The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sir Montague

Home Forums Horse Racing Sir Montague

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

I did mean to ask this during York week but can anyone dig out his career details? I know he was lightly raced and won the Ebor but not sure what happerned afterwards – vague memory of him being touted as a St Leger candidate but not sure whether he actually ran in the race.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Sir Montagu – no "e" – was a chesnut son of Connaught. He ran twice at two, finishing 9th of 19 first time out in the Convivial Maiden at the 1975 Ebor Meeting over 6f and 4th of 13 over 7f in an Ascot "maidens at closing" over 7f in October.

The following year he ran 6th of 19 first time out in an 11f maiden at the Newbury Spring meeting then went off favourite for a 10f event at Lingfield on Derby Trial day but was beaten a neck into second by Leventis (Willie Carson/Clive Brittain) with the third twenty lengths away. He broke his duck next time out at Sandown on June 1, winning a 10f maiden by six lengths as 5/4 fav. He then went off at odds-on for a Newbury handicap nine days later but was beaten three lengths into second by Caribbean (Willie Carson/Dick Hern). On June 23, Sir Montagu won the 12f Bibury Cup handicap at Salisbury by three lengths as 5/6 fav and followed this up with a six length win at 11/4 in a 12f Ascot handicap the day before the King George in July. Willie Carson rode him there for the first time, Brian Taylor having had the mount previously. Taylor was back on the horse at Glorious Goodwood and he won the 12f handicap for three-year-olds by five lengths at 8/11 under a 4lb penalty.

Then followed his Ebor romp under 8-0, including a 7lb penalty. Ridden by Carson as Taylor couldn’t do the weight, he went off 11/4 fav and won by eight lengths from Alverton, Shangamuzo and Move Off. Alverton was the only one of those who wasn’t a three-year-old, by the way. The Form Book comment for Sir Montagu in the Ebor was as follows: "looked well, always going well, second straight, led three and a half furlongs out, soon clear, very easily."

He didn’t run in the Leger. Instead, he went for the French equivalent, the Prix Royal-Oak over 15.5f and finished a creditable four lengths 2nd of 7 to a real top-notcher in Exceller, a Nelson Bunker Hunt horse trained by Francois Mathet.

Sir Montagu didn’t run again as far as I’m aware.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

Thanks, he was busier than I thought. I don’t remember him as a stallion so I wonder if he was gelded or met with an accident as you would have expected him to have a Cup campaign at four?

Peter Poston's GhostPeter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 546

Then followed his Ebor romp under 8-0, including a 7lb penalty. Ridden by Carson as Taylor couldn’t do the weight, he went off 11/4 fav and won by eight lengths from Alverton, Shangamuzo and Move Off

Was only thinking the other day of Move Off as the "Tan, Red Sleeves" of the Barker family made an appearance at the Ebor Meeting this year and brought back some memories.

Nice horse that won a few big handicaps in the mid-70’s.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Was only thinking the other day of Move Off as the "Tan, Red Sleeves" of the Barker family made an appearance at the Ebor Meeting this year and brought back some memories.

Nice horse that won a few big handicaps in the mid-70’s.

A very nice horse indeed, PPG, if a touch on the small side. He actually won the Ebor itself the following year, 1977, getting up ("led last stride") by a short-head from Lighter who was disqualified for causing interference and placed third. Jimmy Bleasdale rode Move Off that day, claiming 5lbs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.