The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

RIP Prince Khalid Abdullah

Home Forums Horse Racing RIP Prince Khalid Abdullah

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hughes
    • Total Posts 23314

From ATR

Leading owner-breeder Khalid Abdullah has died, his Juddmonte Farms operations confirmed.

The Saudi prince has owned and bred some of the greatest equine names the sport has ever seen – with his famous green, pink and white silks carried by the likes of Frankel, Dancing Brave and dual Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe heroine Enable.

Abdullah’s colours were carried to victory by more than 500 Stakes winners, of which he bred over 440 – including 118 Group or Grade One winners, of which he bred 102.

Douglas Erskine Crum, CEO Juddmonte, said in a statement: “The whole of Juddmonte feels a huge sense of loss. Prince Khalid will always be remembered as a quiet, dignified, benevolent family man, whose horses spoke for him.

“He leaves a legacy that will stand the test of time. His contribution to the development of the thoroughbred will have long-lasting effects.”

Member since March 2008
    Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 666

Sad news but what a tremendous legacy he has left. It is incredible to think how many top class horses carried his silks and that he bred most of them.

Frankel and Dancing Brave must be the two best horses of my lifetime and I do not expect to ever see a better performance than the Brave’s Arc win.

I always thought his colours were really classy as well. The colour combination and pattern just worked.

Ghost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 748

That’s put a dampener to 2021 :(

Whenever I looked through a 2YO newcomer race and saw his name linked to a horse, there was always an anticipation that it could be the next superstar of the Flat.

Great post Cork All Star … your post sums it all up for me. Dancing Brave’s Arc win is my favourite winning performance of all time. Never seen such a high-quality race ripped apart by a monumental blast of equine violence.

Remembering the great Prince…

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 11098

Will forever associate him with Sir Henry Cecil and Frankel and the way he stood by Henry Cecil when he hit a particularly bad patch in his life and training career and then throughout his debilitating illness Prince Khalid never lost faith in the genius he saw therein and was rewarded when Frankel retired to stud an unbeaten Champion having won 14 races 12 of them at Group level.

He leaves a wonderful legacy to racing of his past successes on the track along with Frankel notably Dancing Brave & Enable and not forgetting Midday, Timepiece and Twice Over.

Thank you Prince Khalid for all that you did for racing throughout your lifetime, you will be sadly missed. :heart:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Nathan Hughes
    • Total Posts 23314

I’d add Oasis Dream to that wonderful list too Jac,
    I think Battaash would have had a real battle on his hands up against Oasis Dream

Member since March 2008
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3115

A little oddity from the career of a great owner/breeder. The 2000 Guineas in 1989 was all about Nashwan, before, during and after. The rest of the field got very little attention.

Which would have suited Prince Khalid, who owned the second and third, Exbourne and Danehill, whilst the fourth, Markofdistinction, was a son of his first classic winner Known Fact.

Markofdistinction of course went on to win the QEII later that year, whilst Danehill won the Haydock Sprint and was a huge success at stud for Coolmore.

Exbourne is probably the forgotten horse, but he was probably the first link in the chain that led to a horse being named Frankel. Exbourne never ran again in the UK, where he was trained by Guy Harwood. He sustained an injury at home prepping for the Derby and eventually, Harwood suggested sending the horse to the USA. He was sent to Robert Frankel, with another Harwood/Abdulla horse, called Marquetry, as company.

Exbourne won the Grade 1 Hollywood Turf Handicap on May 27th, 1991, and I believe he was the first Grade 1 winner for Juddmonte in the USA. A month later, Marquetry won the Grade 1 Hollywood Gold Cup and the Frankel/Juddmonte connection never looked back.

If anybody knows of an earlier US winner I’ve missed, please put me right.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 666

The one that got away to an extent was Zafonic. Injury curtailed his career but his performance in the 2,000 Guineas is the best I have seen in that race apart from Frankel and possibly El Gran Senor. He slammed Barathea, a subsequent Breeders Cup Mile winner. It was scintillating.

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 11098

Yes Nathan..have to give a mention to the great and recently retired Oasis Dream out of Green Desert and Hope (daughter of Dancing Brave).

Also at Juddmonte is Kingman currently carrying on Prince Khalid’s legacy with Frankel, Expert Eye and Bated Breath …the list goes on and on. :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 204

A very sad loss to racing and especially the breeding industry.
    Although the Prince will leave a formidable legacy for me he never got the respect due with the media always expressing more interest over Godolphin & O’Brien.He quietly went his own way building what has become probably the best breeding operation in the world and all by his own efforts.Although many of his horses are mentioned above allow me to put forward two who also run in those illustrious colours,Warning & Kingman.Warning became somewhat an underachiever as a 4yo but still a miler from the top draw.Probably not a view that will find favour with some people I think Kingman has the potential to be even better than Frankel at stud.Although maybe a Derby winner will not be included in his offspring however his record to date at lesser trips stands him in good stead.
    RIP Sir you will be very much missed.
    good luck to all

Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1707

The two horses that stand out for me are Zafonic and the last Derby winner on a Wednesday Commander in Chief. Both represented my first ever 2,000 Guineas and Derby winners back in 1993.

The Commander (by Dancing Brace) never got the credit other dual Derby winners seem to get nowadays, though he was 5 from 6 and lost only in the King George which proved to be his final race. That year Prnce Khalid also won the Dante Stakes with Tenby and had numerous winners with the likes of Henry Cecil, Batty Hills, Andre Fabre and Roger Charlton.

He fully deserved to own a horse like Frankel and I’m glad it was in his ownership.

May he rest in peace!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.