The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

rating a race

Home Forums Tipping and Research Systems rating a race

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    class tells
    • Total Posts 207

what would be the best way to rate a race the full race as one rating i can rate it money wise as vdw have thought of reversing the vdw points 1st=9pts then add together last three runs add them all up then average out but maybe to time consuming any thoughts anyone

slipperytoadslipperytoad
    • Total Posts 419

"Artemis" has written some awesome articles on the subject in this and the main horse racing forum..

Conduct a search using his name (in both subject line and main body of message) and you will learn all there is to know about rating a race.. All for free :biggrin:

Now thats what I call value … ;)

class tells
    • Total Posts 207

no i would like to rate the race  not the horses i know i will have to rate the horses first but i would like a rating as to how competitive each race is in the past and in the future a race full of winners should be more competitive than a race full of unplaced animals there must be a way of rating a race for competitivness using simple or paper ratings sorry if i was vague

PompetePompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Hi class tells…what paper and what ratings will you be using – RP, Raceform, Weekender?

May be able to help if using Raceform.

class tells
    • Total Posts 207

would like to use simple vdw ratings but am changing to racform for the flat because it gives you better trainer track and jockey stats would like to rate all races past and future for competitivness if a horse is coming down in money and competitivness , class and class of track good bet perhaps ?

PompetePompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Class tells…I don’t know if this helps but I produce a competitivness figure based on performance for a Race as follows:

1 – Add together the Raceform ratings for all the placed runners.<br>2 – Add to the above any weight carried less than 11-10 NH or 10-00 Flat.<br>3 – Divide by number of placed runners.

For example:

1st          Horse A    10-07          Rated – 100<br>2nd         Horse B    11-00          Rated – 101<br>3rd          Horse C    10-00         Rated – 90

((100+101+90)+(19+12+26)) / 3) = 116 (at 11-10)

By making the above adjust to 11-10 for all races NH, I can compare each race like for like. It is by no means perfect as it reilies on the Raceform Ratings and takes no account of Speed into account but as a rough rule of Class I think it has a certain merit.

The only major drawback is it tends to undermine winning form, so I would bear that in mind.

On average It takes about 20mins to rate a weeks worth of returns.

As I said, not sure if this is what you’ve after but good luck anyway.

Pete

class tells
    • Total Posts 207

sorry pompete but it looks more like a class rating rather than a  competitivness rating looking for a rating that will tell me what kind of form the horses in the race are in were there a lot of winners in the race rated two races using reverse vdw ratings spring cup average rating 21 winter derby rating 18 spring cup slightly more competitive

PompetePompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Hi class tells…I see what your getting at. Interesting stuff, but sorry can’t help.

class tells
    • Total Posts 207

if i add the average bhb rating of a race with the average reverse vdw rating do people think that this will be good enough rating or should i use top bhb rating or top bhb rating at 10st on the flat along with reverse vdw[its not so simple any more] looking to add points for competitivness,reverse vdw averaged out looks to be a good rough indication of what was in the race but does,nt tell you enough i.e class

Have fun
    • Total Posts 128

Pompete<br>hope you don’t mind but liked what you wrote to do with Raceform ratings and was thinking of adding a bit or two so as to get a better rating will keep you informed when I’ve put it to work, this is what I like about forums there is always something diff to see which switches on a sign in your brain and gets you thinking and its usually a diff approach to adding or subtracting a rating as said will keep you informed

have fun

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.