The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Real time races on the internet?

Home Forums Horse Racing Real time races on the internet?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ursens
    • Total Posts 15

Hi
    By paying 11 Euro I just became a member of Attheraces to watch the races live on my PC. But they show not all races and they are not in real time. So there is actually no real improvement to the free Live Videos from Betfair!
    I know Racing UK also offers Live Video, but they charge 25 pound per month… Does RUK have all races and are they without delay?
    Where could I get the races in real time??
    (when I bet a Betfair, I can see it on the odds that many other people must be able to watch the races in real time)

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2003

You have to go to the racecourse itself to see the races in real time. That’s what many of those dictating the odds you see are doing.

Here’s an article that outlines the current state of play. I would strongly advise against betting in-play on UK races sitting at a PC in Germany.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oc … ing-course

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

I’d be with Glenn on this one – you’re betting on a time delay, given the time delay from actual real time to ATR "live" is roughly 4 or 5 seconds (I think) with those with SIS (£10k+ per year) betting with even faster pictures then watching via the website you’re likely to be 8 or 9 seconds behind what’s actually happened IMO.

You’d have to be very very very good to be able to bet successfully on those time delays.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Via my ADSL (phone line) modem RUK’s live pictures are delayed by approximately 10 seconds at best and 25 seconds at worst

May be quicker via a cable modem, don’t know

Take Glenn’s advice

ursens
    • Total Posts 15

Thank you very much for your informative answers and the very interesting Guardian article!!

It’s quite a bit disappointing that it seems impossible to get the races without delay :( At least I detected that William Hill Radio is some seconds quicker than ATR.

Do you may be know other internet radios without delays?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1659

I’m not sure if you can bet from outside the US, but http://www.xpressbet.com/, http://www.youbet.com/, and http://www.twinspires.com/content/ all offer live video along with online wagering for tracks in America, Canada, and a few in Europe and Australia.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Will’s article is spot on and there has been a noticeable proliferation in the number of boxes being used by these in-running punters.

At one course at least they have even paid for their own wi-fi to be installed.

The players are very secretive, some will just about tolerate journalists talking to them but as soon as a camera appears they get very shirty. I know The Post were trying to get some photos last week and even an offer of pixilation of faces was robustly declined. Eventually one group agreed to a photo of the laptops only.

Yesterday at Plumpton there were four boxes full of in-running players.

At some courses they even employ “spotters” at key points round the course to get one over on camera angles or, at places like Exeter, when visibility is poor. If you look at the in-running records at the last foggy Exeter meeting, even though there were virtually no decent camera shots or meaningful commentary, the in running prices were spot on, especially when horses fell.

There is even a report of a punch up at one course where reps from rival groups had fisticuffs over a prime viewing pitch at one of the fences.

Bascially punters at home do not have a chance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Tricasts at Thirsk
    Draw bias
    …now on-course in-running

Another case of an immature exploitable market being pounced upon by the few, quickly followed by the many. The bandwagon fills to over-capacity, the market matures and edge is lost.

Leave those on-course with their laptops, ear-pieces, wifi and spotters to share out the dwindling margins amongst themselves.

Soon – with luck on their side – they will be getting the sov back for every sov invested a strong-form efficient market decrees and the train ticket to Plumpton will be just one of the exes that led that wannabe 19th century in-runner Wilkins Micawber to lament

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

Will’s article is spot on and
    Yesterday at Plumpton there were four boxes full of in-running players.

Good grief!!!
    As Drone suggests above, conditions must be close whereby a declining critical mass of available money is reached in which on-course InRunning players have only other on-course InRunning bettors to engage them. Surely at this point in time most if not all stay-at-home punters recognise the folly of betting in-running during the final furlong.

How does this recent trend towards on-course InRunning betting affect the operators of Exchange Shops/Trading Rooms? Or those individuals paying the domestic SIS rate of £8 K per annum? Both systems are now obsolete, surely ………. or at least not as attractive a proposition as they once were?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

At least I detected that William Hill Radio is some seconds quicker than ATR.

Do you may be know other internet radios without delays?

Timeform Radio is also quicker than ATR by what feels like about two seconds, though I’ve not got round to timing it as yet.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

ursens
    • Total Posts 15

I checked now several online radios. Timeform radio is often even slower then ATR. Coral and Sporting Life radio (it’s the same) are a bit quicker, and I think Willhill is still the quickest, depends on the course.
    I suppose they are still slower then SIS pictures in the UK?

To be honest, I don’t care much about it. I look if a horse looks well and if the race is longer than 2m, I have time enough until the race really starts. :|

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.