The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

RSA Chase 2013

Home Forums Archive Topics RSA Chase 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Does anyone else think Rocky Creek has a massive chance in this. Travels superbly and jumps for fun, im a firm believer and already have this fellow backed @25s on the nose. We all know favourites have a terrible record in this race, and i firmly believe the price on dynaste is way to short, I can see alot of Dynaste fans being very dissapointed come RSA day.

Anyone eles a believer in Rocky Creek?!?
    :)

Yes but unfortunately connections are likely to bypass the festival in favour of Aintree unless they have a change of heart.

Crusmissile
    • Total Posts 13

Where did you get this info from mate?

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Nicholls has openly quoted it. After I took the 14s :(

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

Nicholls has openly quoted it. After I took the 14s :(

I’m in the same boat, on at 14’s, he ticks every trend for this race and is visually very likeable, praying they run him in the RSA but not confident, maybe we’ll know more after Kempton next weekend.

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

Andy Stewart said today ref Rocky ‘We’re going to go the RSA with him’.

Good news, think he’ll win tomorrow and will be into around 6/1.

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Andy Stewart said today ref Rocky ‘We’re going to go the RSA with him’.

Good news, think he’ll win tomorrow and will be into around 6/1.

Yes, could do with a bit of an ante-post boost on The RSA. I wonder if Walsh has stuck his oar in as the Mullins candidates are not living up to their billing? :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

It’s an antepost rollercoaster, not sure why I put myself through it every year! Better day today but needed it after TB’s injury yesterday.

Participant
    • Total Posts 89

Looks like a difference of opinion between Andy Stewart and Paul Nicholls. PN seems to be favouring the same Aintree route with Rocky Creek as he did with Silviniaco Conti.

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

I thought Rocky Creek was heading for the 4miler? Would be suprised if he had enough gears to beat Dynaste anyway. Not really a favourite backer but the form of Dynaste looks bombproof in my humble opinion.

Gdc1
    • Total Posts 561

Be dumbfounded if Rocky makes it to the festival, Aintree looks like his course

• Total Posts 1217

I’m inclined to agree GDC, surely prefers a flatter track. Long term National prospect?

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

Signs aren’t good for Rocky. I think he’d go well but don’t think we’ll get the chance to find out. It’s hard to argue missing Chelts has been anything but a postive for SC this year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Signs aren’t good for Rocky. I think he’d go well but don’t think we’ll get the chance to find out. It’s hard to argue missing Chelts has been anything but a postive for SC this year.

Dr Massini’s also have a bad record at Cheltenham. Lot’s of F / PU / UR form.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

At the moment everyone is guessing whether he will act round Cheltenham. Only a positive if he does.

CSkinner
    • Total Posts 6

To me it sounds like the owners and trainer aren’t agreeing in where and what to do.

Nicholls has been saying all along he isn’t convinced on cheltenham yet the owner has said he’s going the RSA.

If he doesn’t go to cheltenham this time around it’s because he’s a gold cup horse for next year. Just like s.conti swerved the festival last year.

I reckon he’ll be trying his hardest to convince owners not to go which isn’t going to plan. If it was down to nicholls he’d be out of the race already. Why is he saying this on the day he took it out of the national hunt chase but left him in the RSA?

If he needs testing ground he certainly shouldn’t be waiting for aintree in april rather than cheltenham in march.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

ROCKY CREEK AN UNLIKELY RSA CANDIDATE

The Reynoldstown Novices Chase was run in rather an odd way this year. Sectional times show the early gallop was strong over the first eight fences and then slowed down mid race before picking up again. My calculations suggest the mid-race slow down hurt the final time.

ROCKY CREEK (34-pace adjusted 37) won the race and is a strong, attractive sort. He may not have been suited by the near sprint from six out to two out. But nonetheless if he was a serious RSA Chase candidate he would surely have been able to put a lot more daylight between himself and the runner up.

The record of Reynoldstown winners in the RSA Chase does not exactly inspire confidence. If the same proportion of Reynoldstown winners have contested the RSA Chase since 1973 as they have since 1988 then only one of the last 25 horses to attempt the double has pulled it off (Alberta’s Run in 2008).

Horses that have filled second place in the Reynoldstown have a better record in the RSA Chase. Three of the last twelve to run in the big Cheltenham race have scored.

This year’s Reynoldstown runner up was HOUBLON DES OBEAUX(33-pace adjusted 36) but he’s not lost four in a row and just doesn’t look good enough for the RSA if my ratings are any guide. Nonetheless he did keep on strongly and clearly appreciated the step back up to three miles here. He’s a Grade 2 winner and Grade 1 placed too, so I’m still going to give him some thought if he lines up for the RSA.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

I should point out that the above post was taken from the nick mordin website :shock:

my person opinion on the RSA is that it’s a tricky race this year. theres clearly little juice in the favourite, in terms of price, but he has looked very classy so far even if the feltham stat is off-putting.

I think that boston bob will win. granted, he’s looked very slow at times, but this race is often won by a grinder,and you can just imagine him charging up that cheltenham hill and pulling back horses that have travelled better during the race (like dynaste.)

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.