The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing UK/Setanta subs.

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing UK/Setanta subs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

If you subscribe to Racing UK like me, for £15 per month, you may have noticed that on the Setanta website you can now get all the same channels for £9.99 a month with no 12 month contract. I’ve contacted Setanta about this and after much interrogation and reluctance on their part to offer any kind of explanation to me [having joined through RUK initially], it transpires that in order to get this £9.99 you have to speak to cancellations dept, give 30 days notice to cancel and then re apply through the Setanta website.
    The drawback, if it is one, is that you don’t get the admission tickets to racecourses sent to you from RUK and other special offers. If these don’t mean much to you or you rarely go to the races, then it might be worth considering, but what a palaver !

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

i’ll accept the package for £15 – it took me 5 mths to haggle it down to that from the £20 i was giving ntl for RUK on its own so the 7 channels for £15 is a bonus imo, and the ricky hatton fight for no extra, if thats a taste of things to come with premier footy and more boxing make it well worth the half the price of a cup of tea it costs per day – longs as it keeps working i’m happy

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

I’ve just fired off an email asking for the "new" price.

Let you know how I get on.

Mike

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

I subscribed to Setanta back in January and £15 has been leaving my account each month.

Does this mean that I will now only pay £10 or is this only for new subscribers as usual e.g. the Frankie offer?

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

I have received this reply from Setanta:

Thank you for your e-mail and please accept my apologies for the delay in response.

In response to your query regarding the pricing structure of the subscription, I can confirm that Setanta Sports, as with any business, initiate several offers throughout the course of the year to attract new customers. Each offer is aimed at different segments of the market and specific criteria has to be met for eligibility and the recent introduction of the £9.99 per month subscription rate is available to new customers only.

However, as advised, many different offers are launched throughout the year, some of which are available to new and existing customers so please continue to visit http://www.setanta.com for all the latest news, updates and announcements which are released on our website in the first instance, as soon as they are available.

If further information or assistance is required, please call our Customer Services team on the number below. Our lines are open from 8.00 am to midnight, seven days a week.

Yours sincerely
    Karen Robertson
    Setanta Sports Customer Services

In other words, we’ve got your money now f*** off and stop bothering us.

Mike

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

Yep I think that sums it up. Racing Uk just like the bookies only ever offer free bets to new customers once they’ve got you on file thats it. (though some bookies do treat their customers better than others).

Re Frankie offer surprise surprise it was only for Sky customers once again the two main racing channels ignore the three million on Virgin I bet the £9.99 offer is only for Sky too.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

If you buy a flat screen television, for the sake of argument, for £500 and then find out someone else got it for £400 in a sale, do you march into the store demanding a £100 refund?

No.

Prices change, and offers will come and go in the hope of attracting new customers – what they are not designed to do is alienate existing customers. You make a choice about when to join a service such as Racing UK and/or Setanta, and you agree to pay the going rate at the time. If, as is the case with most things, that price decreases in the future then it’s nothing more than tough titty (as annoying as that may seem).

The mobile contract I started four years ago is now hideously expensive in comparison to some that are available today, but that’s just the way it is. If I wanted to change it I would have to, reasonably, cancel it and take out another.

Simple, sensible and pretty common.

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

Betlarge, since first becoming a Sky digital customer 7 years ago I have received a new digi box and a new dish from Sky, free of charge.
    I moved house a few years ago and the box got damaged. I rang Sky looking for a replacment. They told me that I had to pay for a replacement box. I hung up. Ringing back in a bit of a temper I told the rep that I wanted to cancel my subscription. I was put in touch with a supervisor.
    The next week a new box was delivered to me and installed free of charge!!!
    I had a similar occourance with a storm damaged(football hit) dish.
    Rang up, "I would like to cancel my subcription…". new dish installed, the following week, free of charge.
    Try this method with Setanta. Ring up and say you just want to cancel your sub. If they call your bluff…. so what…"I’ll think about it"

griff11
    Participant
    • Total Posts 116

…..actually LetsGetRacing, over here you would take the TV back and buy the cheaper one. If it was on sale a couple of weeks later in the same shop that you purchased it, you would take your receipt in and they would refund you the £100 difference.

I’ve done it many times, even 2 months later, no problem.

Thought you might like to know that!!

Onto the subject in hand.

It costs me £1.61 per month extra to get the racing channel. That includes racing from Canada, all over the States, two meetings a night from Australia (worth the money for that alone) sometimes from Hong King and the Arc in the autumn.

Compared to what I read here, that’s value for money.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

If you buy a flat screen television, for the sake of argument, for £500 and then find out someone else got it for £400 in a sale, do you march into the store demanding a £100 refund?

No.

Yes!!

Anyway, this was a new subscription taken out just a few days before Ugly Mare pointed out the 9.99 rate – it was most likely to have been available at the same time as I forked out 14.99.

Furthermore, I have also had a subscription to RUK at even higher rates for a number of years at a different location.

Mike

cheltboy
    • Total Posts 129

Virgin Media has just announced:
    From July 26, new and existing customers who take Virgin Media’s XL basic TV package will get six Setanta sports channels for free. Apparently this including the racing channels.

Brilliant news for us with Virgin media.

information from guardian media website

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

Finally us Virgin Media customers getting something about time too.

cheltboy
    • Total Posts 129

Just to confirm six setanta channels on offer : Racing UK, Golf, Setanta Sport 1 and 2, plus Celtic and Rangers TV.

Great news for VM customers. This will make VM worth getting if you don’t have it.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

Just to point out if you dont have xl package you will only have to pay £8 a month for them so still great value

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

I pay extra if they promised not to give me RangersTV. :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.