The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Radio 5 Plumbs New Depths

Home Forums Horse Racing Radio 5 Plumbs New Depths

Viewing 10 posts - 52 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Blackheath
    • Total Posts 105

What this thread says to me is that enthusiasts of horse racing expect those in a position to influence how the sport is broadcast and presented to do that for the good of the sport. Some hopes !

As for the acceptance of change there are three types of change. Change for the better, change for the worse and change for changes sake. Politicians are always telling the people that they must accept change. What they mean is comply and do it my way.

Broadcasting and the media will be dumbed down. Resistance is futile.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9061

But, much as I hate the way that people are encouraged to drink too much at racecourses [and it has put me off going as often as I used to] surely there’s nothing wrong with making people realise that racing can actually be fun [take for example last night at Wimbledon during the Andy Murray game; there was a lot of humour and playing to the crowd towards the end]. Have to be honest and say that I haven’t actually heard the radio broadcast, and perhaps if I did I would feel differently. Maybe they were trying to make people see what if was like cheering your horse on; I’m sure if everyone in the country had a win in a big race at a formative age they would be as hooked as I am [Grand National; 1964 Team Spirit!].

Participant
    • Total Posts 31538

This thread has gone way over the top.

Surely it all depends on how often this type of thing happens. If it is just a one off then what matters?

Had I heard it live no doubt I would’ve been frustrated and probably found it humourless. But that’s speaking as a racing enthusiast.

No doubt non-racing listeners did find it mildly amusing.

If it is not going to be the norm, I don’t see the problem.

Value Is Everything
    Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Hmmm, now this debate is more interesting!

I could not be bothered to wade through the whole thing and did not even hear the racing bits. It does, however, sound like an injudicious attempt to get the racing in whilst trying to appease their usual listenership.

Now should that be at the expense of racing fans? IMO, no – but then I’m biased.

I’m not convinced that non-racing fans enjoyed this racing taster – does anyone know? (apart from the friend of John Hunt’s mum – a cracking source, admittedly)

I suspect that any film fans who stumbled across the racing will not be switching on the telly on Saturday’s to see the Sport of Kings.

Bottom line is – I think the whole thing sounds embarrassing full stop. It’s a bit patronising to both parties to have sound affects and get the audience to go "ooohhh." Surely they could have asked Brucie F to do the commentary?

The producer does need a word in his ear IMHO.

Why does radio 5 have to dumb down what is a prestigious event, and surely their jewel in the crown, racing wise, along with Chelters?

Zippy

(Cue: *whoosh* & puff of smoke as I disappear underneath the stage)

Ps,
    Fair do’s to Mr Hunt for responding – it does add insight.

railway guard
    • Total Posts 15

When I switch on the watch the Ashes later in the summer I will be most upset if they do not keep the cameras on any Mexican Waves, Beer Snakes and people in fancy dress. That is what most cricket fans will be tuning in after all and if they are not cricket fans they will want to see that type of thing more than the cricket, which is, let’s face it, pretty dull.

So it is with the racing at Royal Ascot. What a pity Leslie Crowther is no longer available to show them how it should be done

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9061

That time whent he Australian Cricket Team came out wearing sunglasses a couple of years ago was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.It was brilliant when the guy who played Murray yesterday deliberately fell over after the match..no matter how exciting a particular sport is or can be those are the moments that you remember [well, I do]. Years ago I was watching the BBC coverage of the National and Sue Pollard was talking about a horse called

The Thirsty Farmer and she was giggling because he was described as ‘goes well in the mud’…it might be dumbing down and lightweight but there’s something wrong it you can’t have a laugh occasionally.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

My daughter, who is a regular listener to the film review was not happy that they went to the racing at all.

I did give her a severe reprimand! :roll:

Colin

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

"So am I, Colin!"

:shock: You’ve got married and I didn’t get an invite?!?! :cry:

Colin

• Total Posts 1904

Mark Kermode’s film review is the highlight of the radio week in any civilised household.

Unfortunately, it was completely ruined last week. Not only did they interrupt it for some horse race or other, they kept asking the audience what they thought. Who cares what they think? I don’t tune in to listen to some nobody from nowhere stumbling over a feeble joke they spent the entire week preparing.

The BBC are obsessed with giving people what they think people want, even though they though know it’s crap.

• Total Posts 2390

I do hope the ‘

significantly different audience

‘ that John Hunt used as an excuse for last weeks carry-on, are enjoying Wimbledon today. :wink:

Viewing 10 posts - 52 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.