The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Southerndown

Home Forums Memorials Southerndown

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sberrysberry
    • Total Posts 1801

after 10 years of racing and having his 90th race at the age of 14 he fell and died at the last fence when looking set for picking up his eighth win

he placed 29 times often at good prices and was a reliable old thing, once being rated as high as 95 over fences after picking up a hat trick

sometimes i think that not enough recognition is given to the rest of the field, racing wouldn’t exist without horses like this and his ilk on the flat

i feel very sad for the connections of this horse :(

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

Quote: from sberry on 10:17 am on June 12, 2007[br]after 10 years of racing and having his 90th race at the age of 14 he fell and died at the last fence when looking set for picking up his eighth win

he placed 29 times often at good prices and was a reliable old thing, once being rated as high as 95 over fences after picking up a hat trick

sometimes i think that not enough recognition is given to the rest of the field, racing wouldn’t exist without horses like this and his ilk on the flat

i feel very sad for the connections of this horse :(

I don’t understand why you feel sorry for the connections of this horse, and castigate the owners of Cockney for not accepting the 10 mill. I think your opening line says it all about whether this poor old bugger should have still been flogging his way around Nabbot.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

He was ‘flogging his way around NAbbot’ beacuse he clearly still had a love for the game, seeing as he was poised to score when he came down.

I’m quick enough to chastise those who run horses when it’s clear that there is little chance of another good run in them. However, I have nothing but sympathy for the horse and those around him. Horses shouldn’t be wrapped in cotton wool and retired once they reach a certain age. The horse will tell you when it’s too old.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Shouldn’t this thread be relagated to Memorials ?

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

Aaah, poor ol’ Southern. <br>A great old trooper — I too had a tinge of a tear when I read of his sad demise.

If memory serves me, a young jock name of Alan  O’Keefe had a great understanding of the old boy when O’Keefe was attached to Venetia’s stable. The two of ’em had a couple of great victories.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.