The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ruby Walsh staying loyal to Hedgehunter

Home Forums Horse Racing Ruby Walsh staying loyal to Hedgehunter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

Can’t see Nicholls jettisoning Walsh as his main man. Currently he has the best of both worlds; Walsh rides his best horses and he has the excellent Sam Thomas in reserve as well. Why appoint Thomas as stable jockey, meaning you lose your class act Walsh. Makes no sense. Nicholls is in a great position having two classy jockeys at his disposal.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

That’s some bee in your bonnet there Princess!

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Accordnig to RP online Ruby stays loyal to Hedgehunter, rejecting Nicholls’ attempts to lure him onto Turko.

I just wonder if this will add to the school of thought that Nicholls needs a truly retained No.1 stable jockey next season? And presuming Walsh will never reject Mullins completely, the job should therefore be offered to Sam Thomas.

Why would Nicholls want to change something that has enabled him be so successful over the last few seasons?

JohnJ.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Richard Johnson is going to ride Turko

I also wonder who, from the BBC, wil be asking Ruby why he chose the wrong horse!!

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

And I thought I’d read Andy Stewart saying he wouldn’t run if he couldn’t get a top jockey.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

It would be very interesting if Mr Pointment or indeed Turko now go and win minus Walsh. It would certainly show Ditcheat can win the top races without Ruby.

In fairness, that has already been proved this season

Also, there is nothing to say that Hedgehunter won’t finish in front of Turko anyway. The horse had a very interrupted prep for last season’s race and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him placed this year again.

Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

Any objective owner should understand why Ruby should stay loyal to a Grand National winner who he shares a great affinity with as opposed to riding a 6 year old with no chance of winning lumping 11 stone 10 around Aintree.

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

MP you did this subject at Cheltenham time. It gets monotonous

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3073

I would be surprised if any owner or trainer of note would be miffed in such a situation, as with Dunwoody on West Tip still room for a bit of sentiment in our great sport.

dubai_millennium
    • Total Posts 139

Unless you as an owner has a retained rider ie. Wylie & O’Regan, you can’t have any complaints about a stable jockey not riding your horse. PN is gonna run about 4 so someone has to lose out.

kentdougal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 277

Can’t see what the fuss is about amateurs and all sorts of weird jocks have won the National. If it’s any good it’ll win if it’s not it won’t even with JC riding

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Can’t see what the fuss is about amateurs and all sorts of weird jocks have won the National. If it’s any good it’ll win if it’s not it won’t even with JC riding

Well after fasting for 40 days and nights, He’d be able to do the weight anyway!

disraelite
    • Total Posts 26

Good one David.

And smart words from Anzum too…

Was thinking about making Hedgehunter a possible bet even before I heard Ruby was definitely on board.

At around 33 on Betfair, I think he has to be value. An incredible record on the track and with the compressed nature of the race this year, he only has to give a stone or so to the bottom weights…

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Any objective owner should understand why Ruby should stay loyal to a Grand National winner who he shares a great affinity with as opposed to riding a 6 year old with no chance of winning lumping 11 stone 10 around Aintree.

Exactly – Hedgehunter is among the likelier ones to get Ruby round in one piece of all the horses he could have plumped for, and he enters the race on the back of recording his best RPR since the 2006 National last time out. There may be sentiment attached to the decision, but it’s not at the total expense of reason.

There’s plenty of fight left in the old boy, and as disraelite points out, the compacted weights won’t do his cause any harm, either.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

MP you did this subject at Cheltenham time. It gets monotonous

…and invidious.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.