The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

SHERGAR CUP

Home Forums Horse Racing SHERGAR CUP

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3327

Nobody ‘selects’ the horses – these races go through the normal entry and declaration process, although entry is free.

As for the costs, I’d guess Ascot and the sponsors cover those – which Ascot can well afford with gate money from a 28,000 crowd.

For whose benefit – the connections of the runners who all get prize money, the crowd, the TV audience (I preferred it to the cricket yesterday!).

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

What? No welfare dependency? No empty stands? No levy board-funded eighth race selling handicap? Zero jockeys in attendance with convictions for having to subsidise their official incomes via mates on betfair? Going stick readings above 9 allowed through? Not a single betting shop wagering opportunity from a quarter after four bells?

You’re not telling me this is in some way viable?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I think it’s a farcical concept – I couldn’t give a monkey’s left nut what part of the world the jockeys come from and the logic in awarding four points for a non-runner seems somewhat skewed – but who decides which jockeys will take part and who decides which horses they will ride? When did a trainer selecting the best jockey for their horse come second to marketing a gimmick?

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6221

Equitrack

It may not be a concept you like but a description of ‘farcical’ is way over the top. Each trainer knows the conditions of the races and allocation of jockeys when they enter, so it’s not as if they are going blindfold.

The event gets people through the turnstiles and interested in the sport. As long as that happens then at least the sport has a chance of moving forward.

As a group of enthusiats we can easily be accused of being insular. Sometimes the sport has to take a step back and work out how it can market itself. As far as I can see the Shergar Cup is as good as any.

If you don’t like it then you don’t have to go to it, you don’t have to watch and you don’t have to bet on it.

Rob

deltaman
    • Total Posts 190

It’s been and gone FFS…..Move-On!

ricky lake
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2999

Rob , agree , you can just ignore it like I do , but still I think 28000 people is damn good , and hopefully a FEW will come back for more

like it or not this gig gets loads of folks through the doors , so it deserves credit for that

cheers

Ricky

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6221

deltaman

We are discussing an event that is being used to market the sport and hopefully gain a bigger audience. It will happen again next year, some will like some won’t. If your comments are the best you have to offer to this debate then please ignore the thread.

Rob

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’ll refrain from holding an opinion in future, Rob.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3137

I’ve no problem with the event, it’s a success as far as I can see. I can even accept reserves up to 45 mins before the off as long as it’s a one off. It’s good to see jockeys from elsewhere but I think they should be careful not to let the quality drop, no Frankie, Moore, Murtagh and Spencer was a negative this year and the overseas jockeys could have been better.
    I wonder, especially with the BBC ceasing covering the event it would be worth switching it to Sunday when it would be the main meeting in Britain and not competing with big races at Newmarket & Haydock, too much mediocrity on a Sunday in Britain.

deltaman
    • Total Posts 190

deltamanWe are discussing an event that is being used to market the sport and hopefully gain a bigger audience. It will happen again next year, some will like some won’t. If your comments are the best you have to offer to this debate then please ignore the thread.Rob

Point taken I will add more positive comments Next Year!!

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6221

I’ll refrain from holding an opinion in future, Rob.

You can do as you wish. I just thought your description of a ‘farcical concept’ was over the top, but it’s only an opinion.

Rob

phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

The Shergar Cup leaves me totally cold, it may be good for racing and gets new people into the sport, but it just bores me senseless.

Saying that I wonder what Channel 4 will add to the meeting, if as likely they take over coverage from the BBC next year. I can see Thommo bouncing around everywhere telling people its his favourite meeting of the year, John McCririck will be right in his element and they might even get Nick Luck to raise a smile.

Oh I can’t wait… roll on Cheltenham

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I was vehemently opposed to the Shergar Cup when it was mooted and one of its most vocal critics.

I am happy to admit I was wrong. Yes it Is not an ideal betting prospect, yet betting is not compulsory.

It does get a big gate, many of whom are first time racegoers and some of them will come back.

It is a novelty event, a fun event and it should be treated as such. We have 1,500 odd meetings as year – having one such fixture is not going to kill anybody.

There will be a change to the format in 2010:-

"The Shergar Cup is an event that needs to evolve with changes over the years, and in 2010, while maintaining the traditional international flavour of the occasion, they’ll be an all girl team and also one for veteran jockeys."

[/color:1qpxhj39]

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

The Shergar Cup leaves me totally cold, it may be good for racing and gets new people into the sport, but it just bores me senseless.

Saying that I wonder what Channel 4 will add to the meeting, if as likely they take over coverage from the BBC next year. I can see Thommo bouncing around everywhere telling people its his favourite meeting of the year, John McCririck will be right in his element and they might even get Nick Luck to raise a smile.

Oh I can’t wait… roll on Cheltenham

Thought the BBC’s coverage was not particularly good this year. Just didn’t seem sharp enough and once again the coverage was split between BBC1 and 2 which is a bit annoying as you get a repeat of the trailers at the beginning of programme on both channels. The Parrot and Winstanley show was a pointless exercise and I see what people mean about Jim McGrath’s commentary, he missed several things happening that others just don’t including the much maligned Thommo.

The BBC’s best racing presenter was doing the Rugby League, which shows how highly the Beeb rated the meeting.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Can we not put away our trilbies, bowler hats and blinkers for one day in the year?

Like Paul, I was initially dubious, contemptuous even, of the concept, but after a few teething troubles, the event is now firmly established as a successful fun introduction to the sport to outsiders, and I find myself being won over.

You wouldn’t want a Shergar Cup every week, but what it does, it does very well. I hope it continues to grow in popularity, the proposed changes for next year look like good ones to me.

A suggestion from me: why not stage an extra race for veteran horses, say, a 5 1/2 furlong sprint handicap for horses aged 9 or over (obviously it would have to be a lower grade event than the others)? They might even get SAGA to sponsor it.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Nice debate but my fundamental questions still not answered.
    But, can anyone tell me who funded this meeting?
    Were jocks on normal riding fees?
    Did jocks get appearance money?
    Were jocks expenses paid and by whom?

Happy

Funding will be by Ascot and the sponsors.

Cannot comment on the riding fees but I believe the sponsors assist the overseas riders with travel and accomodation, presumably the home riders would be looked after as well.

There is also a generous deal for stable staff:-

"The stable staff will once again benefit from special prizes worth over £5,000, more than on any other raceday in Britain. There is a £200 prize for the groom in charge of the best turned out horse in every race, while the winning lad or lass in each race will receive £200 plus a free entry (worth over £80) into the Dubai Duty Free Finest Surprise Draw to win a luxury car. In addition, £100 will be given to the lad or lass leading up the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th horses (i.e. the other points scorers) in every race. "

[/color:6ncvlmr6]

To answer the other question raised by Equitrack as to how the jockeys are allocated – here are the rules.

"The team selection process will take place in 2 stages at London’s Ritz Hotel on Thursday, August 6. Unlike in previous years, it will be done internally and not as part of a press conference. A BHA official will be present to oversee it.

Stage One

Jim McGrath (BBC TV/ATR, ROW), James Willoughby (Racing Post, IRE), Jason Weaver (At The Races, GB) and Kieran Packman (Timeform, EUR) will act as team selectors. In the first four races, the selectors will pick alternately, but in races 5 and 6, in order to ensure a fair allocation of horses to each team, the picking order will be varied.

Stage Two

There will be a random draw of the jockeys’ names. The order in which they are drawn will determine which horses they ride, according to a set formula designed to give each jockey a balanced book of rides. If a jockey is unable to make the weight on one of his rides, he may be switched with one of his team-mates in that race."

[/color:6ncvlmr6]

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Didn’t the Aga Khan originally sponsor this, when it was held at Goodwood? (Hence the name.)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.