The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Stand Guard

Home Forums Horse Racing Stand Guard

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

The UK’s answer to Rapid Redux won a record 26th all-weather race today.

Does anyone know what the official explanations were for the swathe of horses that pulled out of his race at the last minute?

Anyway, well done to the old lad. It has mostly been very small-field claimers recently, but he is doing an excellent job of hoovering up crumbs of prize money for his connections.

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

The official reasons for the 4 non-runners were as follows:- Heat in Leg, Bruised Foot, Not Eaten Up and Not Sound.

They were all declared non-runners between 10.15 and 13.49 (info from BHA website non-runner reports).

We can have opinions on the number of "nonners" in one race, and they are all legitimate reasons, but it is an embarrassment to the sport both at home and overseas.

Congratulations to Stand Guard and connections and as Robert Cooper said "to think Sir Michael Stoute let him go" !!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

No early prices on his race with Coral and Bet365 today.

Wise move I think!

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

This time it’s Stand Guard that is a non runner. Must be a very strange stable he’s based at, as he was taken out at 12:15 on a self certificate on the grounds ‘not having eaten up’.

Firstly, in every stable I’ve been connected with, horses are fed early in the morning, so if a horse had left his feed, you’d know by 7:30 at the very latest.

Secondly, if you train in Newmarket and have a runner in the 4:00 at Southwell, you’d be in a horsebox on the way to track long before 12:15.

Presumably they had to leave enough time after the shops opened to get on the current 1/8 favourite at early prices, which even with a Rule 4, will still be a very good value bet.

But perhaps I’m just an old cynic – after all Mr Butler assured after his participation in the latest Curley Coup, that he has no knowledge of betting and is merely an innocent bystander.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Self-certification eh?

Worked well in the mortgage market too.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

I’ve no experience of the auctioning off of selling horses, how is a horse ‘bought in’ by the same trainer/owner? You can not exactly buy something you already own, do you just end up liable for commission fees etc?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

In effect, by winning a selling race, the owner loses the horse and it becomes the property of the racecourse – the owner then has to outbid any other interested party at the subsequent auction.

If there are no bidders, the horse remains with the original owner and no money changes hands.

But if there is a competitive auction, after which the owner has bought back his horse (aka bought in), then he has to pay the racecourse 50% of the difference between the minimum bid specified in the race conditions and the final price at the auction.

In this case, the minimum bid was £3000, the final price was £20,500, so the owner has to pay Southwell £8,750 (£20,500 – £3,000 divided by 2).

The same division of ther spoils applies if someone else buys the horse, except that the origianl owner gets all of the first three thousand. So you ‘sell’ your horse for £20,500, but only actually get back £11,750.

It sounds ridiculous, but it’s intended as a deterrent to prevent owners running good class horses in sellers simply to win a race and collect the prize money (or land a big bet!). It dates back over 100 years to a time when selling races made up about a third of the racing program.

Pre WW1, even the Cheltenham NH meeting, then a two day affair that included several races familiar today, started both days
    with two selling races, one over hurdles, one over fences.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

A trainer explained to me that the training fraternity have a very gentlemanly code when it comes to selling races.

The unwritten rule is that you must ask the original trainer’s permission to bid for the horse at the sale. If they politely say no, then you are expected to stay away from the auction.

A few years ago, the Pipes were a little upset when their Better Moment won a seller and got bought after a mini battle at the auction. It’s a strange state of affairs!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Thank you for that, Alan.

Always assumed something to that effect, TYF.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33005

This time it’s Stand Guard that is a non runner. Must be a very strange stable he’s based at, as he was taken out at 12:15 on a self certificate on the grounds ‘not having eaten up’.

Firstly, in every stable I’ve been connected with, horses are fed early in the morning, so if a horse had left his feed, you’d know by 7:30 at the very latest.

Secondly, if you train in Newmarket and have a runner in the 4:00 at Southwell, you’d be in a horsebox on the way to track long before 12:15.

Presumably they had to leave enough time after the shops opened to get on the current 1/8 favourite at early prices, which even with a Rule 4, will still be a very good value bet.

But perhaps I’m just an old cynic – after all Mr Butler assured after his participation in the latest Curley Coup, that he has no knowledge of betting and is merely an innocent bystander.

Wow!
    Are they going to get away with it?
    Why not change Rule 4 so it can’t be such a value bet?

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

More strange goings-on at the marshmallow pits today.

Bookies are generally SP-only on all-weather races involving Newcombe and Stokell runners. Time Medicean also backed from 22-1 into 4-1. :shock:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Time Medicean (owned by a certain C A Cyzer) wins at 9-4f (opened 22-1).

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

He is registered as owned by Tony Carroll.

I know the gamble raises eyebrows but he must have done something back home to encourage it on this occasion.

Tbh I just think Time Medician was thrown in in what was a very bad race.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.