The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Silly error for a spokesperson?

Home Forums Horse Racing Silly error for a spokesperson?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Kate Miller, spokeswoman for William Hill, said: “With less than three weeks to go until Boxing Day, the racing world is now feverishly waiting to find out if Kauto Star will line-up at Kempton. With the score now set at one apiece between him and Long Run it’ll be a true showdown on Boxing Day.

Taken from sportinglife.com

Please check your facts before making a statement. :roll:

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1598

I usually switch over whenever she pops up on my television.

Never offers anything of note and one would have to be extremely naive to assume that she’s in this position because she’s been in love with the game since she was a child and that her shortcomings are overlooked because of the effort she makes.

Lone Wolf
    • Total Posts 614

Ghastly. Absolutely ghastly. Solitary confinement for that woman isn’t good enough.

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

I wonder if poor Kate just meant it was one a piece regarding the last 2 winners of The King George! :oops: Please dont lambast me Girls! :oops:

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

An almost noble defence KF but given that Kauto Star has won 4 renewals it would be even less accurate. Whatever she meant, she has either got it wrong or made an ambigious statement, neither of which are good attributes in her role.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28423

I don’t think it has anything to do with the number of King Georges won. Suspect she was talking about the score between the two in head to heads. Of course she’s wrong, it’s two one to Long Run; having had Kauto behind in both King George and Gold Cup. Suppose she forgot one of those. Sportinglife.com I believe is quoting a conversation on ATR. We all come up with daft statements from time to time. It’s hardly a sackable offence. Seems to me Kate knows more about racing than one or two of the other reps.

Speaking of which, anyone know what’s happened to another spokesperson for bookmakers who does/did know his stuff, Stan James’ Neil Morrice?

Value Is Everything
    Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1293

Far be it from me to generally defend Kingfisher recently, but I agree with him.
    I think that she was merely hypeing it up, that they had each won a race, beating the other, forgetting that it was actually 2 :1 including the Gold Cup.

Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 814

Surely the Betfair Chase makes it 2 all?

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28423

Surely the Betfair Chase makes it 2 all?

When else has Kauto Star beaten Long Run Purwell?

Value Is Everything
    rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

one would have to be extremely naive to assume that she’s in this position because she’s been in love with the game since she was a child.

Her dad was an on-course bookmaker of some renown, so that comment is a tad wide of the mark, for all this particular message was off-kilter.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Speaking of which, anyone know what’s happened to another spokesperson for bookmakers who does/did know his stuff, Stan James’ Neil Morrice?

He’s still around Ginge, I last saw him a couple of weeks ago and I wouldn’t be surprised if he pops up at Huntingdon tomorrow.

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1598

one would have to be extremely naive to assume that she’s in this position because she’s been in love with the game since she was a child.

Her dad was an on-course bookmaker of some renown, so that comment is a tad wide of the mark, for all this particular message was off-kilter.

I was talking about nepotism :roll:

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

In which case, you are indeed wide of the mark. Rampant sexism, perhaps, but hardly nepotism.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

He’s still around Ginge, I last saw him a couple of weeks ago and I wouldn’t be surprised if he pops up at Huntingdon tomorrow.

He also popped up several times during RUK’s coverage of Hennessy day – presumably in that Stan James role, though I had the sound off during those bits.

Whether by design or otherwise, his Live Reporter work for the

has reduced to virtually nought in the last year or two. He did assume those duties once again for at least one Wolverhampton Saturday evening meeting during November, however.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1598

In which case, you are indeed wide of the mark. Rampant sexism, perhaps, but hardly nepotism.

If daddy didn’t curry favour then she certainly didn’t acquire her job on merit as the average racegoer would be much more qualified hype the sport than her.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I think Kate usually does a very good job and having spent time with her I do know she loves and understands the game.

I know that when being interviewed on ATR it is easy to make silly mistakes – I said a couple of things wrong when on there on Tuesday – that you’d not make when able to collect your thoughts or had the formbook to hand.

Neil may be at Huntington but I’d put more money on him being in Hong Kong for the Sha Tin races on Sunday as that is his favourite trip of the year.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

I may have done her a disservice as I thought it was a specific PR interview. However, as her job is PR then you should be able to handle whatever an interviwer throws at you. From my point of view it is hard enough for women to gain respect in the industry and such errors sets our cause back as shown by some of the reaction on this thread.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.