The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sir Henry RIP

Home Forums Horse Racing Sir Henry RIP

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I’m sure I can’t add much more to what’s already said, but as somebody fighting a similar battle, he was an inspiration and his courage in recent years gave me and many other great strength and determination to keep going too. My thoughts go out to his wife, children and those very close to him.

I wish you all the very best sir.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Likewise Hammy! I haven’t stopped for two days to be honest. Some lovely memories there mate. I know you were as much a fan as me.

There are still some lovely horses at Warren Place so I hope that his legacy can live on.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I’m sure I can’t add much more to what’s already said, but as somebody fighting a similar battle, he was an inspiration and his courage in recent years gave me and many other great strength and determination to keep going too. My thoughts go out to his wife, children and those very close to him.

I too hope that everything works out well for you . God bless.

• Total Posts 20

Thank you, oh and I’m not a sir, I work for a living ;)

• Total Posts 20

I too hope that everything works out well for you . God bless.

Thank you too.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Bollocks to the big C. Chin up Razor, all the best.

• Total Posts 20

Anyway, it’s not really about me, it’s about the great man and his amazing career.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Hammy; did your friend Nobby ride Madame Dubois by any chance? It’s just that I wrote to the girl that looked after her and she told me that she had been looked after by someone that had had a heart attack and they always felt he was looking out for her [she then went on to win in France].

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Most moving wonderful words on this thread, particularly from Joni and Hammy. Sir Henry must have touched and altered many of our lives.

I got a school freind’s father to put my very first flat racing bet on a filly called Fairy Footsteps, she won the 1981 1000 Guineas. Then in 1985 my first ante-post flat racing bet was also in the 1000 Guineas. When I watch it back now – I still don’t believe Oh So Sharp got up! What a thrill! What a filly!

Henry won the 1984 Lancashire Oaks with one I had high regard, Sandy Island by Mill Reef out of Sayonara. Believe it was on Guineas day that Sayonara’s son (by Mill Reef’s son Shirley Heights) won the 1985 Heathorn Stakes. It was (as I remember) according to the Sporting Life’s Stop Watch column – a fast time. Times fascinated me and as a result backed Slip Anchor for Epsom a few days before running away with the Lingfield Trial… And with winnings bought my first Timeform book.

In 1987 came another first for me, my first winning £100 bet – in Reference Point’s Derby.

Yes, my Timeform addiction and now profession is all the fault of Henry Cecil.
    Many thanks Sir.

Value Is Everything
    Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

Best wishes to you.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

Hammy; did your friend Nobby ride Madame Dubois by any chance? It’s just that I wrote to the girl that looked after her and she told me that she had been looked after by someone that had had a heart attack and they always felt he was looking out for her [she then went on to win in France].

That name doesn’t ring a bell Moe, but he did ‘do’ Dimminuendo.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

The lad who looked after her as a two year old died in February 1990; Alison then looked after her as a three year old. She said he died of a heart attack whilst riding out. I used to get very emotional seeing her run after hearing that.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

The lad who looked after her as a two year old died in February 1990; Alison then looked after her as a three year old. She said he died of a heart attack whilst riding out. I used to get very emotional seeing her run after hearing that.

It was 1990 or 1991 Moe, so it could well be, my memory fails me. His grave is not too far from my mother’s. I’ll have a look when I next visit the cemetery or ask his son if the horse’s name rings a bell.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I think it’s too much of a coincidence for it not to be him, Hammy. If you do speak to his son tell him that someone he’s never met has a little place in their heart for his dad. When I received the letter from Alison I’d only just got back into racing and I didn’t really know much about the stable [or trainer] that she worked for; it was only later that things fell into place. I wrote to her because I saw the horse win on the telly and there was something about it that touched my heart in some way; when she wrote back and told me the background to it it made sense and it was wonderful when she went on to win in France. I was never a great follower of Henry Cecil and have to be honest and say that seeing him so ill over the past couple of years has been hard viewing, but I feel pretty choked this week and the S.O. has left me a couple of newspaper articles to read which I haven’t, as yet, plucked up the courage to read. With his patron seeling up as well it’s the end of an era; the closing of a door and it’s hard to feel anything other than incredibly sad.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

I think you are right Moe. I’ve just discovered this in trying to check the dates. Go to page 182 and have a read.

http://www.soapboxcommunications.co.uk/ … _PRINT.pdf

BTW It appears to be Brough’s book freely available online. :shock:

greektown
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

I knew Nobby ,Hammy. If it’s the same one anyway. He used to do a horse called " Hello Gorgeous ". I didn’t know him well but we met a few times . I have an idea he had worked at Willie Stephenson’s at Royston where I was apprenticed.
    A nice lad , it’s nice that he’s remembered.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

I knew Nobby ,Hammy. If it’s the same one anyway. He used to do a horse called " Hello Gorgeous ". I didn’t know him well but we met a few times . I have an idea he had worked at Willie Stephenson’s at Royston where I was apprenticed.
    A nice lad , it’s nice that he’s remembered.

They definitely lived in Royston for a spell mate (One of the older brothers still lives in nearby Letchworth.) The eldest son is a trainer in Gunton in Australia.

All this has made me think a lot about the high old times we had up at Warren Place. Some of my fondest memories.

I remember getting my ear chewed by Julie one evening when she caught me photographing a great two year old of Sir Henry’s in the box in the main yard. :D (Anyone remember Scaramanga?)

It was a much less secure place in those days. We pretty much wandered about as we pleased outside of stable hours.

I’ve got some cracking pictures of Paddy Rudkin holding Indian Skimmer somewhere. I think he got her out of the box just so I could get some snaps.

We used to go ratting in the midden with our ferrets and collect mice from the indoor ride for my mate’s pet Tawny Owl. Or play footie out in the paddock with the various kids who lived up there. Even Noel and katie used to turn up and cheek us occasionally.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 130 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.