The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Southwell – first visit

Home Forums Horse Racing Southwell – first visit

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

I visited Southwell for the first time today and was extremely impressed. The facilities are more than adequate, everything is incredibly well positioned (stables, pre-parde, paddock, weighing room, all a stones throw for the grandstand), and the surroundings are much prettier than I imagined. The whole place appears well run and their is a real racing atmosphere there, unlike, I have to say, at Wolverhampton.
    I am sorry I left Southwell until the 47th racecourse to visit. 12 to go!

Sean Rua
    • Total Posts 511

I agree, Welsh Wizard.

Southwell is much better in reality than it looks on TV. Some of those guys there know their stuff.

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

Yes i thought Southwell was very good, did you go in the way that takes you over the railway line?? Ha nearly got run over by one in car when went but other than that thought the facilities etc were very good. Would definitely go again

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Superb tomato and basil soup.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

I trust you didn’t leave without a trip to the wonderful open sweet stall!

Lovely, lovely Southwell. It’ll be a poor summer if I can’t get myself to some jumps action there.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

nice course, i’ll definitely be going back there

Maruco
    • Total Posts 28

Superb tomato and basil soup.

So as not to mislead anyone if they go to Southwell it was Cream of Mushroom when I last went, so I suggest you ring the racecourse before you leave to avoid disappointment and a totally ruined day. :D

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

anybody else miss frankies bar at lingfield ? they did great little polystyrene cups of soup with a bread roll and butter for £1.20 – perfect for in between the races and parade rings – little things like this make the day better imo

i emailed them about this quite strongly and i got a reply telling me to use the new canteen style shoite under the stand with shoite soup, extortionate prices, queues a mile long and confused/bored looking workers some of whom speak english apparently

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.