The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Red Rock Canyon

Home Forums Horse Racing Red Rock Canyon

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

RRC runs in a €7K maiden at Tipperary tonight.

I’m not normally one to knock Ballydoyle/Coolmore but I personally think that this is a disgrace and really shows what Coolmore think of the sport in general and other owners in particular.

The horse has finished 3rd in 2 x Gr1s and 4th in another. What exactly is a win in a €7K maiden going to do for RRC’s stud fee (assuming the horse ever actually gets to stud!)?

Does Coolmore really need this extra €7K so badly that he is willing to stop a smaller owner from having his/her day in the sun?

Shameful behaviour IMO.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Do you think he’ll win then David? I’m a layer at odds-on as I think the horse is ungenuine. The problem is twofold- the race looks poor and there must be the possibility of a few easy rides: who wants to be handicapped on a two-length second to RRC!
    Personally I think they have every right to try and get a win into a horse that has been extremely valuable to them- but I’m not certain he’ll take advantage- I vividly remember him dogging it in a maiden at Leopardstown one day.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Nothing to do with the 7,000 Euros and everything to do with the horse.

He’s been a grand servant, galloping his heart out for the cause at the highest level.

However as a non-winner in 20 starts I can fully understand that they want to sweeten him up by trying to get his head in front at the lowest level.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Agreed.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

What a strange statement.

Coolmore have done so much this year alone for Irish Racing this year by plotting dozens of there horse abroad and not covering the park with multiple entries.

They should be allowed to race RRC where ever he wants….he deserves to win a race and i actually am delighted there giving him a chance.

Strange how you can criticize this move as where i am sitting most are welcoming it

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Yeah I agree with the majority, he just needs to learn to get his head in front.

However, the 4/9 is surely one of the worst bets that we’ll see all season? Definitely a layer at that price and will be putting up any winnings on Kingdom of Munster as liability.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Quite fancy this Outofnowhere to be the winner.

Edit – scratch that, non-runner

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

How ironic. A pacemaker missed the break.

Has now not even been in the top 2 in 22 months.

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

He lost?

If they’re teaching RRC to be a legitimate winning competitor nowadays, that might take some time.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Not only lost Myles, but reached new heights of dogginess being very slowly away- you’ve got to think he’s of limited use even as a pacemaker now.

Arsene Abitbol
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6

I AGREE IT IS ONLY NATURAL THAT THEY WANT HIM TO BAG A RACE. ONE THING THAT I CANT UNDERSTAND IS HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT HE DIDNT PERFORM YESTERDAY HAVING BEEN PLACED IN MUCH SMARTER COMPANY. HORSES ALWAYS SURPRISE US.

http://www.europeanhorseracing.blogspot.com

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

The Top Dog in training runs tonight in a 10f maiden at Roscommon. Can he make it 22 career defeats, 6 of which were at odds-on!

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

You know, I think he can…

BoroLewis
    • Total Posts 5

Last time over 7f obviously wasn’t his best trip, I still think he ran well last time (race worked out well) even though I din’t think that he would win. Tonight however over 10f his ideal trip I can see him winning this one quite easy, the 10/11 at laddies seems to be buying money for me, I’m on him anyway.

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

Presumably he’ll be sent straight to stud now! :lol:

Roddy Owen
    Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Probably miss the start of that too. Lacks bottle in my view. Wouldn`t want his progeny.

Seventy Four
    Participant
    • Total Posts 155

Well I want to say a huge "Congratulations" to Red Rock Canyon ! :D

I am delighted he has won a race at long last and will not retire a "maiden". He may well have a mind of his own, but in all seriousness, he was never put in a race last season in which he had the slightest chance of winning, and he did very well to be placed in Group 1 company behind Dylan Thomas in 2007 and Duke of Marmalade in 2008, whilst his prize money alone when placed has earned connections almost £160,000 !

His past record included two defeats by just a neck (one to Teofilio, when making his debut), and also a half-length second, and I really feel that the horse has been unjustly maligned. He is, and always will be, one of my favourites – how boring life would be if we did not have these "characters", and I have no doubt in my mind that though yesterday’s winning margin was only 1 length, it was probably a little easier than that.

Red Rock Canyon thoroughly deserved his day of glory at Roscommon, and I think the trip last night suited him better than the 7 furlongs at Tipperary, which may have been on the sharp side for him. Connections also dispensed with the blinkers last night.

So well done Red Rock – here’s hoping that you may prove all your doubters wrong by bagging another race soon, and then heading for a life of leisure at stud. :wink:

(Flames expected and fireproof and bulletproof jackets are on, though I’m really too old to care !)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.