The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

RTV today

Home Forums Horse Racing RTV today

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1730

All six afternoon meetings are on RTV. And to no one’s surprise there is already a split screen for just the second and third race of the afternoon, thanks to the opener at Newbury being late off and overlapping with the first race at Navan.

Irish racing being on RTV has never worked.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27749

It is disappointing, CAS. Disappointing the two racing channels can’t come to some arrangement. Releasing lesser meetings to the other channel for one day when there’s too much on one channel… But I suppose the interests of the channel come before the interests of Racing.

value is everything
    Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 401

I cancelled RTV a few days ago

You can watch the UK races live on the Racing Post site and I’m not interested in all the waffle between races

You can also watch replays on the Life site pretty quickly after the race finishes

It’s a long time since I’ve put RTV on and just left it on for the afternoon or evening.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3073

Awful coverage, enough to put people off the game. I certainly lost interest throughout the afternoon. The start of mediocre novice hurdles from Navan sharing the screen with decent racing from Newbury, amongst many clashes.
    All British racing should be on one channel but like many things with the sport, what needs doing is never done.

Turkoman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28

Racing coverage in the UK, and in some of the other racing jurisdictions, is not designed for, or presented to, the viewer where their viewing interests take priority. It is mostly designed around the presenters, where they take center stage: not the horses, or you, as part of a viewing public.

If anyone cares to see how racing coverage should be presented, then take a look at coverage from Hong Kong. It’s second to none! It’s ALL about the horses where you rarely see any presenters, other than “Jenny” walking around the parade ring with the horses and describing each and every runner’s physical condition with remarkable detail…

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1636

As you say, Turkoman, Jenny is excellent.

Can’t we swap Chapmans with Hong Kong? :whistle:

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1730

“Awful coverage, enough to put people off the game. I certainly lost interest throughout the afternoon. The start of mediocre novice hurdles from Navan sharing the screen with decent racing from Newbury, amongst many clashes.”

The Newbury and Navan clashes were the worst, I agree.

RTV seems to have found two new presenters as well – Tom and Jess. Both terrible, they make Lightfoot and Stanley look good.

There was a meeting at Kempton where a horse broke down very badly on the home turn in what any experienced racegoer would know was a fatal injury.

As soon as the race finished, Tom just purred about how far the favourite had won by – ignoring the fact that the second favourite had been badly hampered by the stricken horse.

He eventually mentioned the incident and made some facile remark like “let’s hope everything is OK.”

A few days before, when Inisfree sustained a fatal injury at Leopardstown, Gary O’Brien was honest and professional enough to call it as it was straightaway and offered his condolences to connections.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.