The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Siberion

Home Forums Memorials Siberion

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rich_ie
    • Total Posts 87

Siberion sadly broke his near fore just after landing over the 4th last in the 6.35 at Roscommon tonight. RIP

In better news from the same race, Realta Rathcabhain who lay down for a long time after falling at the second last and who also had screens up around him, eventually got up and walked away ok.

AngloGermanAngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

This news has just made this possibly the worst day I have ever known in racing. A few hours after hearing that we had lost our star of the future Thumbs Up in what can only be described as a horrendous incident in a lake race at Quakenbrueck, the horse that really started things off for Christian and Stall Jenny (Flippers owner) has now lost his life.

As with Flipper, Siberion started off on the flat with Mario Hofer, winning the Slovakian Derby in 2004. He was subsequently sent to Christian for a hurdling campaign where he won 3 of his first 4 including a Group 2 hurdle at Milan. After picking up an injury that saw him miss the whole of 2005, Siberion took a while to get going in 2006, but second place in the Merano Champion Hurdle proved he was back to his best. He then went chasing, picking up a Listed chase at Milan before finishing seocnd in the Group 3 Premio Prato to the brlliant Royal Mougins, giving the winner 3kg and only going down by a length. It wa at this point that Christian decided to try his luck in the UK, so he was sent to Plumpton in November 2006. He was gonig well but came down 3 out. Not to be outdone, Christian sent Siberion back there the following month, and as before, Tom Scudamore rode. This time there were no mistakes and Siberion came home clear of Afrad and Swing Bill. Although looking at the 2007 Arkle Chase as a possibility, the owner was not so keen having seen Flipper struggle at Cheltenham the previous year. Therefore, Siberion bypassed Cheltenham, but by then Christian had received several offers for him, with Tony Martins being the best so off he went.

I kept a close eye on his progress in Ireland, but apart from a win and 4th in a Grade 1 chase, he never scaled the heights he had on the European mainland. I always though he could have won the Queen Mother, and when you realise that he was rated very similar to Flipper both on the flat an over hurdles, maybe if things had gone his way, he could have been a bit of a superstar.

Ten PlusTen Plus
    • Total Posts 812

AngloGerman – is the Thumbs Up you referred to the grey gelding 2005 Intikhab/Exclusive Approval … and what is a "lake" race please? Very sad to hear of any horrendous accident.

rich_ie
    • Total Posts 87

AngloGerman thanks for that info about Siberion. I was looking through his form before the race and for a 10yo he was fairly lightly raced which suggested to me he might have been injury prone. There were a number of lengthy lay offs between races. He was a beautiful looking grey and was running a good race when the accident happened. I don’t know why, but it always seems worse when it’s a grey, at least for me. About the only thing I can say is that the vet was on hand very quickly so he wouldn’t have suffered for long.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.