The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Scorpion backers deserved what they got ?

Home Forums Horse Racing Scorpion backers deserved what they got ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Regardless wether Scorpion was doing his best, a fully fledged Dylan Thomas would have him breakfast anyday, so anyone that backed Scorpion deserved to do their dough. Couldn’t belive that Dylan Thomas was odds against so I lumped on at 11/8 just missed 6/4.

How good is "Manduro"

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Dylan Thomas was too short for me I don’t play at those sort of prices so I didn’t have a bet but I thought he would have to get injured mid race to lose to that standard of opposition.

People take a view though those that backed Scorpion were perfectly entitled to do so.

Manduro is a very good horse but probably will be a bit better over ten furlongs as opposed to twelve. Dylan Thomas looks equally as good at either trip.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Madman why did you think it necessary to start a new thread with this post?

Surely it would have fitted nicely into the "pacemaker" thread!

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Madman why did you think it necessary to start a new thread with this post?

Surely it would have fitted nicely into the "pacemaker" thread!

Actually seabird thats what I meant to do, hit the wrong button :roll:

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Been there, done that…………sympathies. 8)

Colin

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I have said it before on here that I don’t think Scorpion will win another race, the hoss is a head case.

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Maybe people like me who backed him at 12-1 felt he represented value, given that Dylan Thomas may not have run to his best on testing ground? Its easy to aftertime why not post in the lays and selections so we can see how you measure up if your that confident about what people should be backing?

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

12/1 is a good price for a nutter, I thought he was around 3/1.

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

12-1 last weekend, but Madman Marx seems to be suggesting you would be mad to back Scorpion at any price.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

If Scorpion is campaigned correctly, he will win more races this year. Although he’s highly strung, it doesn;t actually prevent him showing his best on the track, see the Coronation Cup for that. Races like the Lonsdale and Irish Leger should be on his agenda for later in the year imo.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Canadian International could be another target for him.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

12-1 last weekend, but Madman Marx seems to be suggesting you would be mad to back Scorpion at any price.

Actually quiet like "MADMAN MARX"

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

Dylan Thomas was too short for me I don’t play at those sort of prices so I didn’t have a bet but I thought he would have to get injured mid race to lose to that standard of opposition.

I’ve never understood why there still exists a stigma against backing favourites, as if doing so is an admittance of a lack of imagination, a reason for shame; its a mindset which is understandable within Lucky 15 punters dreaming of the big one but not for serious-minded backers… if Dylan Thomas would have to get injured mid race to lose, surely 6/4 was excellent value? … each to his own, I suppose.

I thought Dylan Thomas would win because I’ve always thought he’s a 12f horse. Ever since he beat Ouija Board over 10f, I thought he didn’t look comfortable over the distance – after all, Ouija Board cruised by him and would have won easily but for an overconfident ride – and since then he’s won a few poor races over the trip, and been beaten by Notnowcato and Manduro in disappointing circumstances (outbattled by Notnowcato, and should have got closer to Manduro). I’m surprised nobody mentioned in all of the previews that he was returning to the trip of his greatest performance for the first time since…

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

I’ve never understood why there still exists a stigma against backing favourites, as if doing so is an admittance of a lack of imagination, a reason for shame; its a mindset which is understandable within Lucky 15 punters dreaming of the big one but not for serious-minded backers… if Dylan Thomas would have to get injured mid race to lose, surely 6/4 was excellent value? … each to his own, I suppose.

I thought Dylan Thomas would win because I’ve always thought he’s a 12f horse. Ever since he beat Ouija Board over 10f, I thought he didn’t look comfortable over the distance – after all, Ouija Board cruised by him and would have won easily but for an overconfident ride – and since then he’s won a few poor races over the trip, and been beaten by Notnowcato and Manduro in disappointing circumstances (outbattled by Notnowcato, and should have got closer to Manduro). I’m surprised nobody mentioned in all of the previews that he was returning to the trip of his greatest performance for the first time since…

Will they meet at Leopardstown ? both seem to be fairly ok regards trip,???

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Its nothing to do with immagination its to do with balancing your books and making the profit you want to make at the end of your betting year. 6/4 shots and the like are a shortcut to the workhouse they are too much of a liability. If you are going to bet at that price you have to bet big in relation to your average stake and one defeat can do more damage than is good for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.