The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Shortest Odds

Home Forums Horse Racing Shortest Odds

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Woyd
    • Total Posts 32

What is the shortest odds that you have ever seen in horse racing?

The 6.40 at Hamilton sees Mister Angry taking on Kerolad in a 1 miler. Mister Angry has double the rating of kerolad, and is sure to be a very short price. Its odds seem to be forecasted at 1/20

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

I remember Dancing Brave being such a certainty once that no odds were returned on him (unless my memory is playing tricks I was very young at the time).

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

I remember VICTORY SPIN winning at Beverly around ten years ago at official returned SP of 1/66. At the time it caused a few column inches in the press as the shortest priced winner ever.

Of course, in this, the modern era, there are a greater number of very short priced favfourites since the abolition of on-course betting tax.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Ormonde (he of Group 3 at Chester fame) won the Champion Stakes in 1886 at odds of 1-100 (only 3 ran)

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I remember Dancing Brave being such a certainty once that no odds were returned on him (unless my memory is playing tricks I was very young at the time).

Not sure that’s true, but in the days of on course betting tax, there were plenty of occasions when no SP could be returned for mathematical reasons (an SP of 1/10 or shorter would give zero profit after tax and bets would therefore be void in principle).

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

1/66 was a show at some point when I saw Potentate win a 4 runner novices chase at Haydock around 2001, he was up against Ebin Al Habeeb and two Ted Caine horses (off my head I think they were Triona’s Hope and Cregg Rose).

There was no show dividend returned on a horse in the US in the last 18 months or so due to nobody staking any money on it

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

1.01 :?:

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Lester Piggott rode a 10,000 to 1 on shot to victory in America.

Beat that ! :lol:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Italy, surely. The horse was Dragon Blood.

The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Not sure that’s true, but in the days of on course betting tax, there were plenty of occasions when no SP could be returned for mathematical reasons (an SP of 1/10 or shorter would give zero profit after tax and bets would therefore be void in principle).

Ian, you are quite right,the legend himself

Dancing Brave

ran in the
    "Select Stakes" at Goodwood as a prep for the 86 Arc,he opened at 1/8 but was backed at the price,he then went 1/10,which after tax in those days meant you could not win,so the official result showed "No market was returned for the race" he also broke the course record in beating Luca Cumani"s Ozopulmin by 10l, for the record Dancing Braves career SP"s returned as;- 4/6, Sandown Maiden, 4/9,Soham stakes 11/8,Craven stakes,15/8,2000gns, 2/1,Derby, 4/9,Eclipse, 6/4, King george,No SP,Select Stakes, 11/10, Arc, 4/9 Breeders cup!

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

OK then, hands up who dumped their load (so to speak) into the Tote win pool to steal the shrewd twenties-on guaranteed?

Mounty??

Mike

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I had the runner-up :lol:

sharpas
    • Total Posts 10

Ajax, after 17 successive victories, was beaten in the Chipping Norton Stakes at Randwick in the late 1930’s at 1-40, in a three horse field. Spear Chief won the event.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Italy, surely. The horse was Dragon Blood.

You’re probably right –
    I seem to always get my Italys and Americas mixed up. :D

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.