The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ryan Moore

Home Forums Horse Racing Ryan Moore

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    TROY111
    Participant
    • Total Posts 280

Ryan Moore on the wrong horse again.
    What must be going through Ryans mind when he hears Dettori letting the man the moon and his dog know another group 1. from his scraps. Timeform had Mother Earth down as a big player 10/1.Santa Barbara One Ruler excellent gallop reports, the market gambles show. ??

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

And the betting in the 2000 Guineas suggested Moore was on the wrong one there as well.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Does Ryan Moore get to choose who he rides?

There is no such thing as a Ballydoyle “second string” in these big races – apart from the occasional pacemaker obviously out of its depth anyway they are all trying for their lives.

The fact they don’t always finish in market order is a sign of integrity, not otherwise.

I think Moore is riding with renewed confidence this season.

But it’s clear that, contrary to some gossip, they don’t race them Flat out at home and great work on the bridle isn’t the same as the same thing off it on the racecourse.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

TROY111
    Participant
    • Total Posts 280

Lots of unanswered questions the clues to each race are in the form book, or are they ?

Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

…and Frankie telling ITV racing that Ryan Moore was best jockey ever (apart from himself).

AOB had already said he was expecting Santa Barbara to run green in the race..well that didn’t sound like a confidence boost for the filly.
    All the media attention was on her and Mark Chapman screaming like a strangled Banshee every time she shortened in the betting sending mug punters over a cliff :wacko:

The smoke and mirrors are back in play at Ballydoyle because the way Frankie saluted the socially distanced crowd before he had even reached the post there was no way they didn’t know she was the best filly on the day..and the placing of Ryan Moore on her back would have blown their gamble. B-)

This my own humble opinion however far fetched some may think it might be..Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Completely disagree.

There is far more money at stake in stud and paddock values than on the betting markets and for me Ballydoyle are as straight as straight can be when it comes to these big races.

Apart from obvious pacemakers, “They are ALL trying” – is the first and only rule for assessing their Group 1 runners.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

Everyone entitled to their opinion Ian and I did say that mine was a very humble one and probably far fetched but having read both of William Jones’s books you can’t blame someone for being a little cynical.
    However, I do admire their breeding operation. :rose: Jac

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

I agree with Ian

Ryan not being on a ballydoyle horse would never put me off

They are all trying

Iv had plenty of good results backing my opinion on their horses not blindly backing stable first string on jockey bookings

Same goes for mullins over the jumps

The one with the main jockey is almost always overbet meaning the 2nd string is often better value and still has a top class pilot on board normally

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

I’m not sure Mother Earth screamed guineas winner with only the 1 victory in 8 runs before the guineas although the fillies mile and the run in the US were better suggesting they were on the right track with her.
    Moore was right about Sacred not staying, she was last off the bridle but didn’t find much off it

The one who really got it all wrong was Richard Hannon not running Snow Lantern imo
    Now he has admitted he sees her as a miler perhaps the g/f going will be used as to a justification in not running her :unsure:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 82

Moore is presumably advised on what to ride by APOB as he doesnt ride work in Ballydoyle daily.
    The horses he rides may potentially be described as the percentage call, prior to the race, on what, with a long term view could ultimately become the best horse in the race, but not necessarily on the day.

In my opinion, and I have no basis for this other than it being a potential factor in a market with limited information, the arrangement above would potentially suit the specific ownership arrangement Coolmore have in place with their partners rather than the mounts Moore takes up having the highest % strike rate of their jockeys

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Last season, it looks as though Moore had no choice about always having to ride Mogul. Given how much he cost and how much Coolmore needed him to win a Group 1 to boost his commercial value as a stallion, it seems clear to me they always wanted their retained number one rider on board.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

Nathan,

The Guineas was too soon after only a maiden win for Snow Lantern, only 2 weeks.
    Still got the Irish Guineas and Coronation Stakes if they so wish.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

Appreciate all :good: those opinions and FF good judge of breeding and Ballydoyle operations.
    :good:

Ryan Moore 100% spot on with his evaluation of Sacred Nathan I backed her because I thought she was the class horse left in a very weak Guineas but Indigo Girl/Snow Lantern would have been my choices.
    I’m Interested to see if Pretty Gorgeous runs against Mother Earth sometime this season and how that works out.

Also out of interest, how would you (anyone) assess the win of Homecoming Queen back in 2012 at 25/1 ridden by Ryan Moore when Maybe who ran 3rd came into the race at 13/8 favourite undefeated in 5 starts ridden by Joseph. Both horses never won another race and retired early to stud. You couldn’t say that HQ was anything but second string

That same year, in fact the day before, Camelot won the 2000 Guineas ridden by Joseph again with Ryan Moore on a quite well fancied Power 7/1 eased and tailed off in 17th position. 3 weeks later he pops up and wins the Irish 2000 Guineas with Joseph on board again. Excuses about the ground at Newmarket when asked about his exceptional improvement but he had won on yielding ground as a 2yo in Ireland and Newmarket is always well drained because of the soil.

I think Ryan Moore put up with a lot during those days when Joseph was the go too jockey and guess he would have felt it yesterday with Frankie milking the moment as only he can.
    Jac
    :good:

TROY111
    Participant
    • Total Posts 280

Interesting F Norton on San Martino Chester Vase, pacemaker ? rides track well sets sensible sectionals and wins by 4 lengths

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

The Guineas was too soon after only a maiden win for Snow Lantern, only 2 weeks.

I don’t see that being a major issue
    she won so well, a perfect prep if anything

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, Triptych, and please note I didn’t say – nor would I ever say – you are “wrong,” merely that I completely disagree.

It’s a game of opinions.

Plenty of skulduggery in racing, but much of it is out of necessity at the sharp end as trainers and journeymen jockeys try to keep the wolf from the door.

Apart from obvious pacemakers, you won’t see a non-trier in a Group 1 – it’s below Class 3 where that sort of thing is rife.

It’s a two-tier sport in terms of integrity.

IMO!

Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

I’m fine with that Ian and yes we all have have own opinions. AOB and the whole operation are hard to fathom year after year and I understand the importances of winning the big Group races and the need for as many of their fillys as possible to have black type.

I did not agree with returning George Washington to the racetrack after he failed as a Stallion and what happened to him on the concrete hard surface in the mud at Monmouth Park broke my heart I really loved that horse and think that was the turning point when I began to question the whole operation and it’s tactics especially where certain owners were concerned.

It was refreshing to see the Jim Bolger horse win the 2000 Guineas especially as he has been so outspoken on the ongoing drugs and corruption situation.

Ryan had a nice win at the Curragh today on Broome and he’s back for the Chester Cup on Sir Lamorak but I’m definitely back here with some questions if the 33/1 chance San Martino wins or maybe it’s worth doing a combi forecast with my fancy Wirko. 😉 Jac

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.