is a better one.

I see Goldikova and Paco Boy are set fair to renew rivalry in France. And that Hannon, with the latter, at the moment at least, is open to a long avoided return to the Breeders Cup.

I agree that the only sensible positive reading of Ballydoyle’s season is that they’ve pursued a strategy of looking to the Autumn. It’s something that, essentially, Godolphin have done for a while. Doesn’t mean it bears fruit though.

There’s perhaps some increasing premium on stud value with a Breeders Cup victory in a cv? I’ve not done the research. Although for sure the event has grown in my own consciousness over the last 5 years. Increased media coverage, increasing internationalisation of racing etc.

Europe (or should we say Great Britain and Ireland) should do well, then, come November at Churchill Downs.

The Breeders Cup, a little like golf’s Ryder Cup, does have that frisson of transantlantic international rivalry. Unlike, of course, that farce of an event just about to kick-off at Ascot which should be dropped from the calendar immediately.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I love the line Europe(or should we say Great Britain and Ireland).I would say France and the rest of Europe.France have never let Europe down in the Breeder’s Cup over many years.

Avatar photoRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1150

Greatest Miler Ever FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Total Posts 1415

Legend. I’ve been telling everyone this for months and months. He will be even better when he settles off the pace in a strongly run race. This is one of the greatest horses the world has ever seen, no exageration. Canford Cliffs is top, top class make no mistake about it and Frankel broke him, easily. Awesome!

Avatar photoRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1150

Jim Mcgrath get off the TV….constantly saying the 3yr old are no good.

Eat your words you Coward.

Blaming GOD For Canford Cliffs defeat.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.