The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

results

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    stanners
    • Total Posts 5

hi forum people…this is the first time i’ve joined a racing forum that people actually use and it looks great. regular posts? constructive debates? variety of topics? have i been living in a cave? probably, so i apologise for my naivity. anyway i am constantly looking for new angles and edges ( aren’t we all eh? ) , spending endless hours typing in results, calculating,
    deleting, copying, pasting, and all the other joys of spreadsheets and databases. so to the point, is there anybody out there that can save me a lifetime of punching in data by offering the last 3 years flat results (2006-2008) in excel format? i have previously created theories on fairly small amounts of data and tested them to a consistent level of success and profit. the profits were relatively small and now i would like to refine the criteria over a large sample base and test it out. i would be over the moon if anyone could help and certainly be willing to share my information at a later date to see what reaction i gain from the bigger brains on the forum.
    thanks.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Hello there

Welcome to the forum

Unfortunatley I don’t have the info you require but you will probably get more response by posting your query in the main forum section and/or the systems section

This section tends to be a bit of a ghost-town at the best of times with rob north keeping it ticking over almost single-handedly

Best of luck

stanners
    • Total Posts 5

Hello there

Welcome to the forum

Unfortunatley I don’t have the info you require but you will probably get more response by posting your query in the main forum section and/or the systems section

This section tends to be a bit of a ghost-town at the best of times with rob north keeping it ticking over almost single-handedly

Best of luck

thanks for the advice

quadrilla
    • Total Posts 468

Hi Stanners

Welcome to TRF.

Subscribe to RI – flat only.

http://www.raceform.co.uk/

Get the disk – 10 years worth of results. Export your data. :lol:

Then cancel the subscription.

Or keep it going. :wink:

• Total Posts 772

Hi stanners

i am more that happy to discuss any "data" issues. My approach to horse racing tries to balance the role of the computer & the need for human interpretation. (the electronic slave can do all the number crunching 8) )

I have data up to 19sep08 flat & jumps, if you need it.

byefrom
    carlisle

ps "always looking for cohorts……"

• Total Posts 772

Hi stanners

i am more that happy to discuss any "data" issues. My approach to horse racing tries to balance the role of the computer & the need for human interpretation. (the electronic slave can do all the number crunching 8) )

byefrom
    carlisle

• Total Posts 772

Whoops….

Participant
    • Total Posts 7520

Hello stanners!

Well to ‘my section’ of the Forum, with occasional guest contributions from carlisle!

As far as databases are concerned. Have you tried Adrian Massey’s database. Using the ‘Favourites Section’ of the database allows you analyse all runners, he just classifies them by position in the betting. He’s done his own study of each type of race, both using Favourites and his own rating, but he does have a Custom Section which may be of help to you.

As for me, I make my own notes on races then use the ‘My Notes’ facility to append them to the races in the Racing Post results section. I do analysis for all races in Scotland and chases at Carlisle, Hexham, Newcastle, Sedgefield, Cartmel and Catterick. For the chasers I try to enter a comment for runners. That means I’m familiar with most chasers that run in this area, I tend to remember stuff well anyway, and I can quickly study any outside raiders.

Rob

fragle123
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6

Hi Carlisle
    just wondering what method you use for getting your data of the web ? im a bit of a novice really with excel but have been using web querys just recently after doing it manually for ages, i do know that some people use VB to login and automatically download past results or the days cards off sl and rp but i dont know where to begin with that, i have been on alot of excel forums but as soon as they think what you are after is sports related they ignore you have you had the same experience with this or been lucky enough to find a site thats willing to help with these matters. It saves me alot of work using web querys but still have to copy and paste quite a bit though. :?:

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

fragle, you could subscribe to racingsense. You can up-load the results daily from there into an access database and then run your own queries in excel from that.

• Total Posts 772

Hi davejay

what are your experiences of "racingsense"…… ?
    Do you use their ratings?

I am a big "Solidus" fan….. however i am less than impressed with the website. My main concern is to obtain any additions and update to the original books.

cheers from
    carlisle 8)

• Total Posts 772

Hi fragle123

yeah i have dabbled with quite a few data capture methods. You pulling all your hair out eventually :roll:

The data infra-structure must run like clockwork….mmmmmmmm
    purrrring like a kitten.

I guess that costs a bit…. but ultimately it’s worth it.

byefrom
    carlisle 8)

ps "i am sure this is the 3rd time i have watched this episode of "Bargain Hunt"?

• Total Posts 772

Hi robnorth

"your section…?" oh yeah, sorry it’s your section.

It’s very difficult to have a sense of ownership with other peoples ideas & data fields.

Having said that, over time you get to trust certain peoples opinion.

I think when i trainer comes on the tv and says "he wouldn’t want it soft"….or "he goes well fresh" that sort of comment is worth saving in a database along with other little gems. These would act as an enhancement to the big global datafields, like Going, Distance, Course ….speed & class ratings.The finetunning of selections requires very precise data types, that can only be gathered by watching and listening. 8)

byefrom
    carlisle

stanners
    • Total Posts 5

Hi stanners

byefrom
    carlisle

thanks for the offer. very kind. i’ve just downloaded 4 yrs of results but they need a bit of sorting out…so yeah i would like to take up your offer if its still there and do a bit of cohorting…hehe. i guess we should become buddies and all that so i can give you my email …am i right…of course i am….. laters.

stanners
    • Total Posts 5

[who is the Adrian Massey, where is he? could you elaborate please. i be new around these parts.

• Total Posts 772

Hi stanners

sure thing…. i have set myself a target to make £250,000 from betting by the
    4th October 2010. "No holds barred"

The clocks ticking 8) ……

i will PM you my email addy.

cheers from
    carlisle

Participant
    • Total Posts 7520

Hi robnorth

"your section…?" oh yeah, sorry it’s your section.

Sorry carlisle!

That was very much tongue in cheek following the second post in the thread. The more who contribute to this section the better!

stanners

Adrian Massey’s site is at

http://www.adrianmassey.com

Rob

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.