The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Royal Institution Christmas Lecture

Home Forums Lounge Royal Institution Christmas Lecture

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2152

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><br>"The Secret of the Winning Streak"

3 of 5. Professor Marcus du Sautoy explains why maths can bring success in gambling and game shows.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Who knows, he might have discovered some fractal patterns in the results.

best regards

wit<br>

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

Wit,

Interesting – without doubt I would have missed this had you not posted it…..

Royal Insitute Chiristmas Lecture – wouldn’t usually get a second glance…

Cheers :cool:

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Just as long as 4) isn’t the cartel and how they fix it by Alan Ridley:biggrin:

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

Quote: from FlatSeasonLover on 1:48 pm on Dec. 27, 2006[br]Just as long as 4) isn’t the cartel and how they fix it by Alan Ridley:biggrin:

<br>:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: <br>

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Beat me to it, FSL! :biggrin: <br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Thanks for reminder, wit.

I always pencil in these lectures, but sadly I never get to see them because of my wife’s preferences(even with Sky + and two boxes in the house).

I am seated in front of the TV now!

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I normally look forward (well, ish) to these programmes during the festive period, but thought tonight’s edition was pretty poor; as interesting as it is to know that ‘jail’ is the most visited square in Monopoly (which, without too much thought, is theoretically pretty obvious) and that some bloke couldn’t find his way around the town without crossing the same bridge twice.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2152

uh oh –  tomorrow’s edition is indeed:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><br>The Case of the Uncrackable Code

Professor Marcus du Sautoy reveals how mathematicians make and break secret messages, and challenges a team from Bletchley Park to unravel an ‘impenetrable’ code<br><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

best regards

wit

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Looked forward to this but thought it was a poor effort.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Any basic undertanding of statistics or chance surely indicates that there is absolutely no chance of a purely mathematical solution to gambling

Bleedin obvious isnt it???

Why do people persist with this rubbish :cheesy:

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2152

hi clivex,

to be fair, he never suggested there was a pure mathematical solution.

he basically did a very simple version of Nigel Speight’s piece on "while the results aren’t predictable, the punters are – know what they do and you can win bigger when you do win".

best regards

wit

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Thats more interesting . Rather like those economic theories about the nature of crowds etc

Remember as a kid at a fete… one of those "guess where the treasure is" games. Plant a small flag on a patch of grass…and guess what… 50 odd flags were all placed close together. I placed mine as far away as possible from the "crowd". And i won :cool:  (a quid i think)

Maybe thats relevent…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.