The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Scudamore on West Approach

Home Forums Horse Racing Scudamore on West Approach

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2044

Was Tom Scu trying to get West Approach to finish last? If he wasn’t then I’m mystified as to why he tried to get his mount to jump every fence as slow as the horse possibly could.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1882

Not sure Scudamore could have done much about that – the horse is known to be an awkward sort and he seems to have brought that into his jumping technique too.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2044

I didn’t have a bet so by no means am I talking out of my pocket, I was just watching the race waiting for Scu to actually see a stride or push him into one of the fences but he never did.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6123

WA showed little confidence at his fences from the start and trying to drive a horse like that into one risks a refusal or a fall.

WA never looked happy even when not jumping. It could be because he was nervy, wasn’t enjoying the ground or couldn’t get into a rhythm. Wouldn’t be too surprised either if something physical came to light.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3708

Maybe it’s in the family. His half-brother isn’t a natural chaser either.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3393

Hes long been an overated horse since that one ruby masterclass behind ukwimh

Him and ballyoptic are both overrated, the outcome was not a surprise to me tbh

Hes just not that good, looks to me a better hurdler than chaser though

Participant
    • Total Posts 6123

Hes long been an overated horse since that one ruby masterclass behind ukwimh

Him and ballyoptic are both overrated, the outcome was not a surprise to me tbh

Hes just not that good, looks to me a better hurdler than chaser though

Might not be too far out with that assessment. He’s always promised without looking likely to start winning regularly

TommyNag
    Participant
    • Total Posts 63

I am yet to be convinced that 3 miles is the right distance for him. Doesn’t seem to have ever gotten it. That run finishing 3rd to UKWIMH was a strange race and really he was never ridden to try and win, was ridden for a place.

I would still back him over 2’4/2’5 but never any further.

That all being said, was never traveling today, may have hated the going

Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

Speaking of jockeys …
    I can’t recall Geraghty having such a poor strike rate for a long time and it’s not just the horses. He’s lacking confidence over the obstacles

Participant
    • Total Posts 6123

Geraghty’s strike rate from 2008 until 2014 (calendar years) when riding for NJH was 20.47

Calendar 2015 until now (he took over from AP in summer 2015) SR is 19.56

His SR so far this season – from August – is 19.39

Since Oct 1st it’s 20.27

Since Nov 1st it’s 15.63 . You might be onto something.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

He has ridden two winners in about twenty five rides. Both favs in small field races.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6123

5 from 32 this month (till midnight yesterday). Beaten on 2 odds on shots

Participant
    • Total Posts 31534

Was a great fan of Barry, used to be my favourite jockey over fences – even ahead of AP and Ruby. But has had a few falls and injuries of late and seems to me doesn’t have as much confidence/ability in that sphere nowadays. Although imo AP wasn’t as good after taking the JP job either and Ruby isn’t as good as he was. Ruby and Barry are still bloody good compared to most, but personally I’d put Richard Johnson ahead of all of them these days. That said, so many punters back top jockeys just because of who they are, none are better than their following/reputation.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

I think JP’s own string is weaker than at any other point during the last decade or so. Maybe why he’s invested so much recently in well regarded mares.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.