The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Stabling numbers

Home Forums Horse Racing Stabling numbers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Hello again chums,

Would anyone be willing and able to list the stabling capacities of all jumps tracks on this thread, or alternatively point me in the direction of a list of them somewhere online, please?

Cheers in advance,

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

This is the most up to date list and the numbers do often fluctuate for one reason or another. The Newmarket figure is a bit of an anomaly as trainers that pay Newmarket Heath tax do not have to use the racecourse stables (hence the much higher total field sizes at an average Newmarket meeting than the stabling figure suggests). The Musselburgh figure is a temporary one due to the ongoing redevelopment of the racecourse stables.

Aintree 162
    Ascot 175
    Ayr 175
    Bangor-on-Dee 82
    Bath 120
    Beverley 112
    Brighton 103
    Carlisle 98
    Cartmel 75
    Catterick Bridge 116
    Cheltenham 203
    Chepstow 106
    Chester 138
    Doncaster 150
    Epsom Downs 108
    Exeter 90
    Fakenham 70
    Folkestone 93
    Fontwell Park 90
    Goodwood 130
    Hamilton Park 102
    Haydock Park 124
    Hereford 105
    Hexham 93
    Huntingdon 100
    Kelso 94
    Kempton Park 119
    Leicester 108
    Lingfield Park 97
    Ludlow 100
    Market Rasen 87
    Musselburgh 92
    Newbury 126
    Newcastle 135
    *Newmarket 100
    Newton Abbot 80
    Nottingham 124
    Perth 98
    Plumpton 76
    Pontefract 114
    Redcar 144
    Ripon 103
    Salisbury 114
    Sandown Park 110
    Sedgefield 116
    Southwell 73
    Stratford-on-Avon 89
    Taunton 90
    Thirsk 110
    Towcester 101
    Uttoxeter 104
    Warwick 117
    Wetherby 91
    Wincanton 94
    Windsor 118
    Wolverhampton 103
    Worcester 100
    Yarmouth 130
    York 177

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Didn’t find it where I thought I might and can now see HJ has posted the details.

That said, I did have a quick look at the RaceCourse Association website and it is actually very good in case anyone wants to have a look…

http://www.britishracecourses.org/index.php

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Just the ticket, HJ!

I can envisage putting these to some good use in the coming months, and one trend I can see has already emerged.

Bangor had 53 declared runners today set against a stabling capacity of 82. The hunters’ chase could have featured a maximum field free of any BHA-enforced balloting, therefore, but only six lined up.

Huntingdon yesterday filled 91 out of 100 stables. The hunters’ chase was again not subject to balloting-out, but only mustered 10 runners (reduced to nine when Bay Island abstained).

Ludlow on Wednesday filled 81 out of 100 stables, but only five lined up for the hunters’ chase.

Fontwell last Sunday filled 69 out of 90 stables, but again only five contested the hunter.

So, that’s four hunters’ chases run so far this winter, all of which had carte blanche to feature 14, 15, maybe 16 runners the way the balloting panned out (i.e. none was needed), but none of which did.

Notwithstanding the presence of professionally-trained animals contesting – and indeed winning – all of those races, there was still some prizemoney going spare for the amateurs behind the Nicholls / Hobbs / Williams / O’Neill inmates; and the fact that three of the races were over sub-3m trips should have attracted more animals for whom the regular (same) point-to-pointing trip is usually a bit too far.

Once the balloting out starts to kick in (and it will at some stage), the amateur fraternity has to look at this last week’s hunters’ chase action as constituting a succession of chances to run under Rules (and make a few bob) gone begging.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

lekha85
    Participant
    • Total Posts 330

Do Hunter Chase runners have to use racecourse stables though? I had a feeling they ran off their boxes…

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Hunter Chasers have to use the racecourse stables like anyone else Lekha. The new rule that everyone is grumbling about is the fact that if the total number of runners declared for a meeting exceeds the number of available stables it is the Hunter Chase that suffers in the fact that the number of runners in that race will get reduced to nine (?) if necessary before any other safety factors are taken into account.

A very crude example – you have a meeting where there are six races with 20 declared overnight runners in each race (120 runners) but the stabling capacity is just 100. Eleven of the twenty runners in the Hunter Chase would therefore automatically be ballotted out before they even start thinking about eliminating runners from the other races.

lekha85
    Participant
    • Total Posts 330

Yes thank you HJ, I do understand how ballotting out works.

There was a time however when Hunter Chasers didn’t use the racecourse stables, it was at Kelso I think, and I was wondering if that was still the case or if it was just that one time and whether that rule applied across the board…but I stand corrected.

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Apologies Lekha, I hope the tone of my post didn’t come across as patronising as it certainly wasn’t meant to read that way. The speil about the balloting out procedure was for the wider audience on here in case people weren’t aware how it worked.

In the past I’m pretty sure that, as you say, Hunters didn’t have to use the racecourse stables, but the rules and regulations are so stringent these days that everyone has to be singing from the same hymn sheet, whether they like it or not.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Hunter chasers have to be stabled as well nowadays, I believe – I’m not sure the matter of balloting would be an issue otherwise.

I suppose there’d also be the issue of what precedent it would set nowadays, i.e. trainers of prospective runners in other races might argue they should be allowed to circumvent the balloting-out if they pledge beforehand to run their animals out of their boxes. That could all become quite tricky to manage or police pretty quickly.

gc

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.