The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

RSA 2006

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion RSA 2006

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Thinking along the exact same lines as you Trackside. Have backed both already for a place at bigger prices. Will prbably back them e/w on the day too.

Bewleys has been my long term bet for sometime now, and i would have even backed him if had gone the gold cup route. HJ had a winner the other day, which was a relief after having a dismal time of things in the last couple of months. Hopefully they arte coming into form at the right time. He will stay 3miles and more, jumps really well for a novice and like you say, will love a good gallop rather than setting his own pace, which he has had to do so far. Goes through any ground, although the suspision is that he prefers good ground.

Commerical Flyer routed a moderate field at Taunton but there has been floods of cash for him and Pipe thinks he will win this!

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Our Ben for me. I liked the way he stayed on strongly at LEO the last day, the extra 3 furlongs should suit and I reckon he’ll be there or thereabouts on the day. I’m also on Racing Demon at 12s for this race but don’t expect to be collecting on that:angry:

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

Church Island withdrawn now. But surely after Southern Vic beat him fairly easily, there was no way he could reverse the form.

Our Ben – admittedly has not shown his talrnt this year, but staying on late to The Railway Man on Feb 12th showed that he is in good form, will get the trip and is brilliant.

Gizmogirl
    • Total Posts 60

Commercial Flyer for me. Ok, lacks experience, but was hugely impressive at Taunton. He’s tough (he’ll need to be) but ‘the vibes’ are good and if anyone can get an inexperienced horse to win it, then it’s Pipe.

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Where can you back horses for the 2007/08 Gold Cup?

I’m on Commercial Flyer at 10s by the way

SirHarryLewisSirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1194

I think Our Bens form this year is similar to last year.  The race at leopardstown was reminiscent of Cheltenham last year and your right in saying that this is tailor made for him.  Has a tendency to jump a bit right also.

Darkness is also wonderful stayer and has course form.  Dont like his jumping one bit.

Commercial flyer might be the next Arkle for all we know but I would think that anyone backing him at current odds for what he has done are crazy.

SHL

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

The Listener is my second best bet of the week. Not even worried that the Strangler takes the ride.

Alchemist
    Participant
    • Total Posts 232

Not even worried that the Strangler takes the ride

Thats a bold statement DJ!

Commercial Flyer for me

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

DJ,

Outstanding horse no doubt – not worried that a fast run race on ground with "good" in the description won’t be suitable?

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

The Listener for me too, as part of an all-grey double (the other being Monet’s Garden).

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

We are told that the ground is the key to the Listener, but perhapos his best performance was on gd/sft at Windsor in what seemed like an ok time (no expert in these matters). Every chance it will be that ground next week

As for the others. Not convinced i can have Our ben as favorite on form so far. its perhaps more down to trainers reputation (and rightly so ) rather than anything else. One run over jumpos isnt enough for me, so that rules out CF and Darkesses jumping is a big concern. Any weakness there will be well exposed in this race. Bewleys Berry seems to be one of those there or thereabout types

Listener is 10’s with hills

looks big to me :cool:

SirHarryLewisSirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1194

Being by Roselier, he should like a bit of cut in the ground.  I think its a good race this and  a bit like the arkle, I would tend to avoid it as a betting proposition.

SHL

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

The Listener was very weak going up the hill at the end on New Year’s Day i thought, and will be very vulnerable to horses with great finishing speed – a la Darkness. But as has been said, Darkness’s jumping is quite poor, and it wouldn’t take much more of a mistake to see him flat on the turf.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

The Listener, for me. After his first two runs I had him down as potentially one of the best staying novices I’d seen. He was less impressive at Cheltenham – though hardly "very weak" up the hill – but I think he might just have been below his best and the form hasn’t worked out that badly in any event, has it?

His fall last time was totally out of character. It was hardly the ideal prep but you’d hope he’s learned from it.

Three miles will be right up his street.

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

The form has been strong gus, but Napolitain was very fortunate in the Scilly Isles.

‘Very Weak’ admittedly may be over-emphasizing it, but I watched the race and when he got onto that hill ad went backwards, I knew straight away that I wouldn’t do him for the R&SA.

BUt his jumping is absolutely superb – if he manages to get around 6L clear by the last, he’ll win (sounds a bit too obvious doesn’t it!)

I completely agree that Our Ben has not shown enough to be worthy of 4/1fav, it is ridiculous – but if you can find someone who hasn’t been impressed by him and will give you 10/1 (!!!), then log onto BF and pick up 11/2!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.