The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

sandown park

Home Forums Horse Racing sandown park

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

while the likes of ascot and cheltenham have upped their jumps prize money this season sandown seems to have cut theirs.<br>this saturdays agfa diamond chase for example was worth 50,000 now its only 40,000.<br>also the crowds at sandown dont seem that big when you consider how close it is to london

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

One of my favourite racecourses, viewing superb but quality of racing in decline for about 5 years. the Saturday November card is awful and the supporting races on big days EG Tingle Creek,Imperial cup are not up to much. They started charging £5 for the car park which is a ploughed field in winter about 2 years ago.<br>I only go about twice a year now and it used be about 10 times

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

They wanted about £25 to get into members at the last meeting – the swines!<br>

(Edited by Mounty at 6:57 am on Feb. 1, 2007)

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

I went to one of the Saturday flat cards in the summer and was surprised at how poor the facilities were. The grandstand resembled a soulless airport departure lounge and housed stalls and shops selling overpriced sandwiches and tat. It also needed a lick of paint.<br>The racing was very ordinary and admission to members was around £20. I street parked nearby thus avoiding the £5 charge in the car park.<br>I wouldn’t rush to return.

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Only been there a couple of times with horses and it comes well down my list on tracks that i have been too, to be honest.

It isn’t bad, by any means but its one of the tracks where there is far too much of a drinking culture.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I go all the time, but it has started to look very tatty recently. It should be one of the best courses around but i just sense that the new management seem to be bereft of ideas. This should be a truely premier course

Scrapping the May bank holiday meeting was appalling too.

Much knocked Kempton is a far smarter place to visit. Facilities there are very good

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

I have Sandown on my list of jumps tracks still to get to – the revelation about car parking fees is not at all welcome news, having been similarly fleeced on my visit to Ascot before Christmas.

I remember thinking that November card was very poor indeed when I watched it on RUK – three-runner 3m chases are surely the preserve of late-season men’s open point-to-point races on brick-hard ground in Herefordshire or Cornwall, not Grade 1 or 2 tracks comfortably into the autumn.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 10:19 pm on Feb. 2, 2007)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.