The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Rohaan

Home Forums Horse Racing Rohaan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1414

Rohaan completed his third handicap win today, his run starting from an opening mark of 55 to today 18lbs higher off 73 and duly won as if still well ahead of the handicapper.

Having been the subject of a big gamble on his handicap debut, 20/1 to an SP of 4/1, he made up about 10 lengths in a six furlong contest in the final furlong to win going away from a subsequent winner. He has since won easily in two more contests clearly still racing well ahead of the handicapper. It seems to me his ability was quite obviously disguised significantly in his novice contests to get him in off a lowly handicap mark.

Horses come through the handicap all the time for various reason I am well aware of, but this horse appears to have been significantly put away for handicaps and I am surprised more had been said or done about it.

T

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2766

Hello Tbracing. I’m not sure what can be done within the current rules.
    Spreadsheet won today on the flat, a full year after getting a mark of 85 ( Dec 20th 2019) dropped 31 pounds. Stewards comments or references from jockey the last four rides. The stable bided it’s time and targetted today a long way back. I don’t think any rules were broken and it was a beaten favourite on several occasions recently as punters anticapted a maiden win.

I use the Irish racing website and I find it excellent for close scrutiny of individual horses. It isn’t comprehensive in terms of foreign rides, but if I need more info I look elsewhere.
    I looked at videos of Duke of Firenze’s two rides prior to winning again recently and he is clearly held up at the rear and running on impressively when all chance is lost. Stewards enquired the second occasion these tactics were used. Jockey backed by trainer explained them away and comments were noted. Destroyed the field next time out at a big price when tactics were changed and the gloves were off. I backed him lto just as he reverted to type and came last. No worries I just continue race reading and pick up the occasional spot.

It is pretty difficult to pick up these horses in NH.
    Dre deals victims have won next time out as have the ones you refered to, so there is an angle to exploit from these plotted horses.

TheKryptonFactor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1287

The above analysis neglects to mention Rohaan was picked up at the Horses-in-Training sale from the George Scott yard (having run twice) for about 20k or so. So quite how much of the improvement can be attributed to simply gaming the system is certainly questionable.

TimJames
    Participant
    • Total Posts 293

‘He’ll go on improving’ – Evans investment paying off as Rohaan seals hat-trick

David Evans did a shrewd bit of business when he snapped up Rohaan for 20,000gns at October’s horses in training sales, for the youngster has pretty much paid for himself already and there could be much more to come.
    Rohaan’s win in the £10,200 nursery was his third of the month, and while his mark had already climbed from 55 to 73 he won this £10,200 race with plenty in hand, partnered for a second time by apprentice Darragh Keenan.
    Evans, who was watching from home, said: “I was at the sales and had a look at him because I trained his half-brother Dougan [won seven races for the stable and peaked with a mark of 100]. I watched his two previous races and they were on turf in soft and heavy ground, and he ran well for a fair way.
    “The previous connections obviously didn’t think a lot of him, but he’s got size and scope and I can’t fault him really. He’s now won on three different tracks, one straight and stiff, one right handed and now one left handed, and I’m pretty sure he’ll go on improving for a while. I think he’ll be fine on grass, but I’m going to take it steady.”

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2766

The above analysis neglects to mention Rohaan was picked up at the Horses-in-Training sale from the George Scott yard (having run twice) for about 20k or so. So quite how much of the improvement can be attributed to simply gaming the system is certainly questionable.”
    Quite.
    The facts are all there.
    What I didn’t neglect to mention was that the losing horses can be monitored and backed accordingly (or not) when they reappear as they should be fairly well treated. Also I should say Evans has not broken any rules.
    Well done to the op for flagging this up and hopefully, some money can be made!

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2766

Well Rohaan ran again today at Lingfield and I intended to back it having taken a keen interest in it’s progress. I posted on it, deciding to check the betting closer to the off as I expected Rohaan’s unbeaten rival to be well backed. Trainer Mark Johnston.
    On balance I decided to let it run unbacked as I didn’t think it would be able to enjoy it’s usual cover in a small field with an unbeaten opponent. In short, with the race unlikely to be run to suit, Rohaan was not a value bet.
    As it turns out, not only did the horse not win, there was a lengthy stewards intervention. The horse was examined and found to be not sound post race. On viewing the race video tonight the horse did not run soundly and when sent to challenge something was clearly not fluent in the horses action. An injury or strain up front seemed visible. The jockey was penalised but he seems to be the fall guy here. Credit to the winner whose fractions were run well and would have won anyway, but betting patterns may be revealing on the exchanges. The absent trainer appeared to be blaming a poor ride from the jockey, but did the horse make the track sound? Maybe nothing’s up and the horse pulled something in running. The jockey was banned for 14 days. (Sure to be overturned on appeal given the physical condition of the horse post race)
    Unaware of anything untoward until later tonight, I readily backed the stable’s other runner Obtuse which hacked up by several lengths to complete a four timer in the last race at Wolverhampton. Will be interesting to read the further fallout from this.

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 220

Given the evidence the official handicapper had to work with I doubt one could blame them for such a low initial mark.Two turf runs on soft & heavy before moving to Evans then finishing in the pack with horses rated in 50’s on debut for the stable means no mark above that could be considered.Although some of the rivals he’s vanquished have quite lofty ratings for what they have achieved personally I would be looking to his numbers for a better measure of ability and for me at the moment they are lacking.However he’s a gelding with promise and believe he could still progress but I reserve judgement until a later date.
    good luck to all

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2766

Jockey lost appeal but had ban reduced to ten days.
    Mitigating circumstances were that the horse was injured.
    Any QC worth his salt could argue successfully a defence as the horse was unsound.
    This was not Fallon, Dettori or Moore so he isn’t missing the Derby or a group one.
    Just would have been most interesting had a more rigorous defence been put up.
    The jockey takes the blame and gets a holiday, and the stewards don’t lose face.
    Very much hope the horse returns to racing sound and wins again soon.

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 220

After the race vet reported the horse was ONE TENTH lame?
    To my eyes the horse quickened well at the business end of the race and jockey deserved his ban as in my opinion gave away far too much ground.At the time the trainers rep also said trainer was unhappy about the ride.
    (I did not have any financial interest in the result)
    They clash again tonight in a ‘fast track qualifier’ at Kempton.
    good luck to all

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.