The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Russ Garritty

Home Forums Horse Racing Russ Garritty

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Great quote from the soon-to-be-retired 41yo Russ in The Times today:

"I’ve been so lucky and lived the dream."

"The Dream" in this case appears to be hacking around Sedgfield and Hexham, freezing his nuts off in the depths of winter to land a limited amount of selling hurdles.

They really are mental aren’t they?

Definitely my hero of the week.

Mike

BurroughhillBurroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

I thought something along similar lines too. I remember him falling at Leicester a while back just in front of me at the last fence when he was winning, and you’ve never heard such colourful language! I don’t think he was ‘living the dream’ that day!

GhostofTheFellow
    • Total Posts 410

Nice guy-Had dealings with Russ in the passed good honest northern jockey and a good judge of a horse.

Not a bulls**tter<br>if a horse was no good he would be the first to jump off in the paddock and tell you,none of the usuall rubbish”made a noise” ”coughed” or ”Lost action”

He could make a good trainer.

(Edited by GhostofTheFellow at 9:29 pm on April 17, 2007)

lekha85lekha85
    Participant
    • Total Posts 330

Was told by a jock today that Russ is mad in the weighing room…in an endearing way though!

wilsonlwilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 860

Knew nothing about him on a personal basis but him being on top of one would never have put me off.

As has been said – a genuine jock and while his retirement wont make the national news he will be missed I’m sure.

Glad that somebody who has aspirations to work in an industry they love, does so without fuss or headlines (for the right or wrong reasons) and walks away with their dreams and integrity cemented .

Lee

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Not a bulls**tter

<br>

He could make a good trainer.

<br>Not entirely sure those two statements are mutually compatible.

Mike

GhostofTheFellow
    • Total Posts 410

Not all trainers are bulls**t
    ters there are some genuine honest to goodness trainers out there ”hard to believe but true”

3 i will mention and have dealt with are Allan King Donald McCain jnr and Nigel Twiston Davies

<br>But again your entitled to your opinion.

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Not all trainers are bulls**t ters there are some genuine honest to goodness trainers out there ”hard to believe but true”

3 i will mention and have dealt with are Allan King Donald McCain jnr and Nigel Twiston Davies

But again your entitled to your opinion.

<br>Yeah, but what about the Marquis de Sade, Pol Pot and Ronnie Biggs?  Admittedly they may not ALL have been trainers but even so…

You’ll have to forgive me Ghosty.  As a boy I was brought up by pygmies in the woods.  We used to sit around the camp fire at nights regaling each other with witty tales of derring-do.  The one who’s anecdote was voted the best (it was a sort-of proportional representation system involving twigs) got to eat the freshly-slaughtered hog.

I was bloody good at them and as a consequence I am:

1.  ******* fat, and..<br>2. Occasionally prone to making lighthearted comments on this board that are generally nonsense (see above).

However, I see your point.  You should write to someone.  Quite frankly, it’s political correctness gone mad.

Mike

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

What about these 3 Ghost?                                          Barney Curley, Tony Martin, Gay Kellaway,  suprised no one has mentioned those names another 3 honest to goodness ones that also spring to mind are E. Lavelle,    J Akehurst and Jim Goldie<br>”hard to believe but true”<br>

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

I would be delighted if Mr Curley or Mr Martin were to train a horse for me

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Seagull, Ghosty (as Mike has now christened him!) merely said in his post that not all trainers dealt in bovine excrement. I’m sure he knows there are a lot of dodgy ones out there. It’s well known, the latest Curley gamble last week was described by the RP as "one of his special gambles". Read "He’s a cheating old b@st@rd, but at least we can spot them and get in on it".

And Ghosty, I’m glad to hear Mr King is a fine upstanding member of the racing brethren. I’m a very big fan of his. Not many trainers can say they got it right up Michael Dickinson!

(Edited by Friggo at 9:31 pm on April 18, 2007)

GhostofTheFellow
    • Total Posts 410

I can confirm i am no fan of the following trainers

1.Sir Mark Prescott

2.Tony Martin

3.Barney Curley

They do not bring anything positive to the sport i love.

(Edited by GhostofTheFellow at 10:18 pm on April 18, 2007)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.